First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 xlt sport
Occupation
Veterans
In 147 miles I have done roughly 45 percent electric. Although calculated mpg was bad lol.
The mpg isn't the consern, if 45% were on Epower. Calculating the Gallon use for the whole distance traveled is the way to go I think.
Epower redesign the fuel consumption calculation.

If
traveled miles÷mpg=gallons used
so
(traveled miles-Epower%)÷mpg= gallons used.
Then
traveled distance÷''so''= real mpg
Or
does the onboard computer already calculated this way??
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stealthytt

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
The mpg isn't the consern, if 45% were on Epower. Calculating the Gallon use for the whole distance traveled is the way to go I think.

If
so
Then
Or
What I mean was that 45% of the 147 miles was electric miles but the hand calculated results were roughly 12mpg lol. 11g ish was what I put back in after those miles.

I'm not sure how it calculates it in the truck.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Strictly looking at MPG concerns, how much better is the Powerboost than the 2.7? Don't get me wrong, I think going hybrid is an excellent idea, and I'd love that Pro Power Onboard... but is the real-world MPG that much different? Fuelly.com shows 18.6 on the 2021 2.7 crew cab; and 18.5 on the Powerboost.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Strictly looking at MPG concerns, how much better is the Powerboost than the 2.7? Don't get me wrong, I think going hybrid is an excellent idea, and I'd love that Pro Power Onboard... but is the real-world MPG that much different? Fuelly.com shows 18.6 on the 2021 2.7 crew cab; and 18.5 on the Powerboost.
Honestly, I wouldn't buy the Powerboost if mpg was THE most important desire. The 2.7 is a great value equation if fuel economy and overall cost per mile is paramount.

The Powerboost is more a Have your cake and eat it too package. 600ftlbs of glorious torque at your whim when needed, but great fuel mileage potential as well.
The 7.2KW rolling grid is PRICELESS cherry on top if you are someone who leverages it.

Sponsored

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
In for the PB conversations. Last two tanks, were less than 18.8... At this point my 2018 2.7L EB was where I should have stayed.

I thought that we were doing well after the last OTA update and different feel for the EcoMode but no difference in actual fuel economy.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Honestly, I wouldn't buy the Powerboost if mpg was THE most important desire. The 2.7 is a great value equation if fuel economy and overall cost per mile is paramount.

The Powerboost is more a Have your cake and eat it too package. 600ftlbs of glorious torque at your whim when needed, but great fuel mileage potential as well.
The 7.2KW rolling grid is PRICELESS cherry on top if you are someone who leverages it.
While I'm still hoping to get better mileage when things warm up and I take more longer trips, this is kind of where I've landed as well. The PB gets pretty good mileage relative to its power and capabilities. But it seems like a lot of folks are falling pretty far short of the billed 24mpg.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security

Excellent points, thank you.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
While I'm still hoping to get better mileage when things warm up and I take more longer trips, this is kind of where I've landed as well. The PB gets pretty good mileage relative to its power and capabilities. But it seems like a lot of folks are falling pretty far short of the billed 24mpg.
Yep. AFAICT, to get the epa mpg, you have to "drive fifty five" and be fifty five years old with no particular place to go … nothing to do and all day to do it.
It's "easy" to get the instantaneous mpg above 24 mpg, but it's boring to be rolling at 48 mph on level terrain with no head wind.
So the mpg is whatever it is and I don't mind – the whole experience of owning the PowerBoost totally outweighs the average mpg. Except towing. I don't do a lot of towing miles per year any more, so it's no dealbreaker for me, but towing seems to overtax the PowerBoost. I've not towed enough to explain it. This engine has a lot of torque but once those turbos spool up, they cut a big hole in the fuel tank.
I wish Ford would take all the ecoboost goodness and build a V8 plug-in hybrid twin-turbo with 50+ miles of electric-only range and electric motor that can accelerate the vehicle to keep pace with city traffic.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm one of those that cause envy. The Powerboost, short of my 75-80mph interstate driving easily gets the 22-25mpg commutes and errand runs. But I can vouch for cold weather making a huge difference because we had an arctic invasion of blistery 30's and a very repeatable trip I made was a miserable 17.5mpg on the coldstart leg, and barely broke the 20mpg barrier on the return leg.

Very noticeable HIT the first 7 miles! The truck was FAR later in hitting normal ECT and EV runs.

Now I KNOW what a Powerboost in Minnesota would be like VS Coastal Texas

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired

That's where I'm at when I ordered a PB. I wanted the 7.2Kw generator. I tow a travel trailer a lot, and was tired of having to carry a couple of Honda generators, along with the required gasoline.

Any 20+ mpg in town is gravy.

The extra power & torque means little to me as my current 3.5L EB has plenty for my purposes.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's where I'm at when I ordered a PB. I wanted the 7.2Kw generator. I tow a travel trailer a lot, and was tired of having to carry a couple of Honda generators, along with the required gasoline.

Any 20+ mpg in town is gravy.

The extra power & torque means little to me as my current 3.5L EB has plenty for my purposes.
You know I came from the 3.5 Ecoboost too. And tuned really clean. A polished transmission strategy as well.
I think you will be pleased with how the Powerboost makes its power very similar to the Ecoboost, but for the majority of your normal torque requests it uses less boost and more electricity. It feels like it's working less. And actually it is.

My only concern is that Ford's factory tune is lugging even more than the 3.5 Ecoboost was. I lock gears out just to get it to 1600 rpms. Crazy that it is programmed to run even lower. Just begging for LSPI.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
You know I came from the 3.5 Ecoboost too. And tuned really clean. A polished transmission strategy as well.
I think you will be pleased with how the Powerboost makes its power very similar to the Ecoboost, but for the majority of your normal torque requests it uses less boost and more electricity. It feels like it's working less. And actually it is.

My only concern is that Ford's factory tune is lugging even more than the 3.5 Ecoboost was. I lock gears out just to get it to 1600 rpms. Crazy that it is programmed to run even lower. Just begging for LSPI.
I know, when towing, I will lock out at least 2 gears. When towing, I currently almost automatically will lock 6th gear in my 6sp 2014 truck. I also always tow with Tow/Haul engaged. The 'old" trucks only had regular and Tow/Haul. No other specialty setting for the transmissions.

WDWFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost

If
so
Then
Or
The problem with this theory is that the electric motor "boosts" the ICE when the ICE is running, so subtracting out the electric only miles out doesn't really give you a "non-electric" MPG. the system is integrated and cant really be separated that way.

All that being said, I have only had my PB for a few weeks but it seems to me that when you actively try to maximize your EV miles, you end up with lower MPG than driving "normally" and letting the system to it's thing, again in my very limited experience. I do agree with another post I read that using the cruise control seems to manage it better in most cases.
Sponsored