Sponsored

Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
On a quick trip, came to a stop at a red light and when I accelerated the check engine light decided to come on with no other info on the dash. This is fun thing to happen on my truck with 1,300 miles of course.
Ford pass is showing me the issue also so I took some screenshots to share the pics. Also looked up in the manual and shared those screen shots. I’m hoping is a defective o2 sensor or something quick.

Anyone have this happen?

And... With all this technology, why do we still need to bring it to a dealer to hook up to a OBD reader. It should just tell us what’s up on the screen or send the code to the Ford Pass app?!?

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration DE818BA2-5F23-4142-B3F2-92027C07F59E

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration 5F7438DA-0618-4AFD-BEEB-F1C226C4FFA2

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration A477D501-F204-4E60-993E-33ED17A9DBD5

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration 231A7A60-545F-4BC1-853A-976124AEF1FC

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration 68C3EEF5-6863-426F-8872-48F7D2F2C744
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
UPDATE:

What I didn’t mention above was that I had a little less than 1/2 tank of gas when the light came on so I filled the tank with 93 and came home and parked it for a bit.

Compulsing and Bugged out about this, About 2 hours later I went out to start the truck - low and behold the MIL was off!!! I know sometimes if an emissions sensor (O2 or whatever else in these trucks) can trigger a code if the slightest thing is off but with all the issues these new trucks are having it was bothering me to check it again and I was happy to see it was gone.

When I saw the light was off I decided take an errand run and make 30 mile round trip. I did the drive with varying acceleration / speed and the light stayed off. Hopeful it was a fluke that caused the light to come on in the first place which maybe was a combination of a heavy acceleration, cold engine, rainy damp air, maybe some crappy gas, etc.
?‍♂ ? ?

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration 62C62375-2CFE-41DB-BF26-83905B08966A

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration 16FBCE77-1F13-42DD-9AA5-47318111CC35

Ford F-150 Powerboost Malfuntion Indicator Lamp came on during acceleration CB50694D-D2AC-4622-B712-06255DA3E285

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bump and another update:

anyone else have this happen? It’s been coming on pretty consistently with heavy acceleration and then shuts off after a few miles and and next time it starts it’s off. It’s now happened 5 or 6 times
I brought it to the dealer after it happened the 3rd time and the code reader they had couldn’t read the codes properly and they needed updated software so I left after they reset the codes. Well it happened 2 more times and brought it back again but this time they read the codes which indicated some sort of gcm (generator control module) code that is not in the system nor has a tsb assigned to it so they reset and cleared the codes again and told me they were going to be reaching out to Dearborn / engineering and asked if it happened again that I bring it back leave the truck so they can trouble shoot and get the code while driving with it hooked up to the diagnostic reader to figure out what’s going on, send reports to Ford Dearborn and try to figure it out.
I’m hoping they come back and it’s a software issue and a quick flash. Otherwise this sounds like they’ll be chasing a demon here. Crazy thing is it seems to be running fine.
anyone have anything like what I described above?
Is the gcm controlling the alternator / charging system for the 12 v system or Hybrid system or battery or pro power or all of the above??

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I wish I could help you man. If you had Forscan and the ODB reader tool it would potentially tell you what the error code is.

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wish I could help you man. If you had Forscan and the ODB reader tool it would potentially tell you what the error code is.
Thanks. It sucks dealing with this on a brand new truck. Already had to have the BCM flashed and updated but that was for the alarm issues that seemed like a bunch of trucks were having, but this one the dealer couldn’t figure out what the code meant and they’re researching it. I’ll be calling them again to find out what the can come up with from Dearborn on the code.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Another update:
Went to the dealership I bought the truck from instead of the local dealer and they did a more thorough check of the codes and pulled all the codes and history from the vehicles connected online log. They found the details of all the fault codes and diagnosed that the problem is stemming from a faulty Hybrid Electric Drive Parts are now ordered and should arrive next week with the repair estimated to take about a day to complete once the parts arrive. If all works out I should only be without for a day according to the service manager and shop foreman. ? ? ?

Considering this is the first time they’ll be doing this repair I’m skeptical but hopeful this will be a 1 day thing and the issue is resolved after the repair is done. Maybe it’s just like replacing a torque converter with wires!?!?

Bright side - maybe I can get a Mach-e loaner and play around with it!

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost

Tkuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I'm having similar issues. Each time I've been able to reset it with briefly disconnecting the battery and waiting.

Dealer looked into it and thinks they pinpointed a bad control board on the hybrid battery. Truck is sitting in the shop now waiting for parts that are on backorder. Suppose that's part of being an early adopter but I'm starting to feel like a beta tester. This is the third time I've been in the shop now.

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm having similar issues. Each time I've been able to reset it with briefly disconnecting the battery and waiting.

Dealer looked into it and thinks they pinpointed a bad control board on the hybrid battery. Truck is sitting in the shop now waiting for parts that are on backorder. Suppose that's part of being an early adopter but I'm starting to feel like a beta tester. This is the third time I've been in the shop now.

That sucks. Looks like yours is going into limp mode? I’m lucky to an extent that I can still drive it and if I stay below 4,000 rpm the light stays off. Unlucky however that one of the seals to make my repair is on back order until June so still waiting for the parts to come in.

Jeff355

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
My truck had the same issues. At heavy acceleration, the MIL would come on and then eventually go off, but I could make it come on again whenever I accelerated hard enough. Eventually, it changed from just the MIL, to the Stop Safely Now warning, and then the truck taking all the power away and slowing me down. Dangerous situation when pulling into traffic. Once slowed down, truck would run fine and if I didn't accelerate hard, it would eventually turn off. Took it to dealer. They went through all the tests that Ford told them to. They even made them put my stock wheel and tire setup back on to see if it still did it. Finally, Ford told them the electric drive motor was bad. They replaced and it's been fine since. Dealer told me Ford was going to take the drive motor to find out what the issue was. Those things are $6k a pop, according to dealer. Doubt they are going to want to be replacing a bunch of them but it sounds like mines not the only one with problems. On a side note, ever since my truck went into the shop, I've had issues with Sync acting up. All sorts of weird gremlins in there. Still trying to figure that part out. Wondering if something got shorted out while it was in there. Anyways, best of luck on your issue.

Sponsored

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
These kinds of reports are very worrisome to those of us still waiting. Equivalent to Ford’s version of Russian Roulette: I’m left wondering which of these problems will affect my truck. Seems like something is almost a certainty, given the wide variety of weird stuff being reported.

Jack

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My truck had the same issues. At heavy acceleration, the MIL would come on and then eventually go off, but I could make it come on again whenever I accelerated hard enough. Eventually, it changed from just the MIL, to the Stop Safely Now warning, and then the truck taking all the power away and slowing me down. Dangerous situation when pulling into traffic. Once slowed down, truck would run fine and if I didn't accelerate hard, it would eventually turn off. Took it to dealer. They went through all the tests that Ford told them to. They even made them put my stock wheel and tire setup back on to see if it still did it. Finally, Ford told them the electric drive motor was bad. They replaced and it's been fine since. Dealer told me Ford was going to take the drive motor to find out what the issue was. Those things are $6k a pop, according to dealer. Doubt they are going to want to be replacing a bunch of them but it sounds like mines not the only one with problems. On a side note, ever since my truck went into the shop, I've had issues with Sync acting up. All sorts of weird gremlins in there. Still trying to figure that part out. Wondering if something got shorted out while it was in there. Anyways, best of luck on your issue.
100% same issue as I’m having. They went through all the diags and they figured out it was the electric drive. All the parts are in except for a seal that I’m still waiting for.

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
These kinds of reports are very worrisome to those of us still waiting. Equivalent to Ford’s version of Russian Roulette: I’m left wondering which of these problems will affect my truck. Seems like something is almost a certainty, given the wide variety of weird stuff being reported.

Jack
Lots of gremlins in the 2021. So far I’ve had a few software / module updates and now this. Hope is the last one.

Last edited:

Daily22ssv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 powerbost
Occupation
Tech
Any update on this? This will be my 2nd time back to the shop for same issue.

OP
OP
CnB150Lariat

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any update on this? This will be my 2nd time back to the shop for same issue.
I’m waiting on a seal that is on backorder so they haven’t done the repair yet. It’s expected to come in later this week so might get it done by end of week.
Have you noticed that the CEL comes on during heavy acceleration or above 4000 rpm? That’s apparently the tell if you need a new hybrid drive or maybe just a calibration issue that can be corrected with software update in the module.
Sponsored