Sponsored

Mrtosh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Starting a thread but will put some various aspects as individual posts instead of one giant one, to make quote replies easier.

20210327_123228.jpg

I have a KR Powerboost FX4, and a Grand Design Imagine 2800BH. I use a Reese Steadi Flex weight distribution hitch.
Excellent post! I've been waiting patiently for a write-up from you on this! My question is was it warm enough for the AC compressors to fire up as well, or was it only using the fans?
Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Excellent post - and glad everything worked out for you. Camping / towing all made easier for you.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Excellent post! I've been waiting patiently for a write-up from you on this! My question is was it warm enough for the AC compressors to fire up as well, or was it only using the fans?
Glad if anyone finds it useful!

Yes, compressors fired up. Fan-only mode was only a few hundred watts but I didn't record it.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Can you post model of the split Dog Bone you are using? I assume its a split to 2 - 120V 30A. I might need one if ever to power friends trailers. Thanks. Also awesome original post. Hope to get my Lariat PB in 6 to 8 weeks.
I bought a single not thinking about the sharing scenario. One of our kids has a travel trailer, too...I might have to get the dual one as well.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
7.2kW Propower with 50A service....

20210327_164502.jpg
...when Hooked up to our Airstream...

F9C22009-0138-4BDE-A570-EF4E169C16C7.jpeg
Hey guys! Quick question, looking at your trucks plugged into the campers, one thing strikes me is that you have to leave open either the tailgate or tonneau cover for access. I'm concerned about doing something like that if I'm overnighting in a Walmart parking lot without being able to lock up the bed. Have you found any work around for this that would allow you to keep the bed locked? I know if I put a Retrax cover on I could lock it in any position but I don't want to take up space with the canister for a Retrax so I'm going for a Bak Revolver X4s tonneau cover. Not sure how I'd lock things up with a cover like that if I need to leave space for the cord to get to the outlet on the Propower... thoughts? Great posts by the way!!

Sponsored

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
Hey guys! Quick question, looking at your trucks plugged into the campers, one thing strikes me is that you have to leave open either the tailgate or tonneau cover for access. I'm concerned about doing something like that if I'm overnighting in a Walmart parking lot without being able to lock up the bed. Have you found any work around for this that would allow you to keep the bed locked? I know if I put a Retrax cover on I could lock it in any position but I don't want to take up space with the canister for a Retrax so I'm going for a Bak Revolver X4s tonneau cover. Not sure how I'd lock things up with a cover like that if I need to leave space for the cord to get to the outlet on the Propower... thoughts? Great posts by the way!!
Not sure what I would do other than leave my window shades open to see the bed of my truck. If I’m in generator mode and someone approaches do the lights turn on...should be a decent deterrent.

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Hmm. I hadn't really thought about it. In my situation, I have to use and extension so if some prankster wanted to unplug me, they could undo it at the extension coupling, not matter how secure my truck bed was. I assume you are concerned about valuables in the truck bed?

Off the top of my head, only thing I can think of to not ruin a tonneau or bed integrity is this. Maybe take a 6 foot extender cord for the nema L14-30 plug, and feed it through the drain tube hole at the front of the bed. You'll have to take off the cord's receptacle plug to feed it through, then re-assemble the cord. It should be able to dangle there safely or can be secured somehow. Then when you want to use propower and lock the bed, plug in the 6ft jumper cord, and then plug the trailer into the receptacle under the front of the box? The cord will kinda always be there but can be cable tied under the bed rail I would think. Just spitballing ideas here....

laujoyjoy

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I have a trifold tonneau cover, I adjusted my latch so that I can leave enough gap to route the camper cable into my bed. Essentially my bed is "secured". If someone really want to steal anything from your bed, they can always pry or slash open your cover anyway.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Having just put a bedrug in, I had to remove the propower panel to fit the carpet. It's one bundle going into the back of the panel, so it seems unreasonable to modify it from behind and have a dogbone into the fender. There is plenty of room in that fender area though. If you really wanted to, I would probably cut in and mount some sort of access door to run an adapter through. Rather than going all the way through the front drain panel as there's very limited access between the cab and bed, and needing an extra 12ft+ of cable to do it.

If someone would open up their pro power plastic box, we could maybe figure out a way to tap off the back, drill and hole and seal a cable out of it.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Having just put a bedrug in, I had to remove the propower panel to fit the carpet. It's one bundle going into the back of the panel, so it seems unreasonable to modify it from behind and have a dogbone into the fender. There is plenty of room in that fender area though. If you really wanted to, I would probably cut in and mount some sort of access door to run an adapter through. Rather than going all the way through the front drain panel as there's very limited access between the cab and bed, and needing an extra 12ft+ of cable to do it.

If someone would open up their pro power plastic box, we could maybe figure out a way to tap off the back, drill and hole and seal a cable out of it.
Hmm. I hadn't really thought about it. In my situation, I have to use and extension so if some prankster wanted to unplug me, they could undo it at the extension coupling, not matter how secure my truck bed was. I assume you are concerned about valuables in the truck bed?

Off the top of my head, only thing I can think of to not ruin a tonneau or bed integrity is this. Maybe take a 6 foot extender cord for the nema L14-30 plug, and feed it through the drain tube hole at the front of the bed. You'll have to take off the cord's receptacle plug to feed it through, then re-assemble the cord. It should be able to dangle there safely or can be secured somehow. Then when you want to use propower and lock the bed, plug in the 6ft jumper cord, and then plug the trailer into the receptacle under the front of the box? The cord will kinda always be there but can be cable tied under the bed rail I would think. Just spitballing ideas here....
Hmmm... some interesting ideas. Time to fiddle!

Sponsored

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I have a trifold tonneau cover, I adjusted my latch so that I can leave enough gap to route the camper cable into my bed. Essentially my bed is "secured". If someone really want to steal anything from your bed, they can always pry or slash open your cover anyway.
So true, just trying to keep the kids with sticky fingers walking by while you're out hiking at your boondocks spot or in a Cabela's/Walmart parking lot from walking away with stuff.

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum

My thought would be to modify a panel in the tonneau cover an add a pass through - maybe something like an aftermarket locking gas door. It could then be locked until you route the cable through. The trick would be to not access to the tonneau lock mechanism.

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
My thought would be to modify a panel in the tonneau cover an add a pass through - maybe something like an aftermarket locking gas door. It could then be locked until you route the cable through. The trick would be to not access to the tonneau lock mechanism.
That's a nice idea. Someone needs to source a product to do this.

Bearii

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Another good idea. I have a Bak Revolver X4s on order. Debating that choice, doubt it will give me an option like that. I'm even debating going to a bed cap instead of a tonneau cover now. It would be easy to implement. your suggestion on one of those.

MnTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch Powerboost

I pulled my ProPower box out of the truck bed while installing a BedRug today. The box has an orange high voltage cable and a smaller black signal cable.
Ford F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results B54FC23E-AFEA-41BC-A9A2-DA9D032EC93A
looking up from under the truck, the Orange cable has standard red, green, black, and white wires for 220 volt supplies.
Ford F-150 Powerboost 7.2kW Towing Travel Trailer - First hookup and test results 405E78D5-D404-4018-87F2-FF291D4025A0
Perhaps a waterproof marine junction box could be located in this space to tap the orange power feed with a 30 amp RV plug. This is under the truck and aft of the wheel well, a very short pigtail could locate the plug at the bumper. Qualified Electricians only!
Sponsored