First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I am having fun using the EV coach and learning how to drive electric for as long as possible just "because I can". I'm not sure it actually helps ultimate MPG since the battery discharges fairly quickly and it's a zero sum game as the engine will have to run extra to recharge it. BUT it sure gives something fun to do on otherwise boring drives!

What I'm referring to is the EV coach on the instrument cluster. It will show either green "charging", blue "electric", or white "hybrid".

I notice it goes green (charging) not just during regen braking but also while coasting with foot off the pedal (forgive me if this is old news for hybrid owners). I need to learn how to balance this and develop a strategy. I wish we had a real battery meter. If the battery is low then the coasting will use the idle engine cycles to charge it. But if the battery is already full then this coasting with engine idling is wasted gas.

The blue bar is the only way I can figure to get a battery meter. Once electric has kicked in (usually after some idle coasting or tapping brake then coasting) you get a blue bar and can watch as you stay in the range before requiring "hybrid". You have to keep easing off the accel as your bar shrinks and it shrinks quickly at above 30mph! Then you jump back into hybrid again.

I have averaged about 22 MPG when trying, and 18 MPG overall. My scores are 99% on eco coach except deceleration I suck and can't seem to get more than 95% but I will someday! It only has 150 miles so far and the first 37 weren't me.

Anyone got cool tips and tricks to set new records on MPG?
Sponsored

mrtrav

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I’ve heard about this feature. How do I enable it or get it to show up?

edit: I found it in the settings of the instrument cluster. Using the steering wheel arrows you can add more options to the instrument cluster, this being one of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I found it in the instrument cluster, I think it was one of the options in MyView? I liked having that up, along with the brake coach popups to tell me how good each full stop was at doing the regen vs friction braking.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Every day I find out something new about this truck. It’s simply amazing the technology in this vehicle.
Haha I want to keep driving it and discovering more but family members keep coming with me and then I don't get to play I have to just drive. So I've really only had the 8 miles home, plus a 40 minute joyride today where I was by myself to experiment.

Sponsored

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XLT Supercab 5.0L 6.5’ bed
I've also had a lot of fun messing with the EV Coach. Very helpful. Also staggering to see how much energy it takes to get the truck moving vs keeping it moving. I've had some 30+MPG runs to the store and back in almost all electric mode.

I've also noticed a staggering difference in hybrid operation, (which another member here with previous hybrid experience predicted) in the cold vs warmer weather. I've driven at 10degF and 70degF (Classic Upstate, NY February/March) and it's noticeably different operation. Super happy with the truck so far. 775 miles. First tank of fuel was kicked at 630 miles. Not sure what fuel or how full it was when I picked it up though.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've also had a lot of fun messing with the EV Coach. Very helpful. Also staggering to see how much energy it takes to get the truck moving vs keeping it moving. I've had some 30+MPG runs to the store and back in almost all electric mode.

I've also noticed a staggering difference in hybrid operation, (which another member here with previous hybrid experience predicted) in the cold vs warmer weather. I've driven at 10degF and 70degF (Classic Upstate, NY February/March) and it's noticeably different operation. Super happy with the truck so far. 775 miles. First tank of fuel was kicked at 630 miles. Not sure what fuel or how full it was when I picked it up though.
Does the blue bar in electric deplete slower when warm? It was in the 50s yesterday and I was surprised how fast it goes down but maybe in spring this thing will last longer!

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Does the blue bar in electric deplete slower when warm? It was in the 50s yesterday and I was surprised how fast it goes down but maybe in spring this thing will last longer!
It's hard to put a real number on it, but I can say I felt like I was able to get longer run times out of the electric-only driving. I do live in a City though, so maybe different for most other F150 owners.

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
You can tap the brake very very lightly (if road condition permitted) to force EV mode if you are anticipating a red light far ahead or you are going downhill.

DannyboyUpstate

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
he brake very very lightly (if road condition permitted) to force EV mode if you are anticipating a red light far ahead or you are going downhill.
Yeah I've found that if you just let all the way off the gas, it will go into charging mode, and then when you push the gas again, if conditions warrant, it will automatically go into Electric mode. I've been trying to anticipate where there isn't a hill, or there will be a long stretch of low speed driving in-town to maximize the electric only driving.

Sponsored

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Yeah I've found that if you just let all the way off the gas, it will go into charging mode, and then when you push the gas again, if conditions warrant, it will automatically go into Electric mode. I've been trying to anticipate where there isn't a hill, or there will be a long stretch of low speed driving in-town to maximize the electric only driving.
You are correct and specially in warm weather. In winter time, I found that by tapping the brake will more likely to turn on EV mode. The only negative is people behind you will find you crazy when they see brake lights with no one in front of you, LOL!

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm excited to learn more about how this engine works. Since electric can basically deliver power instantly on demand, I would imagine the algorithm is to favor electric for sudden changes in demand to cover the gap where the gas is less efficient. So you want the battery charged and available in those cases. I don't know yet whether trying to toggle electric (and deplete it fully) back to hybrid (to drive and charge fully) and back to electric constantly is actually more efficient or less efficient yet. You *still* have to pay to charge the battery regardless, and it will either be from spare engine power while coasting or while driving (and demanding slightly higher RPM's than the actual driving would need as an ecoboost). There is an efficiency loss on the charge cycle as well so it is not like we're getting "free" energy. The only "free" energy is recaptured brake energy that otherwise would have gone to friction.

I'll admit it is fun as hell to try to see what fraction you can get on electric miles. I was up to about 50% on my joyride yesterday but ended up with about 40% by the time I got home. Was doing too many streets where speed was like 50mph. I have a trip to the local pharmacy later today that I am stupidly excited for, I want to get at least 50% electric miles!

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone tried enabling the "Journeys" beta in Fordpass yet? Talk about being nitpicked to death!

Ford F-150 Powerboost EV Coach Screenshot_20210315-135203_FordPass

You get your full trip with every corner, brake, and acceleration graded. This is one way in a 3 mile trip to the store and there were 24 grades!

Ford F-150 Powerboost EV Coach Screenshot_20210315-135217_FordPass

Like ok I SUCK ASS at braking! Got the message LMAO. But I can round corners like nobody's business ?

barbersbbq

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I am having fun using the EV coach and learning how to drive electric for as long as possible just "because I can". I'm not sure it actually helps ultimate MPG since the battery discharges fairly quickly and it's a zero sum game as the engine will have to run extra to recharge it. BUT it sure gives something fun to do on otherwise boring drives!

What I'm referring to is the EV coach on the instrument cluster. It will show either green "charging", blue "electric", or white "hybrid".

I notice it goes green (charging) not just during regen braking but also while coasting with foot off the pedal (forgive me if this is old news for hybrid owners). I need to learn how to balance this and develop a strategy. I wish we had a real battery meter. If the battery is low then the coasting will use the idle engine cycles to charge it. But if the battery is already full then this coasting with engine idling is wasted gas.

The blue bar is the only way I can figure to get a battery meter. Once electric has kicked in (usually after some idle coasting or tapping brake then coasting) you get a blue bar and can watch as you stay in the range before requiring "hybrid". You have to keep easing off the accel as your bar shrinks and it shrinks quickly at above 30mph! Then you jump back into hybrid again.

I have averaged about 22 MPG when trying, and 18 MPG overall. My scores are 99% on eco coach except deceleration I suck and can't seem to get more than 95% but I will someday! It only has 150 miles so far and the first 37 weren't me.

Anyone got cool tips and tricks to set new records on MPG?
I’d have my truck now. Could you show some pictures?

barbersbbq

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum

edit: I found it in the settings of the instrument cluster. Using the steering wheel arrows you can add more options to the instrument cluster, this being one of them.
where did you find it?
Sponsored