Sponsored

PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter?

Jace_G_281

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AMB PB King Ranch FX4
Occupation
Oil and gas
That's great if you're running the EcoBoost. My problem is with the PowerBoost and not knowing the exact gas/electric miles. I wish they would have put a total in for both.
Look at your trip 1 or trip 2 gauge...it has both total driven miles and electric miles. All the information and technology is there man...they have OLM for a reason...you have a warranty for a reason. My 2018 Raptor oil was changed every 6-7k miles and never had an issue with cam phasers (traded in at 48k miles). My buddy at work had a similar 2018 w/ a build date of 1 month after me changed his every 4-5k miles...had cam phaser rattler TWICE. It's your truck...and if you're already dead set of the "old school" way of changing oil...why even post up asking? Seems you have you answer...

rlell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F-150
Apparently Ford isn't worried about the constant on/off of the engine. The owner's manual even caveats that the PowerBoost may require less frequent oil changes.

We bought my wife a 2014 Explorer and only ever changed the oil when the OLM indicated. 140k miles later and it ran just as well as day 1.

One tip for those that change their own oil that was passed to me by a service manager; keep a log. CarFax has a free app that lets you add DIY service records. You can put comments about whatever it was (filter part number and oil brand/type for example) as well as upload copies of your receipts. The one thing they did mention was to make sure you're receipt for the oil was within a reasonable amount of time of the oil change date (e.g. bout the email within a few days versus some you bought 6 months ago).

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've never been asked for service records when selling a vehicle to carmax, carvana, or trading in. When I was asked for service records when selling private party, I printed out the google sheet that I've tracked service that included DIY oil changes. No reason to over think it or keep receipts of oil/filter purchases from walmart, costco, auto zone, etc. for years. ymmv.

Sponsored

rlell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F-150
I've never been asked for service records when selling a vehicle to carmax, carvana, or trading in. When I was asked for service records when selling private party, I printed out the google sheet that I've tracked service that included DIY oil changes. No reason to over think it or keep receipts of oil/filter purchases from walmart, costco, auto zone, etc. for years. ymmv.
Keeping the receipts is for warranty retention not resell.

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Look at your trip 1 or trip 2 gauge...it has both total driven miles and electric miles. All the information and technology is there man...they have OLM for a reason...you have a warranty for a reason. My 2018 Raptor oil was changed every 6-7k miles and never had an issue with cam phasers (traded in at 48k miles). My buddy at work had a similar 2018 w/ a build date of 1 month after me changed his every 4-5k miles...had cam phaser rattler TWICE. It's your truck...and if you're already dead set of the "old school" way of changing oil...why even post up asking? Seems you have you answer...
I do use the Trip 1 & 2, man. As I said in one of my earlier comments I could just reset one of them every time I get the oil changed and track it that way.
I asked to see what peoples opinions are on letting the truck tell you when the oil change is due. It's kind of what happens on social media sites like this.

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
Are you certain that it is totally fixed?
No I'm not. I think it had something to do with carbon building up on the valves and then getting into the oil. They've since added another injector to help keep the valves free from carbon. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, lol.

Redskins5

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Government
Correct, but the odometer continues to turn. So it displays actual miles driven in electric and gas modes, not just gas.
My thing is I don't trust using the oil life meter. I'm old school and go by miles driven.
I had a 15 ecoboost and currently have a 18 5.0 and a 2020 Explorer. In all three I have only changed the oil when the meter tells me it is time. I have had no problems on any of the three vehicles

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
No I'm not. I think it had something to do with carbon building up on the valves and then getting into the oil. They've since added another injector to help keep the valves free from carbon. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me, lol.
Your original question is a valid one. I had not really thought about till I read your thread. My guess is, they will account for the electric miles adjusting they maintenance reminder.

The frequent start ups won't effect the oil life. The engine is warm and the oil just starts pumping when the motor engages.

The direct port injection system did not allow for the detergents in the fuel to effect the valves. When they added both the direct and port injection, that was to get the detergents going back to the valves. That was needed to keep the carbon build up from being so bad. When I saw them go to direct injection, I knew this was going to raise it's ugly head eventually. Was happy to see them change that to both direct and port, there are advantages in both.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
There are people out there right now driving around who haven't changed their oil in over 50k miles! I have a step daughter whose clueless no matter what you tell her. Then she wonders why she had to have seals replaced at 104k and blames it on "big auto" screwing her over. You know the type. Bottom line, if you're planning on keeping you vehicle over 250,000 miles this might be something to worry about. Me, I rarely keep a vehicle longer than a couple of years, four at the most. I've had no problems following the oil meter in any of my vehicles. I currently have just over 5,000 miles in the four weeks I've owned the truck. I never reset my Trip 2 meter in any of my cars. The dealer must have reset mine when they got it in with a few miles on it. You can see the comparison in the two pics:

Ford F-150 PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter? 20210503_180743

Ford F-150 PowerBoost Oil Change Interval. Do you trust the oil life meter? 20210503_180805

I'm pretty impressed that I've run almost 400 electric miles. Especially since 3600 miles at least was at highway speeds ranging between 70-80 mph. We drove the Skyline Drive in VA a couple weeks ago, of the 105 miles about 45 was done in electric mode! Of course, it has a speed limit of only 35mph. I can definitely tell a difference in how much battery strength from when I first got the truck, it is as though it is learning how to better utilize the battery (or maybe my foot on the gas is getting a little lighter).

All this to show that of those 5k miles, it involved 83 engine hours. Of the 5k miles, 550 miles was towing a travel trailer that weighed 5500lbs. At this rate if I continue similar use it looks like I'll be changing oil around the 9,000 mile mark. Not bad, I can certainly live with that. But hey, if it bugs you by all means change it at 3000 or 5000 or 7500 or whatever floats your boat!

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
For those who want to self-manage your oil changes (and for everyone else too), I suggest you reread currybob’s post above. Then go to your manual and read about exclusively using Top Tier gas retailers. We buy hundreds of gallons of gas for every few quarts of oil we use. Ford is trying to coach us to think about a fuel detergent‘s value, yet I see almost no focus on the role this plays in engine health on these kinds of discussions. Some think in terms of the very best of synthetic oil for their engines and then drive to Joe’s Foundry and Garage to save 3 cents per gallon. Just a thought...

Jack

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I absolutely go by the OLM.

Why wouldn't you? ?‍♂

OP
OP
150ish

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
There are people out there right now driving around who haven't changed their oil in over 50k miles! I have a step daughter whose clueless no matter what you tell her. Then she wonders why she had to have seals replaced at 104k and blames it on "big auto" screwing her over. You know the type. Bottom line, if you're planning on keeping you vehicle over 250,000 miles this might be something to worry about. Me, I rarely keep a vehicle longer than a couple of years, four at the most. I've had no problems following the oil meter in any of my vehicles. I currently have just over 5,000 miles in the four weeks I've owned the truck. I never reset my Trip 2 meter in any of my cars. The dealer must have reset mine when they got it in with a few miles on it. You can see the comparison in the two pics:

20210503_180743.jpg

20210503_180805.jpg

I'm pretty impressed that I've run almost 400 electric miles. Especially since 3600 miles at least was at highway speeds ranging between 70-80 mph. We drove the Skyline Drive in VA a couple weeks ago, of the 105 miles about 45 was done in electric mode! Of course, it has a speed limit of only 35mph. I can definitely tell a difference in how much battery strength from when I first got the truck, it is as though it is learning how to better utilize the battery (or maybe my foot on the gas is getting a little lighter).

All this to show that of those 5k miles, it involved 83 engine hours. Of the 5k miles, 550 miles was towing a travel trailer that weighed 5500lbs. At this rate if I continue similar use it looks like I'll be changing oil around the 9,000 mile mark. Not bad, I can certainly live with that. But hey, if it bugs you by all means change it at 3000 or 5000 or 7500 or whatever floats your boat!
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I usually keep a vehicle for about 4 years/120.000 miles. You guys might just have me convinced to start following the OLM. I mean why not, I'm already using the acronym for it....
Sponsored