First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
The sound of the running boards extending / retracting was getting old, so I wanted to try setting them to the "Out" position. I also prefer the look of them extended when the vehicle is parked and also while in-motion.

According to the owner's manual:
Running Boards (Modes)
Off
- The power running boards remain stowed, regardless of door position.

Auto - The power running boards deploy when you approach your vehicle with a remote control, unlock the door or open the door. The power running boards stow:
• After a few seconds when you close the doors.
• If you unlock the door but do not open it.
• If you have switched Approach detection on and do not open a door before the Auto Timer setting expires.
Note: When you select this mode, an option displays that allows you to select how long the running boards stay deployed without opening the door.

Out
The power running boards remain deployed, regardless of door position.

Approach detection
When you switch Approach detection on with Auto switched on, the running boards deploy when you approach your vehicle with a remote control.
Every time I've set it in the "Out" position, when I hit 3 MPH the boards retract. I thought OK, maybe I can't keep them from retracting when the vehicle is in motion. However after putting the vehicle in park and exiting, they retract after a long delay. I re-check the Running Board Mode setting, and it always get switched back to "Auto".

Has anyone been using the "Out" option, and if so, do the running boards stay extended 100% of the time (while driving, after the vehicle is parked, etc.)?
Sponsored

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I put my out also when I am washing my truck so they are not always going up and down when the doors are open, but when I am done and drive away they will automatically go up and switch back to auto. I do not think you can leave them down when you are driving

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
So "Out" is not a permanent setting that "sticks" until changed?

Seems unintuitive given that all the other feature settings "stick".

JGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I know the off position will stay in off until you turn it back to auto , but the out goes back to auto when you drive on mine

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I know the off position will stay in off until you turn it back to auto , but the out goes back to auto when you drive on mine
Seems really odd to me, but evidently this is by design (or at least consistent with other owners).

Sponsored

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
I’ve had the same experience. I set them to Out but every time I restart the truck they switch to Auto. Personally, I think it is a bug. Doesn’t make any sense to me why it would do that. I’m hoping they fix it in a software update.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
All of the power running boards controls/settings are for when the truck is stopped. Think of OFF more as Clean (i.e. in a position so you can clean them).

They will retract when moving... why?..... because they tend to stick out further and down lower than regular running boards, and if it hit something at speed could mess them up and even if not major damage, could be enough twist/torque to prevent them from operating or getting stuck.

YzermanTopShelf

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat Powerboost
All of the power running boards controls/settings are for when the truck is stopped. Think of OFF more as Clean (i.e. in a position so you can clean them).

They will retract when moving... why?..... because they tend to stick out further and down lower than regular running boards, and if it hit something at speed could mess them up and even if not major damage, could be enough twist/torque to prevent them from operating or getting stuck.
I don’t have an issue with them retracting once the truck is moving. What I do expect is that when the Out option is selected, the running boards remain deployed when the truck isn’t moving. Seems very counterintuitive that the setting switches back to auto.

OP
OP
Smitdog

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
I don’t have an issue with them retracting once the truck is moving. What I do expect is that when the Out option is selected, the running boards remain deployed when the truck isn’t moving. Seems very counterintuitive that the setting switches back to auto.
If the functionality is as @BLoflin suggests, then the interface and option selection functionality is very unintuitive. (I spent a couple decades involved with user interface design, so I pay attention to such things).

At the end of the day I would like the running boards 100% deployed when the truck is stopped. I'm OK with them retracting above a certain speed and staying retracted until the vehicle is put in park / turned off.

Given how the options actual work, it may have been better implemented as a physical "Running Boards Out / Normal Operation" switch somewhere on the lower dash to the left of the steering wheel (easy access when opening driver's to when cleaning vehicle).

charmnh

First Name
Harmon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150 King Ranch, 2018 F150 King Ranch , both 4x4
Occupation
Happily retired
The sound of the running boards extending / retracting was getting old, so I wanted to try setting them to the "Out" position. I also prefer the look of them extended when the vehicle is parked and also while in-motion.

Every time I've set it in the "Out" position, when I hit 3 MPH the boards retract. I thought OK, maybe I can't keep them from retracting when the vehicle is in motion. However after putting the vehicle in park and exiting, they retract after a long delay. I re-check the Running Board Mode setting, and it always get switched back to "Auto".

Has anyone been using the "Out" option, and if so, do the running boards stay extended 100% of the time (while driving, after the vehicle is parked, etc.)?
Experiencing the same issue. Salesman states can't put in permanent deploy, but I read it as possible. Maybe one chip powering too many things. Maybe someone on here can help us out.

Sponsored

Poalpo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
What i am hearing from you guys is messed up. Assuming i am in a tight parking spot and i want to leave the boards “out” until i return for protection from other doors opening and scratching mine. You are all saying that is not possible to achieve with ‘Out’ setting.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
What i am hearing from you guys is messed up. Assuming i am in a tight parking spot and i want to leave the boards “out” until i return for protection from other doors opening and scratching mine. You are all saying that is not possible to achieve with ‘Out’ setting.
You can just use the "kick" button to deploy them as you walk away from the truck. Easy.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL

I set mine on auto but dont deploy on approach until i touch door handle ?
Oddly on delivery they worked when i was several feet away but now they dont . Many computer issues as well .

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
I have the same experience. I set the mode to OUT. It’s fine that they retract at speed but why does the mode shift to AUTO every time? It’s a poorly engineered system in MHO.

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
"AUTO: The PRB extends (deploys) automatically when a door is opened on. When all doors are
closed PRBs retracts (stows) after a short delay of few seconds.

l OUT: Both PRB 's (deploy) ignoring the door positions as long as the vehicle is not moving more
than 5 km/h (3 mph). When the vehicle speed increases above 5km/h (3 mph) both PRB 's stow
automatically. Additionally, when the vehicle speed reaches 5km/h (3 mph) the setting is
automatically changed back to AUTO.

l OFF: The PRB 's remain in the stow position ignoring the door positions, however, if the PRB 's
are extended when the setting is changes to OFF, the PRB 's will stow when both doors are
closed and remain in the stow position until the setting is changed.

l NOTE: When you select AUTO mode, an option displays that allows you select how long the
running boards stay deployed without opening the door.

Approach detection: The PRB 's deploy when you approach your vehicle with a remote control,
unlock the door or open the door. The power running boards stow after a few seconds when you
close the doors. The PRB 's also stow if you have switched Approach Detection ON and have
not opened a door or you exceed the power running board timer."

l Kick Switch: Kick switch are located in the rear side of running boards to deploy or stow the
PRB automatically per customer request.

If I put mine out, they stay out until I tell them not to be, or drive away (I do not have approach detection on). I have done this for hours while cleaning, etc.

You can extend the time they are out in the sync menu and you can raise the MPH that they retract in forscan but only up to like 8mph or so.
Sponsored