Powerboost Destroyed Its Own Engine

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
The service r manager couldn’t tell me exactly what components were part of the long block. I don’t know all of them either. But, for example, if the engine overheated and caused this, then perhaps there’s something wrong with the engine cooling system. I know for a fact that’s not part of the long block. So that stays. And if there’s some odd issue in there that they aren’t inspecting because they aren’t willing to go one step further, then this could potentially happen again, and it wouldn’t be a coincidence. It just makes me very unsettled that they aren’t even willing to engage in a conversation about it. And then the mention of getting the truck back to me in under 30 days without me bringing up anything related to lemon law makes it feel like this is all being rushed to meet a timeline.
I am an old guy, but back in the day, these were the meanings:
* short block: block with no heads or intake manifold,
* long block: block with heads, no intake manifold
* undressed: complete engine minus accessories (AC, alternator, PS pump, etc.)
* dressed: varying degrees of included accessories (dressed minus AC, etc.)
Sponsored

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Long Block 3.5 Ecoboost

OIP (2).jpeg
That is a seriously complete long block. Back when I started in the industry, all you got was the block and heads, no accessories at all.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That is a seriously complete long block. Back when I started in the industry, all you got was the block and heads, no accessories at all.
Yea, but back then we weren't nearly the disposable culture that we are now? :)

We are now more plug&play, and it does require less skill/knowledge/training/experience, not to mention raises the price considerably.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Ha! The voices that were raised weren’t mine. Im fairly good about when to lose my temper and when to keep it under control and let the other side self destruct. it also helped that I’m that situation I was actually in the right. When the facts are on your side, pound the facts. When they aren’t on your side, pound the table. I wasn’t pounding the table that time. We came to an agreement that suited both sides.
Never heard this one. I like it.

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
a long block that way is safer to ship as you just put caps on the holes to keep junk out of engine. if it has no intake open that could allow junk exposure during shipping.

Plus with new engines, that is how it comes from the assembly plant. With rebuilt engines a long block is different because the variety of intakes, accessory drives, etc can be countless.

Last edited:

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
Yea, but back then we weren't nearly the disposable culture that we are now? :)

We are now more plug&play, and it does require less skill/knowledge/training/experience, not to mention raises the price considerably.
Theoretically, providing the engine in this almost complete state removes some error from the technician while assembling and installing . I am not assuming mistakes could not be made [ as I never assume anything] but it does lessen the possibility. It is more plug and play as you said. Truly we have moved to a more disposable society , but we have been moving in this direction for a long time.
Sponsored