OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
We’ll, after more phone calls and escalation to something called the Customer Concern team, I have been approved for a loaner car. Finally, the dealership where my truck is at admitted to that team that they do know about the rental car program, and actually have a specific rental car location in the area they work with. This after first telling me they’ve never heard of Ford paying for rental cars for anyone, and then telling one Ford customer team that they have heard of it, but they have never done it for anyone. Unfortunately, they didn’t decide to admit all this until 5:30 on Friday, before the 4th of July weekend. So I get to start hunting down a rental tomorrow, but been without anything this entire weekend. Truck still isn’t scheduled to be looked at maybe until the end of this week. Dealership has confirmed at least one cylinder has damage according to a stethoscope check. One spark plug was taken out and it was twisted a bit, but that’s all they will do until the end of the week. I have a feeling it’s going to be a long time until my truck is back, and I’ll have to call constantly to make sure everyone is staying honest. If the dealership can’t be honest about helping with a rental car, how can I trust anything.
Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
So unfortunate. Lying bastards. I'd point that out in every conversation with them that sounds even a little fishy!

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
After that, I might consider taking it to another dealer.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After that, I might consider taking it to another dealer.
I actually asked about that. They said it’s my choice, and the tow is $250 to get to the next closest dealer. And I’d be moved to the next Ava island appointment at that dealership, which is into the following week at the earliest. The customer care rep said they’d be following me through to the conclusion of this, so hopefully if I stay on top of things it will all get done. We’ll see I suppose.

Reactions: 780

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I actually asked about that. They said it’s my choice, and the tow is $250 to get to the next closest dealer. And I’d be moved to the next Ava island appointment at that dealership, which is into the following week at the earliest. The customer care rep said they’d be following me through to the conclusion of this, so hopefully if I stay on top of things it will all get done. We’ll see I suppose.
If you took it back to the Dealership where you bought it... stick with them. The dealership where you DIDN'T buy it has their own loyal customers in need of service and you WILL be at the bottom of "the list".

I had a similar experience with my truck a month after I drove it off the lot.

It took their ONE Mechanic 3 weeks to check it out and 2+ months to get the parts.

But... they gave me a Dealership owned loaner, no questions asked with no obligation whatsoever.

The fact that this is the 4th new Ford I've purchased from this Dealership over the years, and I bought the "Premium Care ESP" might have been why they did me so right.

But be prepared for a long wait. This supply chain thing has everything really f'd up!

Good luck! Keep us posted...

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If you took it back to the Dealership where you bought it... stick with them. The dealership where you DIDN'T buy it has their own loyal customers in need of service and you WILL be at the bottom of "the list".

I had a similar experience with my truck a month after I drove it off the lot.

It took their ONE Mechanic 3 weeks to check it out and 2+ months to get the parts.

But... they gave me a Dealership owned loaner, no questions asked with no obligation whatsoever.

The fact that this is the 4th new Ford I've purchased from this Dealership over the years, and I bought the "Premium Care ESP" might have been why they did me so right.

But be prepared for a long wait. This supply chain thing has everything really f'd up!

Good luck! Keep us posted...
Unfortunately this is not the dealership I bought from. For a whole host of reasons and bad experiences, I can’t go back to that dealership. This is just the closest one to my house. This is actually my third 2021 F150 in a year. The first Powerboost I had threw a CEL immediately after I drove off the lot, and the dealership couldn’t figure out why, so I got a regular 3.5 about two weeks after. Then that truck had some smaller issues, but the purchasing dealers treatment was subpar, and I was offered a deal on this truck as compensation for their treatment in February. If this truck is down for longer than a month I plan on pursuing a lemon law claim. I really don’t want to purchase something again, especially in this market, but I also have had quite a bad experience with Ford overall. Their quality control on the 21’s has been pretty bad, at least in my experience. We’ll see how all of this goes I suppose.

• Wow

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Unfortunately this is not the dealership I bought from. For a whole host of reasons and bad experiences, I can’t go back to that dealership. This is just the closest one to my house. This is actually my third 2021 F150 in a year. The first Powerboost I had threw a CEL immediately after I drove off the lot, and the dealership couldn’t figure out why, so I got a regular 3.5 about two weeks after. Then that truck had some smaller issues, but the purchasing dealers treatment was subpar, and I was offered a deal on this truck as compensation for their treatment in February. If this truck is down for longer than a month I plan on pursuing a lemon law claim. I really don’t want to purchase something again, especially in this market, but I also have had quite a bad experience with Ford overall. Their quality control on the 21’s has been pretty bad, at least in my experience. We’ll see how all of this goes I suppose.
Surprised you stuck with Ford. I guess third time's not always the charm? Out of curiosity, why didn't you consider another brand after the first or second truck?

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Hard to believe lightening has struck the same place so many times. Anything in your routine that might be an issue, frequently use the same gas station maybe?

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Surprised you stuck with Ford. I guess third time's not always the charm? Out of curiosity, why didn't you consider another brand after the first or second truck?
My first truck was a 2017 F150 and I had zero issues with it. It was fantastic. For the first truck, I knew it was something with the Powerboost side, so I figured it was growing pains with new technology. I loved, and still do love, everything else about the truck. So when the dealer offered to take that one back for a 21 without Powerboost, I figured that would solve the issue. It did, as that truck really didn’t have anything too wrong, it was more a matter of the way the dealership treated me when I did have a few things to get fixed. They were pretty typical things, but it turned into a situation where they were wrong and needed to make it right. I really don’t like the look of Chevy’s so that was never really an option for me. As for Ram, they are really nice and I did look at them, but initially it was the Powerboost that hooked me to Ford, and since then truck prices have gone so high that I couldn’t really afford to just walk away and start over.

OP
OP

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hard to believe lightening has struck the same place so many times. Anything in your routine that might be an issue, frequently use the same gas station maybe?
The issues with the first Powerboost happened a mile from the dealer. In their initial diagnosis, the dealership said they had no idea what was wrong, but it had to do with the Powerboost portion of the drivetrain. I spent a week and a half in a rental while the dealership had techs from Ford working to tear the truck apart and try to figure out the issue. While I owned that truck, I only drove it about 10 miles in all, so I don’t think that really was anything to do with me. The second truck really didn’t have serious issues, the problem there was more the dealership and shop and their treatment of me and handling of the issues. With this current truck, there’s nothing out of the ordinary. I do tow a trailer occasionally, but it’s well within all the tow ratings of the truck. I weigh it and it’s always under all specs. I use the same gas stations I’ve used for the last 5-10 years as I’ve always lived in the same town.

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
Two days ago I pulled out of my driveway and when I hit the gas and the ICE fired up, it was running really rough and not accelerating smoothly. Then, a flashing check engine light. A quick search showed this means something really bad. The Ford Pass app said to drive moderately to the nearest Ford dealership, which luckily was only a mile and a half away. Truck drove fine in electric, so as much as possible I stayed in electric on the way. I was hoping maybe it was a coil pack or something causing a misfire.

So apparently it’s not that simple….all the dealer has told me so far today is that at least one cylinder has significant damage, perhaps more. They said possibly replacing the engine block. Worst part is that they won’t dig into the truck more until the end of next week at the earliest. Service tech stated that because it’s a holiday weekend and this will be a big job they can’t start it now. So I’m without transportation until at least then, but probably much longer as whatever parts it will need (hoping for a whole new engine at this point…)surely won’t be easy to find, and that’s after they figure out exactly what went wrong and how significant the damage is. I called Ford Customer Service and they offered no help while I’m waiting for the dealership to get around to looking through it. I can shell out for a rental now, it am not guaranteed reimbursement until Ford does whatever they need to do to determine why a 7 month old truck with 9,000 miles on it decided to implode.

Im being told I just have to wait without a car. Once they tear the engine apart and figure out what’s wrong, I might be able to get reimbursed for a loaner car, but at $45 a day. A quick search showed me that not even an econobox is less that $70 a day. I recapped an hour phone conversation with the Ford rep and said that basically Ford is leaving me without a car for at least a week, and if I rent my own car I might not be reimbursed for what most likely would be close to a $1,000 rental bill. She agreed that that was the solution she had available and there was nothing else she could do. The truck has been driven responsibility, as shown by last 1,000 miles having an average mpg of 22. What I have towed is well within specs. Engines should not be shredding themselves at 9,000 miles.

Anyone else had experience with their Powerboost having this issue? Any suggestions on next steps to at least be able to get around for however long it takes for all of this to get sorted out?
My PB has 11,500 . No issues like that to date . Had plenty of generator faulting issues but ice has not had issues .

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Just be careful about throwing the "LL" word around. Once they hear you utter those words you become radioactive.

As far as the quality control on the 21's AND the 22's... it's not your imagination.

I did a lot of research on ESPs and planned on going with Zeigler. But when they shocked me with the 0% loan, I immediately added the Ford Premium Care ESP for an extra $25.00 a month.

The sales rep said something to the effect of... "that's a good idea, you never know where they're getting parts from these days".

When their chip manufacturer can't deliver, they'll get chips from "Bob's Bait, Tackle and CHIPS" just to keep those lines running!

And that goes for all the other components they outsource.

It's not just Ford and I don't see any of that changing for a few years...

Good luck!
Sponsored