Sponsored

Powerboost or standard 3.5

Crfdude86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Raptor
Was all set on ordering a hybrid and when they released the numbers it’s made the decision a lot harder. It looks like the powerboost is about 500lbs heavier too which is quite a bit. Not sure how much I would use the generator. I’m also thinking with 3.55’s and a 36 gallon tank you would get more range with better highway mpg. I’m coming from a 2018 raptor and really enjoyed that motor. Hmmm decisions decisions.
Sponsored

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Yep, the power/torque numbers seemed pretty good the first time I read through them last night, and as the day has worn on I'm starting to think it is a lot of added cost and complexity for marginal performance gains (and an actual reduction in payload and towing capacity). It will pull better, but can't pull as much.

Fuel mileage is really going to be a deciding factor for me.

Realistically, even though I optioned up to the 7.2kW pro power, I'm not sure I'll ever use it, and the thought of actually using it for a prolonged period of time where the engine has to kick on and off for a couple of hours of idle time seems foolish - putting hours on an engine that is part of a $70k truck, as opposed to putting hours on a portable generator might not be a smart choice.

Overall I think the novelty of the hybrid and pro power is wearing off, and I'm left wondering if the ecoboost is the better choice. I sure hope fuel mileage numbers come out soon.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
The numbers that came out today really made me second guess my choice of the PB. With the limited payload compared to the EB which actually saw an increase, by the time I option the truck the way I want, there won't be much payload left. In addition the EB got it's own power boost (pun intended) which softened the disappointment that came with realizing the PB was not for me.

SBrentnall

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.daxiadigital.com
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Occupation
Digital Marketing
I was all set to order the PowerBoost until I saw the specs. I'm now leaning toward the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, for the following reasons:
  • Higher payload
  • Higher towing
  • Ability to tow a gooseneck
The last one is supposition: someone on the forum mentioned that it's possible we might not be able to tow goosenecks with the PowerBoost because of the battery tech under the bed.

Sponsored

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
I just specced out a platinum with a 3.5 in place of the powerboost and the price was only 2K more, got the 2 kW generator, so maintain some functionality there. I wish I had some mileage #'s.

Bills

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 ordered, 2019 JLUR Rubicon
Now I’m second guessing my PB choice. I’m planning on a cap and a decked drawer system, and the PB outlet in the bed is already an issue for me. So I will have a 200-300lb additional load th Now I’m looking at a marginal gain and as many of you have stated, more complexity and cost potentially down the road.

I am coming from a 17 with the 3.5 EB and I get 14-16mpg in that truck. So the PB being possibly 23-24 would be a big change (if I actually get that type of numbers)...

I ordered a week ago, and don’t want to cancel but can I still change without or would I have to cancel and re-order?

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Now I’m second guessing my PB choice. I’m planning on a cap and a decked drawer system, and the PB outlet in the bed is already an issue for me. So I will have a 200-300lb additional load th Now I’m looking at a marginal gain and as many of you have stated, more complexity and cost potentially down the road.

I am coming from a 17 with the 3.5 EB and I get 14-16mpg in that truck. So the PB being possibly 23-24 would be a big change (if I actually get that type of numbers)...

I ordered a week ago, and don’t want to cancel but can I still change without or would I have to cancel and re-order?
You may still be able to make a change and not lose your place in the queue. Call your dealership.

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch Powerboost
I'm sticking with with the PowerBoost for sure. It's the flagship and I guarantee it's going to be a BLAST to drive. 430HP and 570LB-FT is incredible. Plenty capable of towing my boat and hauling everything I need to haul. I cannot wait. With the rear end and that much torque it will be a completely different experience than the 3.5EB when driving around town.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I hear many of you that were not expecting a lower weight difference between the EB and PB, with something that has more power and much of that on the lower RPM of the motor, you think it would be higher.

If the towing limits was that important to me I would more than likely go with EB myself. The EB is a fantastic motor and now even more power itself.

For me I don't pull even close to the towing limits (18' Bass Boat) so I'm good with staying with the PB and all that it brings. Playing with all that beautiful power, I can charge my boat batteries while traveling or overnight if I go for a 2 day fishing trip.

We must all match our trucks to our needs but like most here It is a shame the PB lost some valuable towing lbs.

I have no clue how they up with those limits but 30 more hp and 70 more ft pd of torque seems like it should make up for way more than 500lbs.

Sponsored

goatlord99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Supercrew Lariat Powerboost
TBH, my initial dismay is mostly gone. emailed my guy to get a sheet worked up on platinum EB, but then followed up and said forget it. the PB is gonna be just fine for me.

kavm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Jetta; 2021 F150 Platinum PB
I am waiting to get a confirmed answer on the gooseneck hitch compatibility with PB before placing an order. I wonder how to get a reliable answer, ideally from Ford itself.

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Based on how I would option the truck, the loss of payload and towing is not going to make a hill of beans to me and to how I intend on using my truck. Based on the numbers Ford released, here is what you lose (I realize options matter) on a 4x4 Platinum 5.5' Bed truck.

Max Payload: 2,100 (eb) vs. 1,830 (pb) = 270lbs
Max Towing: 13,900 (eb) vs. 12,400 (pb) = 1,500lbs

It should be noted that a 2020 EB Platinum has a Max Payload of 2,030lbs and a Max Towing of 12,700lbs. So, YOY moving from EB to the PB you lose 200lb/300lbs overall.

My Jeep combo (Jeep + trailer) is about 6,500lbs. My wife wants a camper trailer (eventually), which should also be about 6,500 lbs. Both are too much for the 6,400lb capacity of my Tacoma, but a PB Platinum will pull it without a wimper.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I am waiting to get a confirmed answer on the gooseneck hitch compatibility with PB before placing an order. I wonder how to get a reliable answer, ideally from Ford itself.
I have that in my notes to ask some Ford engineers at the Ford look and drive event this coming Friday.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
Bob, have you got a list of questions compiled? Maybe if we start a thread we can all ask those basic questions when we go to the events and see if we get a consistent set of answers and cover all the bases? I'll be happy to ask in Dallas in two weeks, and I have two appointments so I should have time to ask them all.
Sponsored