OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah it seems like maybe due to chip shortages the ipma was cheaped out. Now they're trying to figure out with software to get it to work. They are trying to avoid a TSB to replace everyone's ipma physically....
Yeah. I also will repeat this is all theory on my end. I have nothing concrete .
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Probably not necessary now that another user posted but here is mine. It matches prior user.
3C870AD4-EDF2-4763-95C0-0D229D8956FE.jpeg
Thank you, It all helps

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010, 2014, 2017, 2021 F150
I have a 2021 PowerBoost bought in mid 2021. I finally received my first ever OTA update on January 7 2022…. And it’s Power-Up version 1.4.0 :mad:

I think Ford is intentionally screwing over Canadian owners because of separate transportation regulation approvals ect... I’m going to change the country codes in my APIM and GWM (if possible), schedule automatic updates for tomorrow and see what happens.

Can anyone who’s received OTA 2.3.0 confirm if they’re outside the United States?

Also, the workshop manual makes a reference to using FRDS to manually update Sync 4 with a USB drive (just like Sync 3). FRDS can supposedly download and compile the necessary install files onto a USB drive, but the link in the workshop manual is broken and there’s no clear instructions on how to do this.

Has anyone here figured out how to manually update Sync 4 system software with FRDS yet?

I would absolutely love to bypass this mysteriously-random and frustrating Ford OTA update nonsense and just do it myself.

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a 2021 PowerBoost bought in mid 2021. I finally received my first ever OTA update on January 7 2022…. And it’s Power-Up version 1.4.0 :mad:

I think Ford is intentionally screwing over Canadian owners because of separate transportation regulation approvals ect... I’m going to change the country codes in my APIM and GWM (if possible), schedule automatic updates for tomorrow and see what happens.

Can anyone who’s received OTA 2.3.0 confirm if they’re outside the United States?

Also, the workshop manual makes a reference to using FRDS to manually update Sync 4 with a USB drive (just like Sync 3). FRDS can supposedly download and compile the necessary install files onto a USB drive, but the link in the workshop manual is broken and there’s no clear instructions on how to do this.

Has anyone here figured out how to manually update Sync 4 system software with FRDS yet?

I would absolutely love to bypass this mysteriously-random and frustrating Ford OTA update nonsense and just do it myself.
Ive updated my truck, Iceman77 did also. I worked with him to do his updates manually. If you send me your vin I can send you all the OTA info for your truck and what has been attempted or failed.

The apim update has to be done in the truck it is for. You cant do like sync 3 and just use any update. The manifest is vin specific and there are other things it looks for that only the truck its done in has.

If you get the fdrs two day pass and the unit mentioned about you can do the apim update yourself. Also you can update all the modules that need to be updated. After the one person I talked to did what I suggested he recieved an update within days of completing those updates manually. The 1.4.0 update was a TCU update. 1.6.0 was gateway and 1.7.1 was the apim 21146 update. 2.1.0 was gateway 2.1.1 was gateway 2.3.0 is apim.

As of now the 21146 APIM update for JOb 1 trucks is available for manual install in fdrs. Its there in the software update tabs. It has to be completed through USB though. Sometimes it can take a while for the update to kick in and also have to make sure you dont pull the usb until you get a completed message.

Sponsored

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
You will need a J2534 pass-through interface that connects FDRS to your truck. I used the VXDIAG VCX Nano. Its a cheaper version of more expensive interface but gets the job done! You can read details how to set it up to work with FDRS here.

The APIM update process is rather easy. Connect your interface to your truck and laptop running FDRS, open FDRS, read VIN from vehicle. Once done, click on Toolbox tab. You should see all modules on your left hand side. Click on APIM (if its green), on the right-hand side you should see all options you can perform on this module. If there is update available, you should see it in this section. Once you initiate the APIM update, just follow the on-screen instructions, its pretty straight forward from there!

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It’s been a while since I last used any official Ford diag utilities. I used to have access to borrow a VCM II. On older versions there was/is a way to bypass VIN checks by attempting it multiple times with no network connection. After X number of timeouts it would prompt for manual VIN input (at least for the PCM). I’m not sure if that still applies in this situation.

For some reason I didn’t think the VCX Nano was J2534-2 compliant, but there’s so many clone devices out there I’ll have another look.

Just to clarify the manual process. Is FRDS required the whole way through?

I was optimistic we could cheat by timing out the VIN checks on your vehicle, use my VIN when it prompts for manual entry instead, download the files to local storage, then share them over a cloud service so I can upload them to my APIM via USB without the need to rent FRDS and buy VCM III clone.

(now waiting for Ford to mail me a C&D LOL).

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It’s been a while since I last used any official Ford diag utilities. I used to have access to borrow a VCM II. On older versions there was/is a way to bypass VIN checks by attempting it multiple times with no network connection. After X number of timeouts you could manually input any vin you feel like. I’m not sure if that still applies in this situation.

For some reason I didn’t think the VCX Nano was J2534-2 compliant, but there’s so many clone devices out there I’ll have another look.

I was optimistic we cheat by timing out the VIN checks on your vehicle, use my VIN when it prompts for manual entry instead, download the files to local storage, then share them over a cloud service so I can upload them to my APIM via USB without the need to rent FRDS and buy VCM III clone.

FDRS is only required until the USB is created. Once you have a USB you can drop FDRS. You do not need a scan tool or FDRS for the USB to kick off. iceaman77 used that tool sucesfullyy on his truck and things went very well. He updated many modules successfully using it. It also works with forscan so its a great option for those with a 21 becuase you can use it for everything rather than needing a couple different tools.

The vin check is the least of what has to be bypassed on these manifest.

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
It’s been a while since I last used any official Ford diag utilities. I used to have access to borrow a VCM II. On older versions there was/is a way to bypass VIN checks by attempting it multiple times with no network connection. After X number of timeouts it would prompt for manual VIN input (at least for the PCM). I’m not sure if that still applies in this situation.

I was optimistic we could cheat by timing out the VIN checks on your vehicle, use my VIN when it prompts for manual entry instead, download the files to local storage, then share them over a cloud service so I can upload them to my APIM via USB without the need to rent FRDS and buy VCM III clone.

FDRS offers an option for manual VIN entry:

Ford F-150 Power-Up 2.3.0 OTA rolling out 1642087245226

Never tried that option though...

Sponsored

Airborne_Ape

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll PM my VIN shortly.

The 2 day pass sounds like the best way to go considering I know my IPMA is also an old version. SSM 50217 says Ford intends to release a TRM (trailer brake module) update in March 2022.

If I go the FRDS route, I’ll hold off for a little while longer and then do everything at the same time.

I also need to learn how to use FRDS, I’ve only used IDS a few times and that was a few years ago. I’m guessing they’re similar.

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
FDRS is totally online based. Its way easier than IDS. I hate IDS method of module updates. In FDRS there is a tab that clearly shows updates available.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Anybody else have 2.3 update fail? Mine has been stuck in failure for 2 weeks.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
FDRS is totally online based. Its way easier than IDS. I hate IDS method of module updates. In FDRS there is a tab that clearly shows updates available.
Jesse: Have you confirmed whether 2.3.0 updates both the TCU and the APIM or just the APIM? I have a bad TCU. It will receive OTA updates for other modules and telemetry like traffic and weather but it won’t take new firmware for itself and frequently goes to sleep. A new one is on order, but it is heavily backordered with no ETA. I might be ok if 2.3.0 updates just the APIM. I’m probably out of luck for now if it also updates the TCU. Thanks.

OP
OP

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Jesse: Have you confirmed whether 2.3.0 updates both the TCU and the APIM or just the APIM? I have a bad TCU. It will receive OTA updates for other modules and telemetry like traffic and weather but it won’t take new firmware for itself and frequently goes to sleep. A new one is on order, but it is heavily backordered with no ETA. I might be ok if 2.3.0 updates just the APIM. I’m probably out of luck for now if it also updates the TCU. Thanks.
As far as what I have seen it’s apim only. I’ll pull a truck that has received the update and confirm as soon as I can. I’m going off memory and the files looked to be all apim related. The only reason I say TCO is that was listed also in the update . I’ll look at the file download and confirm.
Sponsored