Sponsored

Powerboost extended storage - battery tender?

macsinbragg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 f 150
I will be heading down south and was planning on taking the truck and trailer down to Arizona, however the border with the US is still closed to land traffic so we are going to fly down. My question is what do I need to do as I wont be driving the truck for several months? Do I need to put a battery tender on it? Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks,

Scotty
Sponsored

crvz

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor (order), 2019 M2
I work in the lithium ion battery field (space flight use), and in general a lithium battery without a load should hold charge for months (and longer) without a tender. But… I haven’t looked at any kind of schematics for the powerboost application. I’d be surprised if there are active loads on the lithium battery when parked, and I suspect you can leave alone. Further, it’s not a 12V battery (A quick google search shows it can be up to 450V?), so I don’t know what tender you might even use. What does Ford say about long-term storage?

A tender on the 12V battery for the ICE electrical system would be smart, but it likely won’t do anything for the powerboost battery.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I would use a CTEK.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I have 2 Battery Tenders that I have used for years on various cars and trucks. I for sure would use one on the Powerboost if it's going to sit for as little as 2 weeks. I haven't had that need, yet. I have already used it on my 2021 Explorer as it doesn't get driven much.

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
Here’s a crazy idea. Plug your battery tender into the powerpro outlet and let the truck start itself up as needed to charge the lithium battery. Parked in a secure area outdoors of course.
Sponsored