First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat PB
Occupation
Retired
This is the second time I've seen a Dyno of the PB, my only question is HOW is there less then an avg 11% drivetrain loss only?!? Usually it's at least 15-16%! That's crazy and efficient.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
This is the second time I've seen a Dyno of the PB, my only question is HOW is there less then an avg 11% drivetrain loss only?!? Usually it's at least 15-16%! That's crazy and efficient.
Its a 14% loss on HP, 11% on torque.

I heard a rumor that PBs are slightly underrated from factory, to keep the Raptor from looking bad.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
If they ever figure out how to tune them it should be some even more impressive numbers. But any way you cut it, over 500lbft to the wheels is pretty fun, and quite the feat given the efficiency of it.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
If they ever figure out how to tune them it should be some even more impressive numbers. But any way you cut it, over 500lbft to the wheels is pretty fun, and quite the feat given the efficiency of it.
And what makes the PB real special is how smoothly the 518 ft-lbs is delivered. You hardly feel the tranny do its work and shift because the electric motor fills in the torque gaps seamlessly. I had a 17 Raptor before this, and that truck felt jerky and decidedly turbo-ey compared to the PB in terms of power delivery.

Sponsored

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
We need mods to improve PB performance with no trace on ECU.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Just imagine if they had stuck the ~100hp electric motor in there from the hybrid Fusion drivetrain...
yep. the battery and motor out of the Lincoln Aviator (strengthened) with plug-in … would be a helluva truck.

OP
OP
hotrod_renegade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
yep. the battery and motor out of the Lincoln Aviator (strengthened) with plug-in … would be a helluva truck.
Maybe we'll see something like this with the 2.7 later on down the road...less powerful engine but more powerful electric motor so it works out about the same. The 2.7 already gets pretty good fuel mileage and makes decent power as is. Will be interesting to see how far Ford takes the Hybrid tech within the F-150 line.

Sponsored

MikeG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Maybe we'll see something like this with the 2.7 later on down the road...less powerful engine but more powerful electric motor so it works out about the same. The 2.7 already gets pretty good fuel mileage and makes decent power as is. Will be interesting to see how far Ford takes the Hybrid tech within the F-150 line.
I think a 2.7 plug-in Hybrid would be awesome. 30-50 kW sized battery. But then Ford would be competing with it's own truck (the Lightning).

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I think a 2.7 plug-in Hybrid would be awesome. 30-50 kW sized battery. But then Ford would be competing with it's own truck (the Lightning).
I don't see the point in the 2.7 vs 3.5, but adding 30+kWh and a 100kW+ motor with plug-in would be a-whole-nother level of performance for both commuting and touring.

As for competing with the Lightning, I think the BEV buyer wants a BEV – the buying decision is somewhere between:
100% business benefit and practical (e.g. trades, fleets, commuter, weekender) and
100% lifestyle (no putrid gas stations, always full in the morning, silent, fastest, "climate")
aware of climate change.)
If the buyer wants to tour or tow long distance the Lightning is not the right vehicle.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
More fantasy talk about 30 kwh battery and bigger electric motor etc. from folks with poor understanding of EVs.

If F150 had a 30 kwh battery, its payload would reduce to zero and bed would have to be much shallower. At which point it simply stops being a pickup truck and you should just buy the lincoln aviator instead or pure EV. F150 is a truck and even the hybrid version of it does ALL the truck things with zero compromise. If you compromise payload or bed size, it becomes pointless.

It also probably will not add as much to the fuel efficiency as you think since the bigger battery would have to be charged by the gas motor working much much harder. And the lincoln aviator you refer to isn't that fast. Wonder why??

Because batteries are heavy and you cannot magically fit a bigger battery and EV motor in a truck and keep everything else the same. Physics doesn't work that way. We've been over this in multiple threads, yet I see at least 2-3 new posts everyday (cough @F-150 Prius) regurgitating this fantasy.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
More fantasy talk about 30 kwh battery and bigger electric motor etc. from folks with poor understanding of EVs.

If F150 had a 30 kwh battery, its payload would reduce to zero and bed would have to be much shallower. At which point it simply stops being a pickup truck and you should just buy the lincoln aviator instead or pure EV. F150 is a truck and even the hybrid version of it does ALL the truck things with zero compromise. If you compromise payload or bed size, it becomes pointless.

It also probably will not add as much to the fuel efficiency as you think since the bigger battery would have to be charged by the gas motor working much much harder. And the lincoln aviator you refer to isn't that fast. Wonder why??

Because batteries are heavy and you cannot magically fit a bigger battery and EV motor in a truck and keep everything else the same. Physics doesn't work that way. We've been over this in multiple threads, yet I see at least 2-3 new posts everyday (cough @F-150 Prius) regurgitating this fantasy.
The Aviator plug-in performance is similar to the F-150 Hybrid – 0-60 in 5 seconds and a quarter mile in mid 13 seconds. Adding 30-50 kWh to the F-150 need not change it's payload or towing capacity at all (only increase it's curb weight which Ford could offset by removing the belt drive starter motor and combining the cooling systems as well as going to an independent rear suspension.)
PHEVs invariable improve about EPA and mpge over hybrids.
Looking under the F-150 Hybrid, there's a lot of space between the frame rails. One design factor would be keeping a larger battery assembly away from exhaust heat (while using that engin heat to regulate the battery temperatures during cold weather.)
A Tesla Model 3 has four battery packs, each about 200lbs and 20kWh. The F-150 has a load capacity of 1700 to 2200lb.
If there is a limiting factor it would be cooling the motor for sustained 100kW+ output.

David Gordon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Oilfield
I just traded my 2020 Denalli 6.2 w/ Cold air kit for a 21 Platinum Powerboost and I must say the GM felt way faster. Maybe I am missing something. Also the motor dying all the time is annoying.
Sponsored