Sponsored

Power-Up 2.3.0 OTA rolling out

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
As far as what I have seen it’s apim only. I’ll pull a truck that has received the update and confirm as soon as I can. I’m going off memory and the files looked to be all apim related. The only reason I say TCO is that was listed also in the update . I’ll look at the file download and confirm.
Much obliged.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Thanks for checking. I guess I’m screwed until they replace my TCU.
Sounds like a strange situation you have going.

Can you Pm your vin so I can take a look

Sponsored

PlatDrG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 4x4 PowerBoost
Was on the 2.1 thread and had issues with XM. Received 2.3 today and all seems fixed. (y)

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
FWIW a few quick changes I noticed:

1. Apple Maps in dash now shows more detailed turn by turn similar to Ford Nav. IE prior update just had an arrow with miles to next turn - now when it is approaching it gives road name and exact distance (300 feet 200 feet etc). Mine does have a bug where it shows 0.0 miles until it changes to feet - still useful though.

2. Radio icons/layout seem to have changed a bit. Nothing major but just appears to be a bit of a retool.

Also I haven’t gotten booted out of lane centering in a month which used to happen after about 30 to 60 minutes of driving. This started working better a bit before the 2.3 OTA though so might be unrelated. Around the same time road side recognition started working again so both those things seemed to have fixed themselves at once probably a week or two before the OTA no idea how/why

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
Just leaving dealer service department, APIM update failed there. As suspected. Will ask if they tried to update any other modules (TCU/Gateway) before trying.

Sponsored

MikeYQM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost | 2013 BMW M3 Comp
Went to the dealer, they couldn’t update. Even though I asked them to update the TCU, Gateway and APIM, they only tried the APIM.
Has anyone been able to update the APIM after Ford techs failed?

I’m suspecting that the updates might need to be done in a certain order or something.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
Went to the dealer, they couldn’t update. Even though I asked them to update the TCU, Gateway and APIM, they only tried the APIM.
Has anyone been able to update the APIM after Ford techs failed?

I’m suspecting that the updates might need to be done in a certain order or something.
There is a TSB out that instructs them to manually update GWM prior updating APIM.

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
I received 3 OTA updates in 1 week. I had no updates at all in 2021. I learned 2.3.0 was rolling out and was disappointed the ‘latest and greatest’ Ford pushed down was several months old upon install. That led me to tinker with Sync 4 more. It may be a coincidence, but the more I sent negative feedback to Ford about updates not working in Sync 4's embedded feedback menu, the more updates I received
Ford F-150 Power-Up 2.3.0 OTA rolling out smile

Results:

January 11, 2022 - OTA 1.4.0
January 14, 2022 - OTA 1.7.0
January 18, 2022 - OTA 2.1.0
February 01, 2022 - OTA 2.1.1

My Routine:
  1. Manually hard reboot the APIM twice after each successful install.
  2. Disable WiFi after uploading Sync 4 feedback since WiFi turns itself on and auto-connects.
  3. Reset the scheduled updates feature to occur within 2 hours every time I park overnight.
  4. Enable WiFi > Sync 4 > General Settings > Send Feedback > Software Update > Wireless Update Not Working > Submit > Wait > Disable Wifi
  5. Set Parking Brake on.
Reasoning:
  1. I reboot the APIM twice because the APIM usually needs to be hard reset over the network twice for new settings to take effect. It’s as though there’s a process that hangs in the APIM and some coin cell battery is keeping something alive that needs a few kicks before it will work.
  2. Maybe a necessary port on my home router is closed, so I remove WiFi from the guesswork and let the TCU do its job. A hotspot subscription is not required. For better or worse, the telematics module will download and handoff updates to the GWM on its own whether you want it to or not.
  3. The scheduled updates feature in Sync 4 frequently resets itself to 00:00 with no days of the week selected regardless of what the Ford Pass App shows. I schedule them daily to occur the next morning when I park for the night.
  4. {Sync 4 > General Settings > Send Feedback > Software Update > Wireless Update Not Working > Submit} is usually when I get a Power Up update. It will spam the Ford Pass app with notifications to make pre-scheduled service appointments. It may be a coincidence that I'd get invites to schedule Sync 4 service appointments in Ford Pass at the exact same time OTA updates magically download, but there's nothing to lose and it seems to bring me good luck.
  5. In the workshop manual there's an indication that a parking brake check and no current DTCs are parameters for OTA updates to successfully execute so I’ve been setting my parking brake on even if it’s just parked on a flat road.

Differences I've experienced:
  • OTA 1.7.0 The PowerGenerator UI Element changed according to the change log. I didn’t see the change take effect until I hard reset Sync 4 twice in consecutive order even though the System version indicated 21146 Rev 145 the entire time.
  • OTA 1.7.0 Sirius channel icons which wouldn't appear now load.
  • OTA 2.1.0 Resolved black boarder appearing around CarPlay
  • OTA 2.1.1 Allows cameras to be watched while driving after enabling other functions in the APIM and IMPA
Notes:
  • US vs Canada builds do not seem to be a factor for who gets which updates first at this time.
  • With 2.1.1 the gasoline engine in the PowerBoost would not shut off under any circumstance until the ignition was cycled. Sync 4 will not tell you an update is taking place in real time. Sync 4 will show an update finished checkmark upon full ignition reset. So if you drive around all afternoon like I did wondering why your new hybrid truck is no longer a hybrid, this can be the reason.
  • Sometimes when an update occurs the parking brake will self engage when parked.

Last edited:

Zeromarine

First Name
Cale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt 302a
I don’t know if this is just a fluke, but I’ve received 3 OTA updates in the last week lol. I had no updates at all in 2021. I learned 2.3.0 is rolling out from this thread. When the ‘latest and greatest’ Ford pushed to my VIN was already several months old upon install I was a little cranky, but it led me to tinker with the system more.

January 11, 2022 - OTA 1.4.0
January 14, 2022 - OTA 1.7.0
January 18, 2022 - OTA 2.1.0

What I’ve been doing is manually hard rebooting the APIM twice after each successful install and resetting the scheduled updates feature to occur within 1 hour every time I park overnight. In the workshop manual I read that the parking brake was a parameter for OTA updates to successfully execute so I’ve also been sure to set it on even if it’s just parked in my flat driveway.

I was going to change my APIM country code as previously mentioned from Canada to USA to see if it would influence updates, but I did not attempt that yet whereas these updates suddenly just started to finally all come down the pipe.

I reboot the APIM twice because when I first started using ForScan with this generation I noticed that the APIM had to be hard reset twice for new settings to take effect. It’s as though there’s a process that hangs in the APIM and it needs extra convincing to restart.

I noticed this same issue after OTA 1.7.0

The PowerGenerator UI Element changed according to the change log but I didn’t actually see the change take effect until I hard reset Sync 4 twice in consecutive order even though the System version indicated 21146 Rev 145 the entire time.

OTA 1.7.0 also resolved (for me) some Sirius channel icons not appearing.

My suggestion to everyone here is to hold power and seek forward to reboot your system twice after each update (and after using ForScan to make changes).

The changes I made were:
Disable WiFi in Sync 4. Maybe a necessary port on my home router was closed, so I just removed it from the guesswork. Let the TCU work its magic.

Got in the habbit of setting the parking brake on as indicated in the workshop manual.

Hard reboot Sync 4 frequently.

Schedule update checks to take effect 1 hour after parking for the night.
We’re you having issues with not being able to turn on updates etc like a lot of us ? And having the sync revision blanked out etc. thanks

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
We’re you having issues with not being able to turn on updates etc like a lot of us ? And having the sync revision blanked out etc. thanks
No. You may want to read the thread linked below. A few people have had faulty TCU’s straight from the factory.

https://www.f150forum.com/f129/wireless-app-projection-wont-enable-501424/index5/#post6946445

As for information not populating, I’ve accepted that missing UI elements is the default theme in Sync 4.

Ford F-150 Power-Up 2.3.0 OTA rolling out 079F90C8-D7CF-4D9D-9916-4DA4E0BBF6D0
Sponsored