Powerboost Destroyed Its Own Engine

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Two days ago I pulled out of my driveway and when I hit the gas and the ICE fired up, it was running really rough and not accelerating smoothly. Then, a flashing check engine light. A quick search showed this means something really bad. The Ford Pass app said to drive moderately to the nearest Ford dealership, which luckily was only a mile and a half away. Truck drove fine in electric, so as much as possible I stayed in electric on the way. I was hoping maybe it was a coil pack or something causing a misfire.

So apparently it’s not that simple….all the dealer has told me so far today is that at least one cylinder has significant damage, perhaps more. They said possibly replacing the engine block. Worst part is that they won’t dig into the truck more until the end of next week at the earliest. Service tech stated that because it’s a holiday weekend and this will be a big job they can’t start it now. So I’m without transportation until at least then, but probably much longer as whatever parts it will need (hoping for a whole new engine at this point…)surely won’t be easy to find, and that’s after they figure out exactly what went wrong and how significant the damage is. I called Ford Customer Service and they offered no help while I’m waiting for the dealership to get around to looking through it. I can shell out for a rental now, it am not guaranteed reimbursement until Ford does whatever they need to do to determine why a 7 month old truck with 9,000 miles on it decided to implode.

Im being told I just have to wait without a car. Once they tear the engine apart and figure out what’s wrong, I might be able to get reimbursed for a loaner car, but at $45 a day. A quick search showed me that not even an econobox is less that $70 a day. I recapped an hour phone conversation with the Ford rep and said that basically Ford is leaving me without a car for at least a week, and if I rent my own car I might not be reimbursed for what most likely would be close to a $1,000 rental bill. She agreed that that was the solution she had available and there was nothing else she could do. The truck has been driven responsibility, as shown by last 1,000 miles having an average mpg of 22. What I have towed is well within specs. Engines should not be shredding themselves at 9,000 miles.

Anyone else had experience with their Powerboost having this issue? Any suggestions on next steps to at least be able to get around for however long it takes for all of this to get sorted out?
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Pretty typical story sadly. I suspect you will get a rental, but it will be a fight. If you are in a pinch and need a ride but want to keep the cost down, check

https://turo.com

DarkSkyForever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2022 F150 701A (Ordered)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Can you go through your insurance? Mine offers rental reimbursement for things like this.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
do you have a ford ESP warranty? how many mile son truck and is it under the 3/36 bumper to bumper
they have to provide a rental. its in the ESP program.. if they keep it over night, whether is being worked on or scheduled and is un drive able
you get a fiesta but at least its a mode of transport

and check with your insurance agent.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
do you have a ford ESP warranty? how many mile son truck and is it under the 3/36 bumper to bumper
they have to provide a rental. its in the ESP program.. if they keep it over night, whether is being worked on or scheduled and is un drive able
you get a fiesta but at least its a mode of transport

and check with your insurance agent.
I did not get an ESP. My first mistake apparently…..after this is all done I’m going to look into one I suppose. Especially if Ford doesn’t end up replacing the whole engine. The dealership I bought it from offers loaner cars whenever you bring something in for service, but for many reasons I can’t go back there again. That’s another issue, but it’s a huge complicating factor in all of this. Ford doesn’t seem to care about that detail either. They just keep saying there’s nothing that can be done for at least a week.

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Sounds like a 3.5 EB unfortunately. My 16' and 21' were both terrible. Hopefully they can get you fixed and back on the road soon or at least taken care of via rental during all this.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
Typical?

How is the sad situation @LHoffmanjr22 finds himself in typical?
The 2.7 EcoBoost apparently was built over a period of time with bad valves so a bunch of them have died on the road this year and needed new engines. I'm wondering if this 3.5 might be suffering the same malady and, if so, will there be a bunch more to come for the 3.5.

Sponsored

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
I should have added more clarification. The dealer response is typical, not the engine failure.
Haha! That makes sense. My brain just interpreted your post backwards. :D

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finally got someone at Ford to actually notice this, and have been cleared for a rental car. It shouldn’t take 4 customer service reps and nearly 5 hours on the phone to convince someone that the least they could do is ensure I can actually get around. Now to wait and find out what actually happened to the engine and how long it will take to fix…..

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I haven't seen anything reported on the 3.5 Ecoboost that would parallel the 2.7 in the Bronco.

And even the 2.7 Bronco story is blown a bit out of proportion, in my opinion. Similar to the Toyota Tundra wastegate issue.

But it makes great theater. And of course if you ARE one of the unfortunate to have gotten one of the vehicles that have the malady, it doesn't matter how few there are.

Anyways, I just hope all concerned step up and get this truck addressed like it should be. It's such a lousy time in automotive history for getting even some of the most ordinary warranty claims handled reasonably. Brand new trucks being disabled for weeks or months while waiting for a part that can be exchanged in an hour. It's crazy

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
To be clear, 3.5’s are not typically blowing up. This is actually the first I’ve heard on this forum of a serious issue like that for a Powerboost. That’s not to say I couldn’t have missed another post, but I’ve been here a while and frequently, so it’s very much not a common problem.

Sorry to hear you’re dealing with it. Hopefully they’re able to get it squared away quickly. Occasionally big off the wall failures like this result in a ford engineer being sent from Michigan to track the issue down. If that’s the case, they’ll track down a new motor quick so they can get yours back to Dearborn for study.

Respectfully but sternly stay on your Ford case rep about this. They can pull some strings if you get a good one.

Lastly, keep us posted! I’m interested to see what the dealer finds

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
My 2011 3.5 Ecoboost did something like that when it about a year old and then one other time. Going to pass someone, slow tip into the throttle, then misfires and power was pulled for the next mile or two. Second time was on vacation the day after a long day of driving. Pulling into the highway. I manually downshifted and pretended that it was a normally aspirated engine. High rpm to keep going. The misfires stopped after a few miles and the flashing CEL went away. I never got it into the dealer. The fuel economy was never quite the same after that. I never trusted it to go when I stepped on it either. Good luck. Your power boost is different beast, but misfires and CEL are not unknown to Ford Ecoboost engines.
Sponsored