DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
Good afternoon,

Going into my second winter with the Powerboost and I get to thinking,

Can the battery slowly degrade and not be as effective anymore over time
- Ultimately Leading to an additional 500+ pounds of useless electrical components strapped to a 3.5 Ecoboost Motor -
I forget how poorly the EV range performs under lower temps - this morning it barely kicked it on the drive to the office.
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
All batteries degrade over time. Nothing can change that.

Ford does have a fairly decent warranty on it. For the US it's 8 years or 100K miles. The replacement pack currently is only about 2,300. USD and takes several hours to replace since you have to drop the fuel tank to do it.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
Ford is also very conservative on how much they charge (how full) and how far they will deplete the battery. All for longevity of the battery.

OP
OP
DEWAI

DEWAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT FX4 POWERBOOST
This is true, at the same time, in Warmer months I am almost 40 percent battery hybrid on a trip - so there's that.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The typical charge level for the hybrid pack is 40-70% of total capacity.

Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
We warranty lithium iron phosphate batteries for 10 years heavy service.

that being said, i am not sure if Ford uses the same chemistry or something a bit more volatile for automotive

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Good afternoon,

Going into my second winter with the Powerboost and I get to thinking,

Can the battery slowly degrade and not be as effective anymore over time
- Ultimately Leading to an additional 500+ pounds of useless electrical components strapped to a 3.5 Ecoboost Motor -
I forget how poorly the EV range performs under lower temps - this morning it barely kicked it on the drive to the office.
may not be the battery system. Normal operation is for the internal combustion engine to run until reaching minimum operating temperatures. If your commute is short, weather cold, and no pre warming of truck (remote start) you may not reach appropriate temps for ICE to shutoff and switch to full electric. You can change to “powerflow” view and the system will tell you why ICE is running.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
may not be the battery system. Normal operation is for the internal combustion engine to run until reaching minimum operating temperatures. If your commute is short, weather cold, and no pre warming of truck (remote start) you may not reach appropriate temps for ICE to shutoff and switch to full electric. You can change to “powerflow” view and the system will tell you why ICE is running.
And one of the reasons ICE is running is to make hot water because the HVAC system needs to heat the cab. I have found that I get a lot more electric mode driving by turning the HVAC system off and turning on the heated steering wheel and seat heaters...... They get warm a lot faster anyway.

I was surprised how comfortable I was on a cold morning with just heated wheel and seats... just don't touch the radio/cruise buttons on the steering wheel.. they are C-O-L-D!

Give it a try.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Battery lifetime is, in part, determined by the purity of its components. The higher the specified purity the higher the cost. Ford was embarrassed with the Escape Hybrid Traction Batteries. They stocked up on replacement batteries in anticipation of failures. They did not see anywhere near the failure rate expected... I believe because a very high degree of purity was specified. I have a 2006 Escape Hybrid bought new and its battery is still going strong... So we'll see what Ford did with these PowerBoost batteries...

Last edited:

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
I wouldn’t even remotely worry about it. I’m saying that after having 3 other fords that were hybrids 2 that were bought new driven over 160k in Michigan around 7 yrs or so and the mileage was rock solid. Never went down so it tells me the battery must have been doing ok. And both of those one a fusion and the other was a cmax and they had no active cooling or heating.

Sponsored

mbouck3

First Name
matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda clarity, 2005titan 2022f150 powerboost
Occupation
just retired
We warranty lithium iron phosphate batteries for 10 years heavy service.

that being said, i am not sure if Ford uses the same chemistry or something a bit more volatile for automotive
I believe its a iron phosphate which are not very reactive or hydrogen producing but you probably knew that

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I believe its a iron phosphate which are not very reactive or hydrogen producing but you probably knew that
Yeah it all depends on the application, along those lines the stuff we make we need to limit the hydrogen generation for enclosed spaces.

But trucks probably just vent it out to the atmosphere :cool:

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
There are many hybrids that have been in use for many years. My 2007 Prius was working perfectly when I sold it earlier this year. Most lithium batteries have a life of more than 10,000 chage cycles which would mean at least 27 years.

Blueonblue

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Powerboost
Occupation
IT Contractor
You also have to take note that these hybrids have almost perfect battery management. It's not like a Tesla where you can drive the snot out of it the day before. Then charge all the way to 100% at your house. The hybrid battery is perfectly managed at all times. Voltage gets too low. The gas engine kicks on charges it immediately with DC current. Gets too high gas engine kicks off and drains it. There are 10-year-old Priuses on the road with their original batteries.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
This is true, at the same time, in Warmer months I am almost 40 percent battery hybrid on a trip - so there's that.
I know this post is pretty old, but 40% battery only? Are you going downhill on this "trip"? Any reasonable amount of acceleration input turns on the engine. Yes I can coast/maintain even in the 50mph range, but unless I'm accelerating carefully and ever so gently the engine kicks in. I don't mind because maximizing mpg wasn't the driving factor in my purchase. It was a factor for sure.
Sponsored