Powerboost Long-term Parking Solution

Wasatch

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
There are several threads on this forum describing a "dead" truck after parking the powerboost long-term. The heavy-duty electronics make the chances of draining the battery higher without a trickle charger. But what if you need to park somewhere without a nearby outlet to trickle charge?

I just parked my truck for 34 days. I needed it to be ready to start when got back to it or I would be stranded. I bought this solar trickle charger with an OBDII connection. The OBDII connection was critical to make sure the charge got to the battery even if the software turned off the cigarette lighter ports.

https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-Tender-12V-5-Watt-Mountable-Solar-Battery-Charger

Amazon had a decent price for it.

I parked it last month, locked it with the solar panel sitting on the roof and the cord running to the OBDII port. The truck has now been parked through 5 heat waves. It went into deep sleep exactly two weeks after parking in (software makes it do that). But today it started like a champ. I used the keypad to open it, and it started as if I had been there five minutes before.

So, for any of you who park long-term, this trick is tried and true. Your truck will be fine and ready to go when you need it.

Ford F-150 Powerboost Long-term Parking Solution IMG_8953
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
thanks! I was looking at my current solar panel, which is the old 12v connector, and it occured to me it probably won't work in my new truck.

JeffInCOS

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Lincoln Nautius BL
Occupation
Retired USAF and IT
Thanks for letting us know about this product. It will come in very handy when I'm on vacation again.
Sponsored