First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Camry, Highlander, Tundra, Awaiting F150
Occupation
Electronic Technician
So, I just bought an XLT PB and one of the first things I have noticed is that when I have the heat on, in electric mode, the truck stops blowing heat and blowing cold air. Engine powers on and hot air comes back. I also tried warming up the truck and I sat in it while I was trying to figure things out and it would blow cold air until eventually the engine came on, then it would warm up the truck a bit, go back into electric and then ended up cooling the truck back down. I tried for an hour or more to figure out the setting that I must be missing because I can't see this being the intended functionality. Any ideas on what I am missing?
Sponsored

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronic Technician
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does yours have the same behavior in EV?. Really bugging me. I like to sit in my truck and eat my lunch and watch YT videos. So far can't do either conveniently and comfortably. Truck wants to sit there in EV and blow cold air, although the engine is up to temp and then I find that there is a terrible Bluetooth audio lag which makes watching videos wirelessly a no go. So far not what I was expecting out of a $60K truck.

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Does yours have the same behavior in EV?. Really bugging me. I like to sit in my truck and eat my lunch and watch YT videos. So far can't do either conveniently and comfortably. Truck wants to sit there in EV and blow cold air, although the engine is up to temp and then I find that there is a terrible Bluetooth audio lag which makes watching videos wirelessly a no go. So far not what I was expecting out of a $60K truck.
I have a PB on order, hoping this is not by design. What would be the point of the worksurface if you can't keep reasonably warm in your truck (since the marketing states that the design approach was around the fact that F150 owners spend more time in their trucks than ever)! On the Bluetooth lag - I have that in my 2018 when in bluetooth mode and doing any video streaming. However, the problem remediates itself if you connect your device via USB/C. Not optimal - I was hoping they would have fixed this, since they claim that the new Sync system is entirely wireless.... Good luck!

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
This is a weird problem. I was considering a Ford Escape hybrid back in 2008, which was their first hybrid. At the time I was in CA and the hybrid wouldn’t blow cold air when in electric only mode, so the opposite of this. That was one of the primary reasons I didn’t go with it at the time.

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronic Technician
It is a very weird problem, that to me seems like it would be an easy fix... keep blowing the hot air since even on electric you are still blowing fans anyway, or stop the fans all together in electric mode. I think I would be ok with either.

This being said, with temperatures in the mid to upper 30's and full sun, it is less of a problem with a black truck and black interior, it stays comfortable enough that I don't need the heat much anyway. Just rough on those bitter cold mornings.

Sponsored

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill
It is a very weird problem, that to me seems like it would be an easy fix... keep blowing the hot air since even on electric you are still blowing fans anyway, or stop the fans all together in electric mode. I think I would be ok with either.

This being said, with temperatures in the mid to upper 30's and full sun, it is less of a problem with a black truck and black interior, it stays comfortable enough that I don't need the heat much anyway. Just rough on those bitter cold mornings.
on my 2018, if I enabled auto-stop, when th
So, I just bought an XLT PB and one of the first things I have noticed is that when I have the heat on, in electric mode, the truck stops blowing heat and blowing cold air. Engine powers on and hot air comes back. I also tried warming up the truck and I sat in it while I was trying to figure things out and it would blow cold air until eventually the engine came on, then it would warm up the truck a bit, go back into electric and then ended up cooling the truck back down. I tried for an hour or more to figure out the setting that I must be missing because I can't see this being the intended functionality. Any ideas on what I am missing?
It just occured to me last night while driving in 30-ish degree temps. I had my auto-stop activated. When the engine shut down at a traffic light, the air going through the vents was still warm. While the fans weren't cranking out a lot of volume (on 'auto'), the heat was consistent. This makes sense since the engine is still hot, the coolant going through the heater core is still 'there'. This would be the exact same with a Powerboost, I'd imagine. So, in your case - could it be something else? I'd take it to the dealer and have them look into it.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
I currently have a hybrid Fusion and although I don't use it often in Florida when I do need the heater the car keeps the engine running longer to make sure the cabin is warm. I've never had an issue with it. I always use automatic temperature control, not sure if that makes a difference.

It also runs the engine longer on hot days because the A/C is power hungry too.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Like Orlando, my truck will not shut off at a light when it's not up to operating temperature. Once warmed up, it will shut off and the fans will blow at low-speed and it will be warm air because it's flowing through a warm heater core.

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronic Technician
Like Orlando, my truck will not shut off at a light when it's not up to operating temperature. Once warmed up, it will shut off and the fans will blow at low-speed and it will be warm air because it's flowing through a warm heater core.
Is yours a Powerboost?

Sponsored

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronic Technician
Yeah, I see that now that I am on a computer. Doesn't show sigs on the phone. Hmm... So I do definitely have a problem then. Guess I'll add it to the list of things they need to fix. I've also got that Pro Power Tripped breaker warning that I can't get to go away.

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
Did you check the Powerflow screen in Features? Normally when there is a need for in-cabin heating, it will run the engine specifically to heat the cab. Did you try just turning up the setting on the HVAC controls?

OP
OP

asubpargamer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electronic Technician
Did you check the Powerflow screen in Features? Normally when there is a need for in-cabin heating, it will run the engine specifically to heat the cab. Did you try just turning up the setting on the HVAC controls?
Yes, I have tried that and have it set to max heat, doesn't seem to make a difference. If the engine is cold, it will stay on, but once the engine has warmed up, then it goes into ev mode and blows cold.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
Interesting, I kind of thought that the HVAC was totally electronic on the PB do to my experience on a test drive of a PB. In my case after the test drive I pulled into the dealers garage, the ICE shutdown but the HVAC continued to blow hot (not warm) air... Also I have heard from other during the remote start that the ICE cycles during the remote start / warmup period. I assumed that the ICE ran to warm up the engine initially but then cycled simple to recharge the High Voltage system for the EV and HVAC... But based on the above it appears that I was incorrect...

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This has always been an issue for me with the auto start/stop. The A/C is supposed to prevent it from turning the engine off but sometimes it wouldn't and in the middle of the summer (I don't care about heat here normally) that instant loss of the compressor running as the fan still blows SUCKS until it realized OH SH!T and kicks the engine on. My wife complains every time.

So I was looking forward to the A/C still running on electric at a stop... I suppose we won't know until summer and we start a new thread with teh opposite complaint.
Sponsored