PowerBoost - Battery tender questions

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Is the auxiliary 12V battery an AGM battery? If yes, then when we hook up a battery tender to the main battery, should I use the AGM or the Standard battery charge profile?

What's a good point to attach the negative eyelet to? I understand that attaching the tender directly to the battery terminals may cause problems.
Sponsored

DanielG

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat
I think they both are AGM but that would be a Ford and/or dealership question.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Is the auxiliary 12V battery an AGM battery? If yes, then when we hook up a battery tender to the main battery, should I use the AGM or the Standard battery charge profile?

What's a good point to attach the negative eyelet to? I understand that attaching the tender directly to the battery terminals may cause problems.
For what it's worth the battery is an AGM battery, I hooked up mine to the terminals to maintain and left it on there for a week or so and so far no problems.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a

Both the starter and aux batteries are AGM. Just different sizes.

It’s ok to hook the positive alligator to the starting battery’s positive terminal. For the negative, the nut right on top of the BMS sensor works well for me.

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect

It’s ok to hook the positive alligator to the starting battery’s positive terminal. For the negative, the nut right on top of the BMS sensor works well for me.
Thank you.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
For what it's worth the battery is an AGM battery, I hooked up mine to the terminals to maintain and left it on there for a week or so and so far no problems.
You might want to move the negative to another location. The shop manual recommends not using the negative terminal for charging because it can interfere with the BMS and cause it to put the truck into deep sleep.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A

While it didn't do that to mine I'd like to not have it happen. Do you have a picture of the BMS sensor?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
While it didn't do that to mine I'd like to not have it happen. Do you have a picture of the BMS sensor?
No, but you can’t miss it. It’s attached on one end to the negative terminal. A cable running to the chassis is attached to the other end.

EDIT: Not a photo, but this is a drawing of the BMS from the shop manual. The nut in yellow (not in purple) is what I use for a ground.
Ford F-150 PowerBoost - Battery tender questions 7A2484BD-C048-4281-81E8-FEB1DA3044CC

Last edited:
OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
You might want to move the negative to another location. The shop manual recommends not using the negative terminal for charging because it can interfere with the BMS and cause it to put the truck into deep sleep.
So connecting -ve anywhere on the body should be fine then?

OP
OP
thudnblunder

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I don't have the truck yet, but on my sedan there was this loop on the engine used when hoisting the engine up that worked great. No paint to mess with.
Sponsored