Sponsored

Powerboost Home backup power with existing solar?

nkgreen7

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
So my question is can the powerboost be utilized if I have roof solar and a power inlet for a generator? Does anyone know or have tried this. Seems to me that would be an ideal way to save on gas with power out and since the truck is pushing energy you'd think the solar could still effectively function. Hopefully there is an electrical engineer out there just dying to answer this. 😂
Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I have solar and have powered my house with it several times. I have never had the nerve to turn on the solar with the truck hooked up. Would love to hear an opinion from an expert

OP
OP
nkgreen7

nkgreen7

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
I have solar and have powered my house with it several times. I have never had the nerve to turn on the solar with the truck hooked up. Would love to hear an opinion from an expert
Agreed. That is what I'm curious about but same boat I don't have the nerve to try it.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have this watched as I would love to know too. My fear is that any backfeed issue would either shut the Ford off or worse yet, cause damage. The damage could be to the truck or the existing solar.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I'm no expert on this, but some google searching reveals that you cannot put solar and a portable generator in parallel. No different than connecting the PB to the house and requiring the use of a transfer switch to disconnect utility power. You need some type of transfer switch between utility power, solar charge controller, battery system if you have one, and a portable generator or the PB. You could have some type of transfer switch that allows the PB to charge the battery system and shuts off the solar if the solar isn't at a specific level, for example, at night. Then the PB wouldn't be powering the house, but more so charging the battery system while the batteries power the house.

Here is one link that speaks to this:

https://floridasolardesigngroup.com/install-generator-existing-solar-panels/

That came from this search query:

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...33i22i29i30.8880j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Maybe you could set up two banks of batteries and have the solar system charge one set while the PB charges the second set. Then you could use some type of switcher that prioritizes the solar bank unless below a certain charge level and then automatically switch to the truck bank. Then back when the solar bank is back above a certain level. Don't know if there is a monitor system that can do that.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
EE, I've worked in the power industry for over a decade, and have done rooftop solar design. Do Not connect the truck in parallel with your rooftop solar.

I know it sounds like a brilliant idea, but it can cause a lot of issues (and damage) due to there being no system in place to adequately synchronize the generation from the solar with that from the truck.

That said, it sounded like OP said he has a connection for a portable generator already installed. It is probably okay to use this connection to power the house from your truck. It's common to install such connections when doing a solar installation since you are already doing a lot of electrical work. Your solar system should remain offline as long as the grid power is out. But that connection should be isolated from the grid, so it would be safe. Just absolutely check to make sure you know that connection is isolated from the grid. If you don't and you backfeed the grid you can electrocute a technician working on the power lines and be charge with manslaughter. So, yeah, make sure there is a disconnect switch and you're house is isolated from the grid before using that connection.

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
I know it sounds like a brilliant idea, but it can cause a lot of issues (and damage) due to there being no system in place to adequately synchronize the generation from the solar with that from the truck.
"synchronize", that's the word I was trying to think of! (dusting off some cobwebs from my USN nuke power days, lol!) PLENTY of stories and experiences trying to synchronize 2 generators way out of phase - if you were lucky, the breaker stayed open or you heard a fairly loud "BANG". If you were not lucky, plasma fireballs got everyone's attention pretty quickly...
Sponsored