Sponsored

Power running boards, prevent door dings?

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I havent even made payment #2, and some db in a Ram truck has already door dinged me. It took a little bit of the paint and has about a 5" long crease in the door. I know it was him because I parked far away in the parking lot and he pulled up next to me as I was leaving. When I came back he was gone and I saw my door, no note and no cameras to grab a license plate #*$#!

I can't do much about this one, but I would like to prevent future dings.

My current settings are for the power running boards to be retracted except for when you are approaching or exiting the truck. If I change the setting for the boards to be deployed all of the time the vehicle is stopped, will that help prevent future door dings? People suck, especially in Dodge Trucks.
Sponsored

Bandito

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited PowerBoost
Sorry to hear about your incident. That's heartbreaking.

The running boards will likely protect you from car doors, which are lower, but I doubt that they'd prevent door dings from another truck that is higher up.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
What an ass hat. He knew why you were parked out far, and still did that crap.

jfdube999

First Name
Jean-Francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum 4x4 FX4, 2020 Edge Titanium, 2019 Escape Ti, 2019 Mustang GT PP2
Leave your foot on the step when you are locking your door, they will remain down for that one time until you return to your car. That simple
Read this and immediately tried it the next day after parking at the mall. The boards did in fact stay down and that's exactly what I wanted.

However, after returning an hour or so later, the boards had somehow retracted back up. Weird.

Sponsored

F150SWPlat

First Name
Aleksandr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Platinum 2021-2022
Occupation
IT
Read this and immediately tried it the next day after parking at the mall. The boards did in fact stay down and that's exactly what I wanted.

However, after returning an hour or so later, the boards had somehow retracted back up. Weird.
Interesting. I don’t have my own ride to verify it, but what i told you is what many power board owners have said that it does. No one ever mentioned a time out setting under which it ultimately goes back on its own.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
There is an option to keep the running boards out on the touch screen. They will go back in the next time you start the truck.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost

This makes sense. I’ve always cleaned my windshield standing on the boards while getting gas, and wondered if they would go back in while I’m standing on them. There must be a sensor, and the timer to retract probably starts once you step off. I didn’t even know about this. I leave the boards out using the screen controls. Then they will stay out until you start the truck again.

OP
OP
JJ_Tex

JJ_Tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Thanks everyone. I too found that the running boards retracted a few minutes after I put my foot on them.

Whenever I'm in a parking lot now I try and leave them deployed via the touchscreen.

I really wish there was a mode that had the boards deployed when parked and retracted when driving.

Vinnrox250

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F150 Limited & '21 Ford Explorer Platinum
I have always just hit the button on the back of the board to deploy them when I wash and stuff, and unless I drive off, or kick the button they have stayed out. Not sure if they will over XX hours, but for 3 hours, I know they stayed out.
Sponsored