Sponsored

Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too?

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
You know, that actually makes sense even if it turns out to be something else. I hope to know soon when I download that fancy manual that I just purchased. I don't know why I'm a little skeptical of the manual, but it's probably because I wonder how it is already obtainable when so little of anything else is yet.
Fingers crossed it will be as good as the claims.
I purchased one for my truck to help me diagnose a CEL. It has its limitations as many of the diagrams are screenshots from internal Ford software that's designed to be interactive. That being said, it's a wealth of information and I don't regret buying it. It came in very handy getting me a new transmission.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
https://www.hotcars.com/watch-and-l...ost-hybrid-pickup-with-a-black-widow-exhaust/

these guys put in some aftermarket exhaust stuff behind the "mystery box"

the dude says he doesn't know exactly what the thing does, other than to suggest it is a "power management thingy" - 44 seconds in
I now have access to the Ford explanation and it is Powerboost exclusive and is a heat exchanger for warming the coolant in the coolant loop for the Hybrid electronics and battery. Unless you live where it is really cold it will be unlikely that the coolant diverter valve will ever direct coolant flow through this exhaust heat source. Also there are 2 coolant loops, 1 for the battery and one for the electronics. Each has a full width radiator mounted in front of the traditional engine coolant radiator. Each loop has its own electric coolant pump. The operating temperature for the battery has such a narrow temperature range that its coolant loop even has access to a refrigerant for cooling.

That second expansion tank that you see under the hood is for the hybrid coolant loops. (both loops share it)

This truck is by far the most complex ensemble of components that I have ever seen. It's a bit stunning, in fact.

I count 7 heat exchangers!

Traditional radiator
Oil cooler
Transmission cooler
Intercooler
EGR cooler
High voltage battery radiator
Hybrid electronics (inverter/converters) radiator

Just amazing

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
From the workshop manual:
"The heat exchanger installed into the muffler inlet intermediate pipe assembly is used to heat engine coolant during engine warm up "
Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? {filename}

Exhaust intermediate pipe
ItemDescription
1Heat exhanger
2Isolator
3Resonator
4Inlet pipe clamp

Sponsored

mclroy

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Occupation
Analyst
I recently traded my 18KingRanch for the Powerboost. I had a really nice hand fabricated and ceramic coated exhaust on the 18 and I removed it with the intention of putting it on the 2021. (the Ecoboost exhaust hasn't changed from 2011-2020, so I had my fingers crossed)

Anyways, 30 seconds on my lift and I knew it was a no-go! What IS this thing? Lol
It's snuggled in between the exhaust clamp of the downpipe and the resonator. Is it on ALL 2021 Ecoboost, or Powerboost exclusive?

Yea, I had to sneak in a barn shot for bragging. :) Forgive my lack of modesty
Watch the mizer brothers on youtube. One of both swap his 2020 exhaust on a 2021 F-150. It look like pretty easy to do the transformation by someone who has these abilities.

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Edit: actually my assumptions are wrong. You can clearly see the exhaust mounted heat exchanger in the engine coolant loop. I guess the explanation for the Powerboost having it exclusively is because the engine doesn't run as long early in each drive cycle so it provides additional coolant heating that the normal motor wouldn't need?

Disregard the following :
If that heat exchanger is exclusive to the Powerboost, I don't think it is in the engine coolant loop, but rather one of the 2 Hybrid coolant loops. Battery or Inverter/electronics.

I'm not saying that the posted language above isn't authentic, but I think it's a typical misuse of the language. I will be tracing the hoses myself to verify, but I think I already see in a diagram in the service manual the loop that comes closest to the exhaust mounted heat exchanger.

Last edited:

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Looking at it, best guess would be a great exchanger for the battery coolant loop to warm the batteries in cold weather when needed. It will be interesting to find out what it is though
The idea is plausible so I think you might be right, but a battery warmer would want coolant flow not an air-liquid heat exchange on exhaust gasses which would have to be restrictive and positioned after all emissions gear, plus it would have a variable heat equation resulting in more or less gas discharge heat depending upon the (tiny) requirements of the battery. Anywho, that doesn't mean it's not possible, just not the way it's done in other electric vehicle systems and I'm no expert, so I don't know how an efficient system could heat liquid circulating around the battery packs from continuously variable exhaust gas temps.
I imagine Ford learned a helluva lot while developing the Lightning (from their own R&D, from examining Tesla vehicles, from partners for batteries and battery management) so the F-150 Prius with its tiny battery-motor system was probably more of an exercise in production engineering and field service (primarily to test market acceptance, which has shocked the industry) and less about getting optimal performance from the de minimis 1.5 kWh battery.

Biocast

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Hybrid 7.2kW
Occupation
Property Mgt
Thinking it has to be engine braking? Then what slows the truck down when you have cruise on and someone pulls in your safe zone read and the truck brakes moderately hard without using the brakes or turning on the brake lights?? This worked great for us on last weeks trip. Does anyone know what slows the truck down? BTW that lane centering is great but need the hands free software add that’s planned for this fall because now it makes you squeeze the wheel too hard to maintain operation. Also the 7.2kW Genset is great, ran the whole house last week for 4 days on 1/2 tank of gas and really quiet too at on/off idle!!

Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? E9965400-4F77-468B-AC7A-CA1C5365DCA6

Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? 84A17F67-EAAF-4A09-BF59-77C0B022C021

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the Ford service manual has already been quoted and has established it as an engine coolant warming circuit.

As for hands free warning to keep your hands on the wheel, there is no sensor in the wheel to know whether you are touching it or not. But rather it senses that the driver hasn't made any effort to turn the wheel during a certain time frame. It only takes the tiniest input to rid the warning, however during Lane keeping the steering is very weighted, so that required nudge is substantial. :)
Sponsored