Sponsored

Powerboost first Tow!

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Did our fist towing trip with the PB a few days ago. Compared to what most of you are towing my pop up is very light at only about 1600pds dry, maybe 1750 the way we load it (05 Fleetwood Sea pine). We're probably packing 200pds of gear or so in the bed (2 large coolers and a tent canopy being the heaviest items), 3 people and one dog.

I'm coming from a Jeep Gladiator and upgraded to the F150 because the Gladiator worked a bit harder than I would like under the same load. It could do it pretty easily but having only 286hp and a little over 300ft/lbs of torque, it was working hard. Also wanted more power and room even when not towing.

Happy to report the Powerboost was a huge improvement on all counts. I really could barely notice I was towing anything and we enjoyed the extra space. Half the trip was on windy mountain roads as well. the tow mode worked well, using engine braking on the downhills. Out of the mountains, I really preferred normal mode as it can still occasionally go into electric only mode. We got 21mpg on the way up using mostly normal mode and 18.8 on the way back using a bit more tow mode for the downhills.

I did have a couple, very minor issues. First, the alerts, chimes and warning messages when backing the trailer are ridiculous and annoying as hell. I'm new to towing and had to make many tries to get into our somewhat narrow campsite, having all the alerts go off while I'm already struggling was a bit fustrating. But, I assume at least some of that can be disabled. I haven't set up the trailer assist system yet, which will be a priority before the next trip. Secondly, I need to pick up a hitch with a lower drop. Running a 2" drop from the Jeep, which won't allow the trailer to quite tow level on the F150, so a 3" will likely work much better.

All things considered, a good first towing experience. This was a very light load for this truck, so I really expected nothing less.
Sponsored

markt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Glad it worked well for you. And if the time comes to upgrade to a larger trailer it should work just as well.

If you enter the trailer info and select it when towing, then backup alerts will be turned off and not chirping all the time.

Ziggy73

First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Did our fist towing trip with the PB a few days ago. Compared to what most of you are towing my pop up is very light at only about 1600pds dry, maybe 1750 the way we load it (05 Fleetwood Sea pine). We're probably packing 200pds of gear or so in the bed (2 large coolers and a tent canopy being the heaviest items), 3 people and one dog.

I'm coming from a Jeep Gladiator and upgraded to the F150 because the Gladiator worked a bit harder than I would like under the same load. It could do it pretty easily but having only 286hp and a little over 300ft/lbs of torque, it was working hard. Also wanted more power and room even when not towing.

Happy to report the Powerboost was a huge improvement on all counts. I really could barely notice I was towing anything and we enjoyed the extra space. Half the trip was on windy mountain roads as well. the tow mode worked well, using engine braking on the downhills. Out of the mountains, I really preferred normal mode as it can still occasionally go into electric only mode. We got 21mpg on the way up using mostly normal mode and 18.8 on the way back using a bit more tow mode for the downhills.

I did have a couple, very minor issues. First, the alerts, chimes and warning messages when backing the trailer are ridiculous and annoying as hell. I'm new to towing and had to make many tries to get into our somewhat narrow campsite, having all the alerts go off while I'm already struggling was a bit fustrating. But, I assume at least some of that can be disabled. I haven't set up the trailer assist system yet, which will be a priority before the next trip. Secondly, I need to pick up a hitch with a lower drop. Running a 2" drop from the Jeep, which won't allow the trailer to quite tow level on the F150, so a 3" will likely work much better.

All things considered, a good first towing experience. This was a very light load for this truck, so I really expected nothing less.
I couldn't find your trim level, but I have an XLT with a button on the dash to disable the parking nannies. I believe it has P and a little symbol on it and you can disable the chimes. As well as even in to hall mode sometimes you need to disable 8th 9th or 10th while towing, just to keep it out of boost, but for that little small load it probably is not necessary except disabling 9th, remember anything after 7th is overdrive. I just don't like towing in overdrive.
Sponsored