First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
And here I am with my 9 month old 5.0 Lariat with not a single OTA update since taking delivery.

Early buyers of job 1 trucks really got the shaft on this one.
Sponsored

Reactions: Geo

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
And here I am with my 9 month old 5.0 Lariat with not a single OTA update since taking delivery.

Not sure why you would not be getting any OTA updates. My King Ranch was purchased on 12/30/20, so very early build and I have gotten all of the updates.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
Not sure why you would not be getting any OTA updates. My King Ranch was purchased on 12/30/20, so very early build and I have gotten all of the updates.
Stop bragging ;)

Mine is a march build and I've received the first couple of updates, but mine is stuck in limbo downloading the 1.7.1 update :cry:
It started downloading on the 18th and stopped after it downloaded 2.7Gb and now my software version and revision are blanked out in the sync software.
I now have to start my truck once a day or it will keep draining my battery.
I even tried manually installing the APIM update using FRDS and USB stick and it won't install. I really hope I don't need my APIM module replaced.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost

It could be worse . . . I received a notice last week that my Powerboost received an update - to 1.6.0. Then two days later I received an notice that I received another update - to 1.4.0.

I'm headed in the wrong direction. Ha.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It could be worse . . . I received a notice last week that my Powerboost received an update - to 1.6.0. Then two days later I received an notice that I received another update - to 1.4.0.

I'm headed in the wrong direction. Ha.
Yeah, whoever designed the rollouts dropped the ball...
I'm pretty sure 1.6.0 was the GWM module update which was required to fix issues with OTA and allow 1.4.0 to install the TCU module update.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Stop bragging ;)

Mine is a march build and I've received the first couple of updates, but mine is stuck in limbo downloading the 1.7.1 update :cry:
It started downloading on the 18th and stopped after it downloaded 2.7Gb and now my software version and revision are blanked out in the sync software.
I now have to start my truck once a day or it will keep draining my battery.
I even tried manually installing the APIM update using FRDS and USB stick and it won't install. I really hope I don't need my APIM module replaced.
1.7.1 requiring a 2.7GB download? That seems really large for what 1.7.1 does—updated the APIM. Something else must be trying to download as well. When I got 1.7.1 it installed very quickly—far faster than I would expect a download of that size to install.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Yeah, whoever designed the rollouts dropped the ball...
I'm pretty sure 1.6.0 was the GWM module update which was required to fix issues with OTA and allow 1.4.0 to install the TCU module update.
I know 2.1.0 updated the GMW. If 1.6.0 also updated the same module that would surprise me. But I suppose it’s possible.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I know 2.1.0 updated the GMW. If 1.6.0 also updated the same module that would surprise me. But I suppose it’s possible.
1.6.0 is the first update to GWM. 2.1.0 is an additional update to likely resolve more OTA features and maybe stage for upcoming features.
I read somewhere that it allows the horn/lights button to display in the fordpass app as well.

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
1.7.1 requiring a 2.7GB download? That seems really large for what 1.7.1 does—updated the APIM. Something else must be trying to download as well. When I got 1.7.1 it installed very quickly—far faster than I would expect a download of that size to install.
It's actually not nearly as large as it should be. The APIM module is what contains the SYNC OS and maps...
This update brings our Sync version up the latest code as of May. New trucks have a newer version than the 1.7.1 release.

I've seen it reported that the overall download size is approaching the 9+ Gb because of the map updates.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
It's actually not nearly as large as it should be. The APIM module is what contains the SYNC OS and maps...
This update brings our Sync version up the latest code as of May. New trucks have a newer version than the 1.7.1 release.

I've seen it reported that the overall download size is approaching the 9+ Gb because of the map updates.
Something still doesn’t sound right. The 1.7.1 I received was nowhere near these sizes. It installed quickly and my Sync version did not change. The download I got had all the earmarks of a small firmware update. No evidence that it touched my OS. I would also expect an OS update of 3 GB or larger to require WiFi to download and 30-45 minutes to install.

Sponsored

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Something still doesn’t sound right. The 1.7.1 I received was nowhere near these sizes. It installed quickly and my Sync version did not change. The download I got had all the earmarks of a small firmware update. No evidence that it touched my OS. I would also expect an OS update of 3 GB or larger to require WiFi to download and 30-45 minutes to install.
I'm not sure what to say... I'm extremely confident. I've spent a lot of time looking into this. I even follow the mach-e forums which that vehicle uses the same exact infrastructure as our trucks (minus the electric components)

The APIM is SYNC. I think ford made some changes to recent deployments of 1.7.1 because early rollouts of 1.7.1 were downloading almost 9Gb.
I just checked FRDS and tried installing the APIM update and it only downloaded 3.7Gb to the USB stick. It didn't include the map files.
The issue for me is that I couldn't even get Sync to install the files from the USB using to appropriate tool and license.

Maybe @Ford Motor Company can help?

Last edited:

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I'm not sure what to say... I'm extremely confident. I've spent a lot of time looking into this. I even follow the mach-e forums which that vehicle uses the same exact infrastructure as our trucks (minus the electric components)

The APIM is SYNC. I think ford made some changes to recent deployments of 1.7.1 because early rollouts of 1.7.1 were downloading almost 9Gb.
I just checked FRDS and tried installing the APIM update and it only downloaded 3.7Gb to the USB stick. It didn't include the map files.
The issue for me is that I couldn't even get Sync to install the files from the USB using to appropriate tool and license.
I am in a similar situation as you. This update failed a few times OTA so went to dealer, where it failed using USB stick. So, dealer ordered new APIM, which is schedule to be installed Wednesday, since the software at the dealer showed the install failing at the APIM each time.

Geo

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150, 4x4, Lariat 501A pk. 5.0 V-8, Max Tow.
i agree with you totally but i would go to the ford dealership on every thing you mentioned except bluecruise. I got my platium last january and it has all the above right off lot besides the blue-cruise.
You have the bed camera display while driving at highway speeds ???

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a

Maybe @Ford Motor Company can help?
I’m not doubting you. But I think the APIM is pretty complex and it might not be monolithic. I thought it was structured like a home computer with something akin to a BIOS and a separate flash memory to hold the OS and map data. You can update one without necessarily having to update the other.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
I have a 2 month old Platinum with BlueCruise prep package and I am missing out. I do not have many of the features that I see others have already including BlueCruise, turn-by-turn navigation from CarPlay, the ability to use my bed camera while moving, and probably 10 other features or fixes I should have.

I'm thinking it is YOU that does not understand how this should work, as a 2 month old $75k truck with advertised OTA updates should not be missing features.
You're missing the point. You bought a truck that didn't have those features, and they weren't promised. In years past, you didn't get anything that wasn't on the car when you drove it off the lot. It is a bonus to get updates that add features. I am in the same boat, you aren't missing much on the nav or camera. It will get updated in due time. If you really have an issue take it in to the dealer. The hard part is the disparity in the millions of possible configurations that are out there.
Sponsored