First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Bob, have you got a list of questions compiled? Maybe if we start a thread we can all ask those basic questions when we go to the events and see if we get a consistent set of answers and cover all the bases? I'll be happy to ask in Dallas in two weeks, and I have two appointments so I should have time to ask them all.
I like it!

I have a few questions that are spread over a couple of different post. Be nice to post everything in one area.
Sponsored

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
Based on how I would option the truck, the loss of payload and towing is not going to make a hill of beans to me and to how I intend on using my truck. Based on the numbers Ford released, here is what you lose (I realize options matter) on a 4x4 Platinum 5.5' Bed truck.

Max Payload: 2,100 (eb) vs. 1,830 (pb) = 270lbs
Max Towing: 13,900 (eb) vs. 12,400 (pb) = 1,500lbs

It should be noted that a 2020 EB Platinum has a Max Payload of 2,030lbs and a Max Towing of 12,700lbs. So, YOY moving from EB to the PB you lose 200lb/300lbs overall.

My Jeep combo (Jeep + trailer) is about 6,500lbs. My wife wants a camper trailer (eventually), which should also be about 6,500 lbs. Both are too much for the 6,400lb capacity of my Tacoma, but a PB Platinum will pull it without a wimper.
Your payload numbers are off, the EB is 3250 and PB 2150 that’s 1100 lbs difference. Huge difference

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Your payload numbers are off, the EB is 3250 and PB 2150 that’s 1100 lbs difference. Huge difference
Not so - on a 4x4 SuperCrew with 5.5' bed, payload on an EB is 2,100 and on the PB is 1,830.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Your comparing apples and oranges. For 2021, in order to get 3,250lbs of payload you have to buy an EB 2WD longbed standard cab truck. The PB is only available in the supercrew with a max of 2,120lb in the 2WD 6.5' bed configuration. Note that my numbers were based on a Platinum 4x4 Supercrew, which is what I intend on buying. I took the numbers directly off the recently released technical specifications sheet Ford just released.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I really would like to see how/when the electric portion is utilized before I decide..
I was hoping the battery would allow some light usage of the inverter before starting the engine.. But doesn't look that way..

Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
I really would like to see how/when the electric portion is utilized before I decide..
I was hoping the battery would allow some light usage of the inverter before starting the engine.. But doesn't look that way..
I'm curious about this too. What leads you to believe the engine is going to kick in immediately when a load is plugged into the ProPower outlets?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I'm glad you asked that question. My thought process was that the battery would provide the needed juice for as long as it could, but once the battery reached a drain level, the engine would kick on to supplement until the power was no longer needed or the battery was fully again.

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
Your comparing apples and oranges. For 2021, in order to get 3,250lbs of payload you have to buy an EB 2WD longbed standard cab truck. The PB is only available in the supercrew with a max of 2,120lb in the 2WD 6.5' bed configuration. Note that my numbers were based on a Platinum 4x4 Supercrew, which is what I intend on buying. I took the numbers directly off the recently released technical specifications sheet Ford just released.
Ah ok all good. The way the posted it I figured it would be all be the spec (supercrew) as the Powerboost is only available in that configuration.

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
Not so - on a 4x4 SuperCrew with 5.5' bed, payload on an EB is 2,100 and on the PB is 1,830.
Huh really eh. Ok well I stand corrected. I switched my choice based on payload and towing capacity. But more worried about long term problems with Powerboost incase I stick with this truck for a while past the warranty.

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Huh really eh. Ok well I stand corrected. I switched my choice based on payload and towing capacity. But more worried about long term problems with Powerboost incase I stick with this truck for a while past the warranty.
I believe Ford also announced that all components of the hybrid powertrain would be covered by an 8 year warranty / 100,000 mile warranty.

Sponsored

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
I believe Ford also announced that all components of the hybrid powertrain would be covered by an 8 year warranty / 100,000 mile warranty.
Where did you see that?

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
And another reason I’m in Northern Ontario Canada. Batteries don’t like to freeze we often get -30 to -40degrees celcius

Canada-guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Sales
Yep, the power/torque numbers seemed pretty good the first time I read through them last night, and as the day has worn on I'm starting to think it is a lot of added cost and complexity for marginal performance gains (and an actual reduction in payload and towing capacity). It will pull better, but can't pull as much.

Fuel mileage is really going to be a deciding factor for me.

Realistically, even though I optioned up to the 7.2kW pro power, I'm not sure I'll ever use it, and the thought of actually using it for a prolonged period of time where the engine has to kick on and off for a couple of hours of idle time seems foolish - putting hours on an engine that is part of a $70k truck, as opposed to putting hours on a portable generator might not be a smart choice.

Overall I think the novelty of the hybrid and pro power is wearing off, and I'm left wondering if the ecoboost is the better choice. I sure hope fuel mileage numbers come out soon.
I had the same same questions and decision to make. And just the fact that I was second guessing myself I went with the EB. Proven engine. Lots of HP and torque.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm curious about this too. What leads you to believe the engine is going to kick in immediately when a load is plugged into the ProPower outlets?
From what I've read, the engine is running when using the generator.. The 400w inverter is different, but anything from the plugs in the bed would require the truck to be running from what I've seen..