Sponsored

Powerboost - Any Long Term Undriven Tips

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
When I finally get my PB 2022 this truck will be mostly be used as a pleasure vehicle. Not my daily driver but I seldom drive every day anyway. It may sit for a couple of weeks at a time.

Any experience out there of things I can/should do to help maintain the truck. I want to make sure it ready for OTA updates if they are available and just generally want to do what is needed to keep the hybrid in top shape.

Any incite or tips now that the truck has been out for a couple of years, will be appreciated.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I kept my Battery Tender hooked up to the engine compartment battery during the covid shut down and made sure the tires were at 40 psi. That's it.

Bunker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F 150 Powerboost Lariat
I keep mine at a storage unit. Sea foam or buy ethanol free gas. I start it every 2 weeks. Once a month I take it for a 15 mile or so drive. Once a quarter I put all my cars on a battery charger. Tire pressure gets adjusted as needed.

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Mine goes to sleep every 2 weeks, so remotely start it when you can, but only 2 times...

Sponsored

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
so question from the post above...

It says to store with the hybrid battery at 50%. How is this accomplished? I didn't think there was a gauge, and you can't force it to electric only. Maybe using the generator?

I don't have the truck yet so can't experiment.

BLWNBYU

First Name
MATT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 502A PowerBoost 22 Camry AWD XSE 97 Cobra
Occupation
INSPECTOR
Subbing. My truck will sit for Months at a time with no one to drive it.

FTMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Titan
Will running the truck in generator mode charge the hybrid battery and see what it's precent of charge is?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Will running the truck in generator mode charge the hybrid battery and see what it's precent of charge is?
I'm not exactly clear what the question is. The truck must be in "ready" mode (started) to turn generator mode on. Accessory mode will not allow generator mode.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I'm not exactly clear what the question is. The truck must be in "ready" mode (started) to turn generator mode on. Accessory mode will not allow generator mode.
I believe that he’s trying to find a way to learn the vehicle’s state of charge (SOC), so that he can follow the owner’s manual instructions of keeping the battery at approximately 50% charge.

@FTMS: As far as I know, the generator mode will not display SOC; that information is only possible to learn using special equipment that most owners won’t have.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
SOC is a PID available from multiple apps using an OBD adapter.

I monitor several of the PIDs related to the Hybrid portion of the drivetrain on the Powerboost. The two most revealing is the rate of charge/discharge of the battery (measured in Amps) and the SOC of the battery itself.

Looks like this using an OBDLink MX+ adapter and their accompanying app.

Ford F-150 Powerboost - Any Long Term Undriven Tips 20221125_225109

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
@Snakebitten : I think he was adding to my comment. Just doesn't make a lot of sense for the manual to specify that it should be stored at 50% when there is no built-in gauge and I'm also not sure how you get to the desired 50% if you don't really have control of the charging... or maybe I'm just missing something.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good point. How would we know?
(I don't think you are missing anything)

I believe the manual also suggests disconnecting the 12V battery?

But one way to make sure you are at 50% or above is to not shut the truck down until you are parked and waiting until the ICE comes on and then shuts off. At that point you would certainly not be BELOW 50% SOC

FTMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Titan
When I get my truck it will sit a lot. I only put on about 5000 miles a year. It will have a battery tender when sitting. Just trying to figure out what to do for winter storage also. Since I don't drive much, I hang on to trucks for a while. I don't want to kill these batteries from not doing something simple.
Sponsored