Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message

matsperzak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford F-150 PowerBoost, 08 Porsche 911 Turbo
My fuel filler door had the same issue today. Filled the tank, closed the door, drove home and then the error message came on saying the door was open. I pushed in on it and the message was still on so I opened it manually, and the Little plastic piece that sits inside the rubber shroud shot out at me like it was spring loaded. Landed on the ground. I scheduled an appointment to have the dealer fix it, but then when I messed around with it tonight I was able to get it locked back in. I think it is just barely seated inside the fuel door, so you will have to be really careful when you remove the gas pump handle because if you bump it at all, you will dislodge it. I am going to have to try to figure out how to have some extras of those in the cab so that if I ever lose it, I have an extra one I can use.
I heard my little plastic piece drop and roll on floor as I removed the pump yesterday. Could you elaborate on how you fit it back in. Doesn't look like mine is broken, just dislodged. I was able to get it to click back into the truck and when I pressed the button it shot out (rather intensely). Are you supposed to re-connect it to the fuel door? If so any tips?
Sponsored

matsperzak

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford F-150 PowerBoost, 08 Porsche 911 Turbo
Just went back out to truck and it was extremely easy to pop back into fuel door, just aligned the slot in the plastic piece to the fuel door and apply a decent amount of pressure. All fixed. Agree it wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a few extra plastic pieces in case you loose or accidently break one. I will be much more careful with the nozzle moving forward. glad it didn't result in a dealer visit

Mkgupta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Hi all,

I just picked up my Powerboost Platinum today. The fuel door is properly closed but the ajar message kept showing up on the dash. The service department was closed when I picked up. The message go away once driving, but every time I turn on the truck, the message comes back. I have no idea how the fuel door mechanism work, I only see a rubber tubing on the door and didn't see any latch. Looks like it's pneumatic. Anyone has the same issue? I saw that only the hybrid has the remote fuel door, very strange.
I have a brand new 2021 limited hybrid. When I went to fill the tank the first time I found the plastic rod that inserts into the locking hole snapped off. It’s a very flimsy piece of plastic. Without it the gas latch does not lock. I have the same warnings now. I saved the piece to bring to the dealer.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Curiosity got the best of me, so I had to go check it out. Maybe some pictures will help.

Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message IMG_0525

Here's a picture of the entire fuel filler opening. The plastic post at the left, on the door, snaps into the hole on the far right. When closed, the rubber seal around the door makes an airtight seal with body of the truck. You have to press the release button on the dash to release the pressure and allow the door to pop open.

Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message IMG_0527

The plastic post is surrounded by a rubber sleeve that contains a spring. Here you can see that I have pulled it back with my thumb. This spring causes the door to pop out when the button on the dash is pressed and the pressure is released. I can see how you might bump the plastic post with the gas nozzle if you were not careful, though it has not been a problem for me. The plastic post on mine seemed firmly attached. I wonder if someone not familiar with the system (like the dealership lot guys, filling up the truck for the first time), might try to force the door open and break the plastic post.

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
One more picture. I was just at the gas station, so I decided to take a picture with the pump nozzle in. It appears to me there is plenty of room between the pump handle and the locking pin on the door. I suppose you could bump it if you really tried, but it looks pretty unlikely to me.

Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message IMG_0532

Sponsored

MuddyFordGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, F150
The Hybird units are the only ones that have the inside push button release that is electric. There is a delay on the fuel door open from the time the release button is pushed. They are not the style that are used on full fuel gas units that you just push in on the fuel door to release. Folks that don't know this on the lots looking at them, are trying to push them in for them to pop out, or pulling them open.

Neogenesis2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I just had mine serviced under warranty for this. The post pictured by BlackCloud previously was broken from day 1 on mine. If it’s ever helpful to anyone searching this in the future, the part number is ML3Z-8327936-C. It’s the entire fuel door hinge. They do not appear to sell just the post in the rubber accordion bit.

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
The Hybird units are the only ones that have the inside push button release that is electric. There is a delay on the fuel door open from the time the release button is pushed. They are not the style that are used on full fuel gas units that you just push in on the fuel door to release. Folks that don't know this on the lots looking at them, are trying to push them in for them to pop out, or pulling them open.

That was absolutely my experience when shopping for my PB. Unsure why every salesperson wanted to show me the gas compartment - I guess to show off the capless EasyFuel system (that's 10+ years old?)??

By the 3rd time a salesperson tried to rip the door open I was correcting them teaching them that the PB works differently :(.

Echin

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2021 Lariat Hybrid
I just had mine serviced under warranty for this. The post pictured by BlackCloud previously was broken from day 1 on mine. If it’s ever helpful to anyone searching this in the future, the part number is ML3Z-8327936-C. It’s the entire fuel door hinge. They do not appear to sell just the post in the rubber accordion bit.
My plastic post fell out while i was on a road trip but I got lucky and found it. I was able to reinstall it to get the fuel door sensor working again. One telltale sign that its rotating and will eventually drop out is you start getting the fule door open warning enen though the post is still there. If the post is not fully rotated and locked in place when its the hole it inserts into wont detect it.

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Also another plastic latch post fail. Mine broke off in the first week and similar to Echin I was lucky to find it. Really a POS design...

Sponsored

BlackCloud

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost
Occupation
Retired
Just got gas tonight. Pressed the Fuel Door button on the dash, but nothing happened. Then it occurred to me I might have to turn the truck off first. Sure enough, after I shut it down, the door popped open. Never noticed that before.

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
One more picture. I was just at the gas station, so I decided to take a picture with the pump nozzle in. It appears to me there is plenty of room between the pump handle and the locking pin on the door. I suppose you could bump it if you really tried, but it looks pretty unlikely to me.

IMG_0532.jpeg
Thanks for the pictures I filled my truck up for the second time while headed on vacation. Got the alarm wouldn’t reset called dealer service department and he said it would be ok just hit ok button or pull the positive cable. I was traveling and didn’t want to do that. Started reading this thread and I’m missing the post.

Brendan Reichert

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I had same problem- was filling and saw something fall from truck. Thought it was something from the pump. But upon further review only saw a rubber gasket on fuel door and went to shut (would not lock). The plastic lock rod fell. Found under truck. Removed gasket and it appears rod fell out of the plastic locking piece that secures to the fuel door. Twist left to unseat from fuel door. Reinserted rod to locking piece (snapped back in). Then put gasket back over. Had problems getting it to lock back into place on fuel door. Here is a pic of the 3 pieces.

Ford F-150 Powerboost hybrid - showing fuel door open error message 0ABB161E-985A-4689-81A4-F8704BB419E9

Brendan Reichert

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
[/QUOTE] my handle was off the left- when it automatically shut off it moved handle and hit the plastic locking rod and dislodged. Will have to make sure to keep gas nossel is straight up and down moving forward.

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
Once again, I am so thankful for this message board. We were heading up 93 in Nevada towards Idaho pulling our travel trailer when I topped off in a tiny town Caliente NV). Fuel door closed a little different and I didn’t pay too much attention. Pulling out, I got the Fuel Door Open warning and saying Check Engine light will appear. I pulled over, looked at it, then pulled up this site and searched Fuel Door Open. Brought me here, I read the thread, then headed back to gas’s station to find the small black piece on the ground where I gassed up. I figured out how to put it back on and back on the road we went. Thank you. A few things. I inserted the bulb/bigger end of the black plastic piece into the fuel door. I took off the rubber gasket to see things better and it went back on easily. There is a channel in the bulb end that guides it back in, then you turn it. A key is that the large groove in the black piece near the smaller end (the end that goes onto the truck side) needs to be facing up so the latch with the spring catches it. Hope that helps the next guy reading this who is in a pinch like I was today. I’m going to order another piece just in case. Terrible design Ford. POS is not an understatement.
Sponsored