Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread

Watercloud6

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Hey everyone, just seeing who may or may not have gone through the lemon law process/had the dealer buy out their truck. I skimmed the 85 pages and didn’t really see anybody mention they went through the process. Just checking to see who made an attempt or what you may have gotten out of the situation! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It's very possible that no one has bothered since it's a simple repair that has resolved it the first time in for the majority of those who had the issue. The bigger problem is Ford's complete inability and utter failure to provide the required parts so dealers can fix it in any semblance of a timely manner.

Watercloud6

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
It's very possible that no one has bothered since it's a simple repair that has resolved it the first time in for the majority of those who had the issue. The bigger problem is Ford's complete inability and utter failure to provide the required parts so dealers can fix it in any semblance of a timely manner.
I can see that. I just find it crazy that some people can’t drive their trucks for months at a time due to such a simple thing. My leak was was so severe when the leak finally started, my coolant would leak out after about 10 miles of driving, so not drivable at all. Yeah I got a rental but it’s a little suv because ford only covers $60 a day.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I can see that. I just find it crazy that some people can’t drive their trucks for months at a time due to such a simple thing. My leak was was so severe when the leak finally started, my coolant would leak out after about 10 miles of driving, so not drivable at all. Yeah I got a rental but it’s a little suv because ford only covers $60 a day.
Some people are just willing to wait and not press the issue with Ford. Others will go to Ford corporate for a buy back at the first repeat issue that comes up. Then more lime myself who will reach out and get Ford Customer Care involved to attempt to expedite parts to the dealer. Squeaky wheel kinda thing. I will usually give Ford around 2 weeks to get parts to the dealer and then reach out to Customer Care if they fail to deliver parts by that time.

Another added benefit is many times Ford will not only reimburse you for the monthly payments if it's been longer than a month waiting on parts, as well as give you free Premium Care extended warranty coverage as well. Just got to work with their reps and keep calm with them when explaining the situation and the frustration you have as a customer that Ford cannot provide parts to fix the truck. I did this with my 5th gen ranger when it sat waiting at the dealer for a replacement rear window (leak) for nearly 2.5 months. Got 2 months worth of truck notes back and Premium Care coverage to 8 years 75K miles for free.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
So it appears that it took 2 weeks for the average citizen to order "the tubes" and get a shipping confirmation. (Fairway Ford)

I have 2 sets on the way.
So once they arrive, they are an inventory buffer for anyone who confirms that the tubes are the leak-culprit on their truck and their dealership states that they have no quick access and want to hold the truck indefinitely. (this shouldn't happen if your dealership is on the ball, if you know what I mean)

Keep in mind that not all leaks are the same, as this thread has well documented. :)

Honestly, if I had a Powerboost, I'd have a set of these in the toolbox.

Ford F-150 Powerboost CEL P237C/Exhaust Heat Exchanger Leak Megathread Screenshot_20230315_105527_Email

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So it appears that it took 2 weeks for the average citizen to order "the tubes" and get a shipping confirmation. (Fairway Ford)

So once they arrive, they are an inventory buffer for anyone who confirms that the tubes are the leak-culprit on their truck and their dealership states that they have no quick access and want to hold the truck indefinitely. (this shouldn't happen if your dealership is on the ball, if you know what I mean)

Keep in mind that not all leaks are the same, as this thread has well documented. :)

Screenshot_20230315_105527_Email.jpg
So by that it should take Ford 6 weeks to deliver to the dealers..

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost

What are these?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are these?
Within this long and distinguished thread is the history of the Powerboost Exhaust Heat Exchanger leak.

The earliest victims experienced the combined "we have never seen this before" dealership response, and the unimaginable supply chain restraint of NO replacement exhaust heat exchanger available.

Some dealerships grounded the Powerboost and the owner would be without their vehicle for MONTHS.
Others were allowed to use their trucks and would add new coolant at the rate of the leak, until the replacement part arrived.

As the problem became better understood by Ford, they were able to shorten the delivery time. At times it would narrow to a few weeks, and for the very fortunate, just days.

Eventually Ford released documentation to the dealerships to NOT replace the complete assembly (exhaust heat exchanger and midpipe. ~$900) but rather just the plastic coolant hose couplers (tubes). I suspect before this documentation was released, these plastic tube/couplers weren't even available as a stand alone part?

Anyways, THAT is what these are that I ordered. And the intent is for me to have them available if my truck does spring a leak. I will HAVE them.

And of course if someone here finds their truck grounded for potential weeks, they can certainly get a set from me to rescue their truck.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist

Great idea- I just did the same, maybe we can have a small inventory when these come in so folks don't have these ridiculous waits.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great idea- I just did the same, maybe we can have a small inventory when these come in so folks don't have these ridiculous waits.
Exactly!
Thanks for participating.
If just 2 or 3 fellas have these on hand, we have each other covered regardless.

Thanks.

Sponsored

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Exactly!
If just 2 or 3 fellas have these on hand, we have each other covered regardless.

Thanks.
LOL- it was your good idea- I'm just piggybackin'.....I ordered from Tasca- it will be interesting to see what the lead time is on these.

Joe_Lee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 PB FX4
Does a set for the exchanger consist of "2"? I'm not near my truck to look under it.

I'll order a couple of sets to have on hand as well.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Within this long and distinguished thread is the history of the Powerboost Exhaust Heat Exchanger leak.

The earliest victims experienced the combined "we have never seen this before" dealership response, and the unimaginable supply chain restraint of NO replacement exhaust heat exchanger available.

Some dealerships grounded the Powerboost and the owner would be without their vehicle for MONTHS.
Others were allowed to use their trucks and would add new coolant at the rate of the leak, until the replacement part arrived.

As the problem became better understood by Ford, they were able to shorten the delivery time. At times it would narrow to a few weeks, and for the very fortunate, just days.

Eventually Ford released documentation to the dealerships to NOT replace the complete assembly (exhaust heat exchanger and midpipe. ~$900) but rather just the plastic coolant hose couplers (tubes). I suspect before this documentation was released, these plastic tube/couplers weren't even available as a stand alone part?

Anyways, THAT is what these are that I ordered. And the intent is for me to have them available if my truck does spring a leak. I will HAVE them.

And of course if someone here finds their truck grounded for potential weeks, they can certainly get a set from me to rescue their truck.
Interesting. I just had the heat exchanger replaced for the second time. The first was due to the infamous leak, the second due to a stuck valve.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. I just had the heat exchanger replaced for the second time. The first was due to the infamous leak, the second due to a stuck valve.
That's evidence that this thread includes vehicles with exhaust heat exchanger issues, but not always exactly the same faulty component.

The leak though is the most common.
That valve is yet another component of the that assembly. I wonder if it now has its own individual part number?

Eventually we may no longer have to purchase the whole exhaust mid-pipe when experiencing an exhaust heat exchanger malfunction.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Exactly!

Thanks.
FYI - This is a great idea and I also ordered 4 tubes. I ordered from Village Ford Parts and actually paid a couple bucks less than Snake. :)

I just got an order confirmation but not delivery info yet.

If the story of my life holds true I will never need these now that I bought them. Money well spent.
Sponsored