Sponsored

Slappy McGee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Just wanted to add to the chorus of folks saying this thread is super helpful. My F-150 PB is my first truck, and part of my multi-phase master plan to get a trailer one of these days. I've talked the wife into renting one and going camping with the 3 kids (previously we were always tent camping/backpacking/bike packing) so hopefully that is the start of something grand, and this thread answered a lot of general towing questions and specifics on the PB.
Sponsored

Wild Pig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 PowerBoost Sport
Been lurking this thread for info also as the OP is doing almost exactly what we plan to do, even the Grand Design trailer (except we're hunting an MKE).

Hopefully I can add to the knowledge base soon.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Been lurking this thread for info also as the OP is doing almost exactly what we plan to do, even the Grand Design trailer (except we're hunting an MKE).

Hopefully I can add to the knowledge base soon.
Oh that little MKE will be nothing for this truck! But it has probably the best layout I've seen in a TT that size with all the counter space and living space (with bed folded up). We just watched basically a whole season of some young youtubers with the MKE going across the country and they towed it with a Jeep Wrangler!

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Oh that little MKE will be nothing for this truck! But it has probably the best layout I've seen in a TT that size with all the counter space and living space (with bed folded up). We just watched basically a whole season of some young youtubers with the MKE going across the country and they towed it with a Jeep Wrangler!
I've watched a couple of their videos too.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I've watched a couple of their videos too.
You mean "crosby grace travels"? I was subscribed but now she seems to have moved on to other things and I lost interest. I just liked seeing how they used their imagine and found inexpensive cool places to boondock and camp.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
You mean "crosby grace travels"? I was subscribed but now she seems to have moved on to other things and I lost interest. I just liked seeing how they used their imagine and found inexpensive cool places to boondock and camp.
Had to go back to my history to confirm... yeah, I watched just two of theirs. The first week full time and the Texas one after that. Lost interest after that.

Tdhunt631

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
I also have the 2.4kw and am wondering the same. I have a smaller TT with a single a/c, hoping it can at least power everything minus the a/c (powering the a/c would be a great bonus)
I can confirm that the 2.4kw pro power was able to start up and run the Coleman 15kBTU a/c on my trailer. I watched the wattage gauge on the display while my wife turned on the a/c, and didn't see any spikes above the 1800 running watts. I then kicked on my fridge and it bumped up to about 2200w. Both ran great for about 20 minutes and I called the experiment a success.

Either the Coleman 15k has some sort of easy start setup from the factory, or the 2.4kw pro power can produce more starting watts. Either way, I'm happy with the results!

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
On my way from Hesperus Colorado to Walcott Iowa to pick up my new Catalina 28THS with my bad mammer jammer F-150, Power Boost. Thanks for all the input from members on this forum for sharing information and experiences, I will most certainly use this to my advantage. Can’t wait to meet some of you out on the trail as you all seem to be my kinda people. Keep on makin memories folks.
PS. Try to keep track of that little plastic plunger do hickey at every fuel stop. Don’t leave it lay on the ground if ya knock it off with the fuel nozzle.??

JasonG03

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Sales
I have an 6AWG extension cord between my truck and my 3000QB trailer. I keep getting ground fault errors. Any recommendations where to start trying to trouble shoot it? The extension cord is home made and acts as the 30A to 50A adapter.
I had a ground fault on mine it was a wiring issue on my RV it was the hot water tank wiring I have read reports of people having hot water tanks that the element was burnt out due to leaving them on when empty and that can cause a grounding issue as well it is most likely not your truck and what it is powered to remember most generators do not have GFI so they will put power to your RV regardless whereas the truck is more particular.

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
On second thought, I opened up the power box.

It has a very conventional 220 Volt plug with screw terminals, and lots of open space. Simple s
418B14A1-4978-4D4B-91E7-E62313535C8F.jpeg
1E09985B-F76B-41F8-9F34-FA3D391DF1BB.jpeg
olution may be a pigtail piggy backed on the screw terminals, exiting bottom of the box cover with a waterproof seal, and terminating with a 30 amp RV plug under the bumper.
So, I have thought about this a lot!

Here is what I decided to do. I got some 10/3 with ground wire and both male and female connectors.

The flat wire works great with my Diamondback cover. I used enough wire to come out and under the truck. I'll strap it there to be out of the weather when I need to use it.
Ford F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results IMG_20210822_183604320
Ford F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results IMG_20210822_183648164_HDR
Ford F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results IMG_20210822_183640862~2

Sponsored

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Is there enough interest among the RV enthusiast to ask Ford to update the software that would allow us to start the truck, then generator utilizing the Ford Pass app.? On Cold winter mornings it would be a pain to have to go out and start Truck then Generator for that first cup of coffee.?

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Re: Michael'sd suggestion just above - asking Ford to add to the FordPass functionality WRT ProPower start-up - one good time to do that is during one of their streaming video sessions. During the session there is a facilitator that generates text replies to streaming posts from the viewers, which might also produce some replies to Q's about FordPass. (FYI at the last session the facilitator replied to one Q that Blue Cruise was still on track to be deployed during Q3...so the trial period that some owners have been invited to participate in isn't apparently going to be that long). The next streaming session by Ford is scheduled for 9/9 at 1 p.m. PDT; you can find it on your FordPass app.

Lane Centering + Towing: I've seen and heard a mix of comments about using lane centering while towing, most of them negative. Apparently, LC steering corrections can induce trailer sway in some rigs. And of course there are lots of variables: TV hitch choice, TT weight and length, road & weather conditions, etc. FWIW I've so far found LC works reliably with my set up for speeds at or below 60 mph. I tow a 24' 5500# Lance two-axle trailer using a light Andersen WD hitch. We've got a travel loop coming up in two weeks - up the western side of the Rockies to MT and down the eastern side back to AZ - and I'm very interested to see how much LC will ease the driving while towing as 60 mph is typically the speed we most often tow at.

Jack

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer