First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Within this long and distinguished thread is the history of the Powerboost Exhaust Heat Exchanger leak.

The earliest victims experienced the combined "we have never seen this before" dealership response, and the unimaginable supply chain restraint of NO replacement exhaust heat exchanger available.

Some dealerships grounded the Powerboost and the owner would be without their vehicle for MONTHS.
Others were allowed to use their trucks and would add new coolant at the rate of the leak, until the replacement part arrived.

As the problem became better understood by Ford, they were able to shorten the delivery time. At times it would narrow to a few weeks, and for the very fortunate, just days.

Eventually Ford released documentation to the dealerships to NOT replace the complete assembly (exhaust heat exchanger and midpipe. ~$900) but rather just the plastic coolant hose couplers (tubes). I suspect before this documentation was released, these plastic tube/couplers weren't even available as a stand alone part?

Anyways, THAT is what these are that I ordered. And the intent is for me to have them available if my truck does spring a leak. I will HAVE them.

And of course if someone here finds their truck grounded for potential weeks, they can certainly get a set from me to rescue their truck.

Well I just ordered 4 of them.. Let's see who gets them first, the dealer or me.. :unsure:
Sponsored

Recurve

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Just heard back from my dealer. They're saying it is the inlet tube o'ring that is bad. Does this make sense to anyone?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Received.
So 15 days from order until receiving from Lakeway Ford online.

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 20230317_171738

For scale:

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread 20230317_171925

So these would supposedly address the actual most common leak point?

But you can also get a code a CEL(?) without a leak, as a result of a malfunctioning valve.
If anyone comes across a part# for the valve itself, perhaps we could get out in front of that too.

Only the replacement of the full heat exchanger assembly would be something too expensive to purchase on an "what if" basis.

turbopilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Powerboost
Received.

20230317_171738.jpg

For scale:

20230317_171925.jpg

But you can also get a code a CEL(?) without a leak, as a result of a malfunctioning valve.
If anyone comes across a part# for the valve itself, perhaps we could get out in front of that too.

Only the replacement of the full heat exchanger assembly would be something too expensive to purchase on an "what if" basis.
Thanks for the tip. I order a couple as well.

I also think it is wise just to carry some fast setting JB Weld. Over the years I have patched several coolant leaks from pin holes in castings to cracked plastic hose components with JB Weld. Just slather it on over the leak. In some cases the patch has worked for years. Not elegant but much faster than installing components in the field.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just heard back from my dealer. They're saying it is the inlet tube o'ring that is bad. Does this make sense to anyone?
Based on the parts shown by Snakebitten it most certianly does. I'd bet at this point that for the vast majority of us the issue (leak without code) has been faulty o-rings. May be worth finding suitable high quality chemical resistant o-rings and try replacing them first without replacing the plastic fittings.

Received.

20230317_171738.jpg

For scale:

20230317_171925.jpg

I can't belive this is all that's holding up the repair on mine... @Snakebitten I'm almost to the point of buying a pair of these from you and then selling a pair back when mine arrive just to get my truck back sooner.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can't belive this is all that's holding up the repair on mine... @Snakebitten I'm almost to the point of buying a pair of these from you and then selling a pair back when mine arrive just to get my truck back sooner.
Is your truck declared non-driveable?

If you want a set, all you have to do is ask. They're yours.
You can replenish the inventory at your leisure.

Of course I need your shipping address. :)

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not completely sure it is an o-ring failure. I suspect that the plastic cracks or deforms?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Is your truck declared non-driveable?

If you want a set, all you have to do is ask. They're yours.
You can replenish the inventory at your leisure.

Of course I need your shipping address. :)
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. :)

I'm not completely sure it is an o-ring failure. I suspect that the plastic cracks or deforms?
Hard to say which it is. If the pipes are deforming or cracking it could be because they used straight ABS instead of a glass/carbon impregnated ABS or poly-carb blend that is regularly used for plastic coolant piping.

Wait. @Porpoise Hork

Your truck at a dealership in Houston?
Which side of town?
It's at Tomball Ford. They didn't want me to drive it because it started pouring coolant out when they inspected it. Apparently they are replacing both coolant connections as well as the heat exchanger mid-pipe assembly. It didn't throw a code when it started leaking so I am not sure why they are wanting to replace the mid-pipe too unless they identified a problem with it as well. Or are just figuring that if they replace all of the parts it should be fixed.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Over two weeks in and no estimate from Ford on parts availability. Contacted Ford customer care and they are going to attempt to expedite it to get the parts to the dealer sooner.

Coincidentally enough I just received confirmation from youroempartsstore.com (Ancira Eagle Pass Ford) that my order of 4 "NL3Z-18663-A Tube Heater Water" has shipped and based on previous orders from them they should be delivered by Thursday at the latest. Once they come in I'll probably swing by the dealer with a pair of them... If they verify these are parts they are waiting for and accept them to perform the repair I will see if they will give me the ordered ones when they finally arrive. Hopefully they will accept/install the parts if this is what they ordered. If so I may press them to install them then idle the truck to bring it up to temp then cool down a couple of times and check to see if that fixes it or if they still need the mid-pipe as well.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dearler called, they swapped the O'rings and say my truck is ready.

I'll keep you all updated as to whether issue is fixed long term or not.
A year ago it was 3 month wait for a $1000.00 part
Today its a 10¢ o-ring

Amazing what a little time and some field data and some communication can accomplish.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
A year ago it was 3 month wait for a $1000.00 part
Today its a 10¢ o-ring

Amazing what a little time and some field data and some communication can accomplish.
His dealer actually has some old school techs who know how to fix cars instead of shotgun blasting parts at it.

I talked to my dealer and they insisted that the exhaust pipe assembly also needs to be replaced despite the TSB stating the contrary. I sugesseted just trying to replace the o-rings or that I would be happy to supply the coolant line parts when they arrive. They also stated that unfortunately they can't accept "owner supplied parts on warranty repairs" even if they are still in the original packaging and are the correct parts. So I get to wait for Ford to get their act together and ship all the parts. So my wait could be weeks to months long depending on when they will finally supply replacement parts to the dealership. :confused:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You must know how I feel about that.
It's absolutely ridiculous.
It's making up rules that impede the ability to provide customer service without ANY logical or defendable reasoning.

It's nothing short of arrogance and abuse of imagined authority.

They wonder why the relationship is adversarial?
And they campaign for a good online review afterwards?

I can guarantee you that I will put my truck on my own lift and swap out those tubes if it springs a leak.

And if I'm unfortunate enough to actually need the whole mid-pipe assembly?
I'm not sure the $900 bucks would stop me from doing the same.
I try so hard to create goodwill between myself and those I do business with. But when they just INVENT ways to stymie a solution? For no reason other than they get some kind of stroke from it?

Life is too short.
And I enjoy this truck way too much to let them have an opportunity to sully the experience.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
And that's why I ordered two sets of the coolant fittings. If/when it it starts to leak again I'll just fix it myself instead.

Most dealership service departments really dislike those of us who not only know how to work on cars/trucks, but also are better at identifying issues and telling them how to fix it. What's sad is I actually have a fairly good relationship with this dealership over the Ranger. They know I know what I am talking about and I think it still irritates them.
Sponsored