Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I recently traded my 18KingRanch for the Powerboost. I had a really nice hand fabricated and ceramic coated exhaust on the 18 and I removed it with the intention of putting it on the 2021. (the Ecoboost exhaust hasn't changed from 2011-2020, so I had my fingers crossed)

Anyways, 30 seconds on my lift and I knew it was a no-go! What IS this thing? Lol
It's snuggled in between the exhaust clamp of the downpipe and the resonator. Is it on ALL 2021 Ecoboost, or Powerboost exclusive?

Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? Screenshot_20210719-092023_Gallery

Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? Screenshot_20210719-102608_Gallery

Ford F-150 Powerboost Exhaust, or 2021 3.5EB too? 20210717_132325

Yea, I had to sneak in a barn shot for bragging. :) Forgive my lack of modesty
Sponsored

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
I’m guessing some sort of engine/exhaust brake? Definitely not on the ecoboost’s.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Don't know if it's PB only, but it appears to me as though it's part of the exhaust monitoring system - I see sensors, wire harnesses, and hard lines that lead up towards the engine bay...can't see anything that indicates it would be Powerboost specific, but I'm crawling around on my back in the driveway so I can't really tell.

In either case, it looks like you've found a reason why we don't see any aftermarket exhausts for 2021 out yet...

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m guessing some sort of engine/exhaust brake? Definitely not on the ecoboost’s.
So you have seen the non-Powerboost Ecoboost 2021 model and that contraption wasn't there?

I'm going to try to get better pictures of what exactly is connected to it. I know the orange cables are Fords way of wrapping the high voltage lines related to the Hybrid package, which makes it so much easier to exclude when you are tracing. Thank you Ford.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
We'll need someone who has the full shop manual to provide a pic and whatever it is should be identified pretty well in some diagram there.

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you!

We'll need someone who has the full shop manual to provide a pic and whatever it is should be identified pretty well in some diagram there.
Honestly, I don't know who or where such a person is at this point. It's like I have only seen salesmen who know what a Powerboost is. Everyone else seems to just pretend like they know but how could they? Just the precious few techs that have had to deal with warranty claims have probably even looked at one up close.

Looking forward to the online parts websites to at least get them cataloged.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Thank you!

Honestly, I don't know who or where such a person is at this point. It's like I have only seen salesmen who know what a Powerboost is. Everyone else seems to just pretend like they know but how could they? Just the precious few techs that have had to deal with warranty claims have probably even looked at one up close.

Looking forward to the online parts websites to at least get them cataloged.
There are several on here who have purchased the full 1000+ page shop manuals (They’re available for purchase online).

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the online vendor linked somewhere on the forum? Or do I need to use Google-Fu?

I normally would not be so curious while a vehicle was in warranty and I had no plans to DIY. But this truck is such new territory for me in so many ways. I'm smitten by the unexpected sophistication and technology in it. I'd love to grab one of those manuals.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I believe this is the site someone else used.

https://www.factory-manuals.com/expand-2021-ford-f150-repair-manual-3263.html

You actually enter your VIN and it generates everything specific to your truck so it had the right engine etc. I had one for my 2015, it was impressive the level of detail it goes into. Essentially a full step by step guide to do literally anything on the truck, even troubleshooting flow charts. This is what they use at the dealers when troubleshooting issues and replacing uncommon parts.

I just checked and both the manual and diagrams together were 14,394 pages long just to give you an idea of the level of detail…

Last edited:

PeteRit

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
I believe this is the site someone else used.

https://www.factory-manuals.com/expand-2021-ford-f150-repair-manual-3263.html

You actually enter your VIN and it generates everything specific to your truck so it had the right engine etc. I had one for my 2015, it was impressive the level of detail it goes into. Essentially a full step by step guide to do literally anything on the truck, even troubleshooting flow charts. This is what they use at the dealers when troubleshooting issues and replacing uncommon parts.

I just checked and both the manual and diagrams together were 14,394 pages long just to give you an idea of the level of detail…
My Jeep Wrangler one is 11,853 pages and it mentioned a specific hidden circuit breaker in it exactly 4 times. worth every penny though.

OP
OP
Snakebitten

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking at it, best guess would be a great exchanger for the battery coolant loop to warm the batteries in cold weather when needed. It will be interesting to find out what it is though
You know, that actually makes sense even if it turns out to be something else. I hope to know soon when I download that fancy manual that I just purchased. I don't know why I'm a little skeptical of the manual, but it's probably because I wonder how it is already obtainable when so little of anything else is yet.
Fingers crossed it will be as good as the claims.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
You know, that actually makes sense even if it turns out to be something else. I hope to know soon when I download that fancy manual that I just purchased. I don't know why I'm a little skeptical of the manual, but it's probably because I wonder how it is already obtainable when so little of anything else is yet.
Fingers crossed it will be as good as the claims.
If you have a certain type of membership in some program with Ford you can download those things, it’s like having to be a certified mechanic or something. If you are, you can just plug in a VIN and download the thing, so these guys just sell them as a little business.

I don’t think Ford would exactly condone the process, but it would probably make more people mad if they went and shut these guys down that do this. It sort of has to be available right away because it’s pulled directly from Ford, it’s the same stuff their own techs follow when working on the trucks, it isn’t written by some third party.
Sponsored