First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
HAHA, this is for those obsessive people who strive to get the most electric miles. It's something I have to quit, I keep pushing the envelope trying to get the highest percentage of electric miles on overall driving, at 24.5% now for the last several hundred miles. Gotta quit, it's addictive. Why? Because I want to floor this bad boy and smoke some Challengers, haha.
Sponsored

WRS

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Aviation
HAHA, this is for those obsessive people who strive to get the most electric miles. It's something I have to quit, I keep pushing the envelope trying to get the highest percentage of electric miles on overall driving, at 24.5% now for the last several hundred miles. Gotta quit, it's addictive. Why? Because I want to floor this bad boy and smoke some Challengers, haha.
So what is your MPG showing?

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
I was pushing low 23's until the temps dropped. Now I'm closer to about 20 mpg.

Driving to work each day taking the same route...strangely, my PB isn't going into EV mode as much as it did when it was still a bit warmer. It is roughly a 24 mile trip one way, and before it started cooling off, I'd get about 4 miles in EV mode. Lately, its only 2/3 miles are in EV mode.

Also, most of the EV miles are in the last 10 or so miles.

My 14' 3.5 Eco always dropped a couple MPG's during the colder months. I kinda expected a little drop with this PB, but the slight drop in EV miles has me a bit puzzled.

Plattypuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost Rapid red
I was pushing low 23's until the temps dropped. Now I'm closer to about 20 mpg.

Driving to work each day taking the same route...strangely, my PB isn't going into EV mode as much as it did when it was still a bit warmer. It is roughly a 24 mile trip one way, and before it started cooling off, I'd get about 4 miles in EV mode. Lately, its only 2/3 miles are in EV mode.

Also, most of the EV miles are in the last 10 or so miles.

My 14' 3.5 Eco always dropped a couple MPG's during the colder months. I kinda expected a little drop with this PB, but the slight drop in EV miles has me a bit puzzled.
I have driven hybrids for 10 years and this is normal behavior. I’d bet that you aren’t parking in a heated garage. The reason it’s happening is because the battery needs to warm up before it’s power is fully available. You’ll notice a big difference on longer trips. You’ll still see a similar winter drop like your used to when using the heater but it won’t be as extreme as you’re experiencing now.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
So what is your MPG showing?
depends where I drive, finally averaging above 20. One trip was 25, last tank was 22.5, but now dropped to 21. I don't trust the gauge, my first fillup showed 21 avg, but my gauge said the average was 20

Reactions: WRS

Sponsored

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
I have driven hybrids for 10 years and this is normal behavior. I’d bet that you aren’t parking in a heated garage. The reason it’s happening is because the battery needs to warm up before it’s power is fully available. You’ll notice a big difference on longer trips. You’ll still see a similar winter drop like your used to when using the heater but it won’t be as extreme as you’re experiencing now.
Yeah, batteries not as efficient in the cold. Longer to warm up, and discharge faster.

Niterider

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
factory worker
That makes sense. I've heard of people that had issues with Tesla's actually losing their charge overnight in very cold temps even while plugged in on the "slow" 110v charging.

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
In 147 miles I have done roughly 45 percent electric. Although calculated mpg was bad lol.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Yeah, batteries not as efficient in the cold. Longer to warm up, and discharge faster.
The 800# gorilla in the room is how the chemistry in batteries work. For example a standard lead acid battery loses 50% of capacity at 32ºF. I suspect these Li-Ion batteries are similar. The issue is the cemistry. There's nothing you can do except to warm it up or make it big enough that at low temperatures it still has enough to run. If you look at the Escape Hybrid its block heater circuitry, as provided by Ford includes a battery warmer specifically for that reason.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
The 800# gorilla in the room is how the chemistry in batteries work. For example a standard lead acid battery loses 50% of capacity at 32ºF. I suspect these Li-Ion batteries are similar. The issue is the cemistry. There's nothing you can do except to warm it up or make it big enough that at low temperatures it still has enough to run. If you look at the Escape Hybrid its block heater circuitry, as provided by Ford includes a battery warmer specifically for that reason.
No evidence of Ford putting this in the Powerboost? I wonder why they wouldn’t have.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
No evidence of Ford putting this in the Powerboost? I wonder why they wouldn’t have.
I understand that Ford deleted the battery warmer part of the transformer in later years. But remember that in the Escape the Traction Battery starts the engine. In the Powerboost the 12 V battery starts the engine, so that warmer is not nearly as important as it was in the Escape Hybrid.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
There is a heating/cooling loop on the batteries. That's what the heat exchanger on the exhaust is for. There is also a cooler on the loop in case the batteries need cooled.

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
Owners manual also says engine runs more and sooner when it's cold so the coolant is warm enoigh for immediate heat if requested by occupants and also that it may run to ensure the emissions components are warm enough to do their job (talk about irony)

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
This problem can be easily remedied by selecting "Sport" mode ;-}

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
25.9%

Ford F-150 Powerboost obsession 20220207_151312
Sponsored