First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Hummm, you know, that seems like that should work in a pinch. Just throw the main breaker coming into the house and shut off everything you don't want to power up. The house ground may throw the truck cut off though. Guess that could just be undone for a temporary fix.
That's precisely the point....in a pinch, if done right, it can work. And you're limited to what a single 30 amp breaker in your house can handle anyway, which is, surprise surprise....7.2kW. So.... kill you main house utility breaker.... turn off/unplug EVERYTHING you can be without, plug in truck and likely get by running a couple of key lights, your fridge, etc.
Sponsored

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
I ran my power boost generator for 74 continuous hours. Filled the truck up today 15.08 gallons. I have nothing but great things to say about mine.
What kind of wattage were you pulling? Thats great numbers!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
That's precisely the point....in a pinch, if done right, it can work. And you're limited to what a single 30 amp breaker in your house can handle anyway, which is, surprise surprise....7.2kW. So.... kill you main house utility breaker.... turn off/unplug EVERYTHING you can be without, plug in truck and likely get by running a couple of key lights, your fridge, etc.
I now have LEDs in my whole house, the HVAC and the clothes dryer would probably be the only things I need to turn off and would be fine. My hot water heater is a hybrid too, so it doesn't draw as much power as the old heating element type.

There is still that issue with the breaker ground I will have to research some.

I would think you could just wire a 30 amp 220 breaker and pull it to a 220 volt plug out from it, mount it by the breaker box. Use that to connect to the truck 220/30 amp side. You just have to remember to kill the power from the line in on the breaker box.

I like it (y)

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I now have LEDs in my whole house, the HVAC and the clothes dryer would probably be the only things I need to turn off and would be fine. My hot water heater is a hybrid too, so it doesn't draw as much power as the old heating element type.

There is still that issue with the breaker ground I will have to research some.

I would think you could just wire a 30 amp 220 breaker and pull it to a 220 volt plug out from it, mount it by the breaker box. Use that to connect to the truck 220/30 amp side. You just have to remember to kill the power from the line in on the breaker box.

I like it (y)
Exactly. My dryer and stove are gas. All my bulbs are LED. I need one TV and internet stuff, <150w combined. My tankless water heater is gas. This should be plenty for all basic necessities.

Having said that, I have a 25kW whole home generator, but my point is it COULD work in a pinch easily.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Exactly. My dryer and stove are gas. All my bulbs are LED. I need one TV and internet stuff, <150w combined. My tankless water heater is gas. This should be plenty for all basic necessities.

Having said that, I have a 25kW whole home generator, but my point is it COULD work in a pinch easily.
I will probably still look for a reasonable connector and have it installed but if I need to help someone out or if it happens before I can complete this, it's an option.

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I will probably still look for a reasonable connector and have it installed but if I need to help someone out or if it happens before I can complete this, it's an option.
Yep. My use case is my parents’ house a few miles away. I can just drive my car there and leave it for them and use this method in a pinch.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Wow that's a lot of coffee :)
Haha I never realized how power hungry a single-cup keurig coffee maker was until our 15A GFCI in the trailer would trip if we tried to make coffee while running the space heater. Have to turn off heat, make the cup, turn heat back on.

OP
OP
Just Me

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
One year later and we get hit with another Texas ice storm. Not as bad but I know the drill if the power goes out.

Sponsored

Cobraman428

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PB 701A MT FX4
Occupation
VP of IT

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
I live in Florida, so I'm planning on using this:
25 Feet Heavy Duty Generator Adapter Extension Cord,Generator Locking Cord,NEMA L14-30P to Four 5-20R, 4 Prong 10 Gauge Flat Generator Cable
Runs on both A & B sides. I don't want to wire in a transfer switch, but having this will extended 4 separate 120v outlets into my home if I ever need to use the truck's 7.2k generator after a storm.

Also planning on use it for camping after I get my TT.
1661454067120.png
Something like this would probably be a good idea for me to buy as I contemplate getting a more permanent solution. The 2-3 times I've lost power I would run multiple extension cords out to the truck. This would allow me to run this one to the garage, then branch out from there for the time being. It wouldn't be a bad cable to leave in the truck as well.

Thanks for the idea!
Sponsored