Sponsored

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now
A little south Texas 10-20 degree cold front took out the power for 3 days so I had a chance to try out the generator on my truck. I haven’t put in a switch to my house power panel yet so I just used a few extension cords. Ran power to some lights, coffee pot, 75” Tv, toaster oven, space heater and refrigerator. I ran it for about 10-12 hours per day to keep the freezer food frozen. I guess that’s not much load because it only used a few gallons of gas over that time. I am more than pleased on what it did for me.

Easy to use, just turn it on and forget it. I had to reset the 2 breakers in the truck bed to start since they were tripped by the salesman when he gave me the initial tour. Took the keys with me and locked my door. It started and stopped the engine occasionally. Cell service was out also so I didn’t get a chance to try the Ford Pass App. Much quieter than the neighbors generator and I didn’t have to refill it in the cold every 8 hours. No filling stations open so he was in the dark after his two 5 gallon cans ran out.

Ease of use: Check
Plenty of power for my needs: Check
Quiet service: Check
Glad I have: Check

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021 F-150 7.2kw onboard generator texas power outage 1
Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021 F-150 7.2kw onboard generator texas power outage 2
Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021 F-150 7.2kw onboard generator texas power outage 3
Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021 F-150 7.2kw onboard generator coffee maker 1
Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021 F-150 7.2kw onboard generator powering appliances

UPDATE: Reposted by Detroit Free Press and Retweeted by Jim Farley!

Texas man uses new 2021 Ford F-150 to heat home, power appliances during blackout

Texans trapped without electricity for days in their homes have suffered without heat or lights or the ability to run refrigerators or stoves despite freezing temperatures.

But Randy Jones, 66, a retired refinery worker from the town of Katy outside Houston and the owner of a 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid truck with Pro Power onboard, generated envy on social media after posting images of how he's using his pickup to power his home and help neighbors during the blackout affecting millions in the Lone Star State.

"We were out from Sunday through Wednesday evening," he said early Thursday. "It's been miserably cold and frustrating to have loss of power for that many days."

The experience felt like a bad movie, something Jones said he couldn't really describe in words that would be printable in a family newspaper.

"You're living your life normally and all of a sudden you're thrust into the dark. I think it got around 9 degrees. It's been in mid-20s and low 30s. You don't expect that in south Texas. You don't expect to lose power when have nuclear, natural gas, wind and solar power," he said. "The truck gave us light at night, TV access to catch the news and weather. It helped give us a little bit of heat and a good pot of coffee."

He just bought his new F-150 the first week of February, replacing his 2015 F-150, which replaced his 2010 F-150.

"We have hurricanes down here more than freezes. We went through two hurricanes just a few months ago," Jones said. "I bought the truck specifically because of the generator for my own safety. I'm happy I bought it. Some of my neighbors are too, because they could charge their cell phones and iPads off my power supply."

His wife was away, visiting their son in Louisiana. They had power.

"It's just so unusual in this day and time to have a power outage for four days," Jones said. "You can't ever rule anything out. You always have to be prepared."

Jones took pictures and posted them on the f150gen14.com forum, saying, "2021 F-150 PowerBoost's 7.2kw Onboard Generator Saves the Day (3 days!) During Texas Power Outage.

He wrote earlier this week:

"A little south Texas 10-20 degree cold front took out the power for 3 days so I had a chance to try out the generator on my truck. I haven’t put in a switch to my house power panel yet so I just used a few extension cords. Ran power to some lights, coffee pot, 75” Tv, toaster oven, space heater and refrigerator. I ran it for about 10-12 hours per day to keep the freezer food frozen. I guess that’s not much load because it only used a few gallons of gas over that time. I am more than pleased on what it did for me.

Easy to use, just turn it on and forget it. I had to reset the 2 breakers in the truck bed to start since they were tripped by the salesman when he gave me the initial tour. Took the keys with me and locked my door. It started and stopped the engine occasionally. Cell service was out also so I didn’t get a chance to try the Ford Pass App. Much quieter than the neighbors generator and I didn’t have to refill it in the cold every 8 hours. No filling stations open so he was in the dark after his two 5 gallon cans ran out.

Ease of use: Check
Plenty of power for my needs: Check
Quiet service: Check
Glad I have: Check
Jones doesn't have a Twitter account but his images and experience were picked up and quickly shared by news consumers and fans of the F-150.

Ford CEO Jim Farley retweeted the image of the working truck and said, "The situation in the SW US is so difficult. Wish everyone in Texas had a new F150 with PowerBoost onboard generator...."

Dan Basile, 38, a cybersecurity analyst from Bryan, Texas, said Thursday he doesn't even have license plates on his new 2021 F-150 he purchased in January that he has used to heat his home during rolling blackouts in recent days.

He posted on the F-150 forum in response to Jones, "I have been doing the same thing! I figured I would use the 7.2 every now and then, but this sold it for me. Luckily the blower on the furnace only uses 400w. Been running for days with no issues. I only wish I could turn the screen on the dash off."

While his power was restored late Wednesday, Basile said he wasn't confident about how long it might last.

"I'm worried about aftereffects when we start finding broken pipes — there's no telling," he said.

Other forum comments from F-150 owners included:

• "I am doing the same thing in Texas. My power boost is running fridge lights cable modem router tv ... my power recliner coffee pot. It has been running constantly for 72 hours. It has used 1/4 tank of gas. Also am using extension cords as I haven’t wired my house yet. The Ford pass works great. This truck is amazing."
  • '"I find it easier to run power to it for a few hours a day. (going on day 4 now) It keeps everything frozen in the freezer and cool in the refrigerator section. With no power the temperature goes up and things defrost. No waste and no clean up.
  • "It might be a bit of a gimmick until you need it. While I didn't have a direct need for the 7.2KW option, I went for it. Glad it helped you out in a bad situation."
With the hybrid, the 2021 Ford F-150 comes standard with 2.4 KW that runs for 85 hours with a full tank of gas. Buyers often upgrade for $750 to a 7.2 KW system, which generates more power, and can run 32 hours at full load.

The gas-powered version has optional Pro Power with 2 KWfor $995.

The gas-powered 2021 F-150 starts at $28,940, including destination fees. The PowerBoost Hybrid is only available as a SuperCrew and starts at $43,485.

All F-150 pickups are built in Dearborn and Claycomo, Missouri.

While people throughout the Deep South are struggling to keep themselves and their families warm, a few F-Series owners are using their pickups to pull semi-trailers out of trouble during the snowpocalypse.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...orm-blackout-ford-f-150-generator/6797103002/
Sponsored

Last edited:

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum PowerBoost FX4
It might be a bit of a gimmick until you need it. While I didn't have a direct need for the 7.2KW option, I went for it. Glad it helped you out in a bad situation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Just Me

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7.2 kw was overkill for what I used but it was a good test run and a useful tool when I needed it.

Last edited:

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
I have been doing the same thing! I figured I would use the 7.2 every now and then, but this sold it for me. Luckily the blower on the furnace only uses 400w. Been running for days with no issues. I only wish I could turn the screen on the dash off.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage IMG_3388.JPEG

Last edited:

rikker

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Lariat Sport PB, 20 Escape Titanium Hybrid
Occupation
Distributor/Dirt Mover
I don't know why Ford can't ship all the PowerBoosts in Dearborn supposedly built that we are waiting for, to Kansas to run that plant to keep those lines going .

Blue Beast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra
Wow that's a lot of snow for south Texas, Crazy. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

jerryllah

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
RETIRED
I am doing the same thing in texas. My power boost is running fridge lights cable modem router tv dtv receiver my power recliner coffee pot. It has been running constantly for 72 hours. It has used 1/4 tank of gas. Also am using extension cords as I haven’t wired my house yet. The Ford pass works great. This truck is amazing.

Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
Considering installing a transfer switch on the house, you can plug the truck into multiple circuits in your house to keep the vital circuits powered up. I have one, but thankfully haven't had to use it yet. But with my powerboost I'll be ready.

Ford F-150 PowerBoost 7.2kw onboard generator saves the day (3 days) during Texas power outage 2021-02-17_20-42-25

dantheman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT powerboost
Considering installing a transfer switch on the house, you can plug the truck into multiple circuits in your house to keep the vital circuits powered up. I have one, but thankfully haven't had to use it yet. But with my powerboost I'll be ready.

2021-02-17_20-42-25.jpg
I will be making a few investments after this is all said and done. This is one of them.

OP
OP
Just Me

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why do you have to power the fridge when it climate change 3 degrees?
I find it easier to run power to it for a few hours a day.(going on day 4 now) It keeps everything frozen in the freezer and cool in the refrigerator section. With no power the temperature goes up and things defrost. No waste and no clean up.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
This is great! glad it worked out for you. I am going to be prepared to wire in an extension cord to my my gas furnace, perhaps put a small transfer switch in on it and a plug/pigtail. It will only pull 600 watts or so to run the gas furnace and could be a lifesaver. Then, I can plug in lamps and maybe even the water heater... very useful use case and is why I switched to the powerboost. I am in Indiana, and we have had it better than Texas, just because everything was designed around these storms, but you never know when you will lose power.

Stay Safe Texans.
Sponsored