Sponsored

Power running boards are very loud

uavmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Bumping up because I want to order a truck this week but can't decide on doing the power running boards or not. If they are just loud by design I'll likely skip and decide down the road if I want aftermarket
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I got a new data point to add today!

Previously, I had only stood by a King Ranch and actuated the power boards using the foot button. I didn't think they were loud or anything annoying.

Today I test drove a Limited and wanted to really pay attention. Again, didn't feel that loud using the foot button. BUT - when I started moving, they retracted and INSIDE it was very loud. Granted, I had the radio off and was in a hybrid so every sound is noticeable. And when I returned it, again very loud inside the cab.

Having said that, it won't bother me. But anyone with misophonia, I hope this does not cause any hardships!

OP
OP

cylon58

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Insurance Agent
I got a new data point to add today!

Previously, I had only stood by a King Ranch and actuated the power boards using the foot button. I didn't think they were loud or anything annoying.

Today I test drove a Limited and wanted to really pay attention. Again, didn't feel that loud using the foot button. BUT - when I started moving, they retracted and INSIDE it was very loud. Granted, I had the radio off and was in a hybrid so every sound is noticeable. And when I returned it, again very loud inside the cab.

Having said that, it won't bother me. But anyone with misophonia, I hope this does not cause any hardships!
Yes, my Platinum is only loud on the inside. More a gripe about having to put up with it in a $72,000 truck than it being an actual issue. For this amount of money I feel it should only make me smile, not wanting to complain. Either way, it’s a very nice truck and I do like the power running boards.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Did a test drive this morning on a powerboost with power running boards. I will say, that the board coming up are loud inside the truck, louder than outside. The best way of describing this is like a small Viking horn going off... check out the video. I didn’t order them, and I’m glad I didn’t.

Attachments

Wilsons66605

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Power Boost Platinum, 2019 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I did notice the louder boards. I think they are getting more quiet the more I use them.
I also deactivated the auto deploy cuz it just goes crazy if I am in the garage.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I did notice the louder boards. I think they are getting more quiet the more I use them.
I also deactivated the auto deploy cuz it just goes crazy if I am in the garage.
That's so funny to me. I just figured I may leave them deployed and some members thought that was risky and dangerous. But visually in the lot they appear to be the exact same height as my current fixed boards on an XLT, and I have a 4x2 which sits 1.5" lower than a 4x4 already. Were those risky/dangerous?

But anyway I'll probably start with automatic and see what happens. The wife has misophonia but for very specific things, so if this triggers a complaint every time we start the car I will surely be disabling it. She complains MUCH louder than any board motor haha

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
That's so funny to me. I just figured I may leave them deployed and some members thought that was risky and dangerous. But visually in the lot they appear to be the exact same height as my current fixed boards on an XLT, and I have a 4x2 which sits 1.5" lower than a 4x4 already. Were those risky/dangerous?

But anyway I'll probably start with automatic and see what happens. The wife has misophonia but for very specific things, so if this triggers a complaint every time we start the car I will surely be disabling it. She complains MUCH louder than any board motor haha
I've had fixed running boards
on one of my trucks for 17 years..
Never has been a problem ..
I leave my new truck boards out when parking to try and block door dings..
There are no dings in my
17 year old truck so there are benefits to fixed running boards..

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Mine is the same as everyone else here. I wish they went down as far as my 2018s did, those were perfect and not noisy at all.

I may take a look and see if the motor is mounted against the cab metal. May be able to put a rubber buffer between it or something. Kind of embarrassing actually when someone rides in it. To be so quite and smooth about everything else, I am really surprised at Ford with this. Still way better than fixed boards.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
Mine is the same as everyone else here. I wish they went down as far as my 2018s did, those were perfect and not noisy at all.

I may take a look and see if the motor is mounted against the cab metal. May be able to put a rubber buffer between it or something. Kind of embarrassing actually when someone rides in it. To be so quite and smooth about everything else, I am really surprised at Ford with this. Still way better than fixed boards.
I agree, seems like a huge step backwards tech wise..

Sponsored

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
I think I figured out the issue!

Since truck owners apparently love noise, they are piping in fake running board noise through the speakers for our enjoyment. It's a feature!
I think you're on to something..

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited Powerboost
I came from a 2017 Expedition with the same style of running boards. They have a distinctive sound, but I grew used to it with my Expedition, and it was at times nice to know they were had moved up when they were supposed to. I think I grew so used to it that it I didn't here them go up when the kids got in the car, I knew someone didn't close their door all the way.

*Side note* Here's a tip anyone that uses a car wash (I did on my Expedition, I won't for the most part with this one) or even those that wash it at home. You can "put out" you running boards from the menu while going through the car wash to get them clean. Once you start driving away, it will automatically pop them back into automatic mode.

ClassicMuscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F150
Is it me or do the ‘21 boards also not deploy down nearly as far. I came from an ‘18 and the boards extended down about twice as far? The ‘21 boards are also much louder, this seems like a big step backward in the design.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Is it me or do the ‘21 boards also not deploy down nearly as far. I came from an ‘18 and the boards extended down about twice as far? The ‘21 boards are also much louder, this seems like a big step backward in the design.
Not just you!

I had a 2018 KR with the power boards also. It's been discussed here a few times.

22F150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 KR Powerboost
My power running boards ('22 KR) are VERY loud too. I checked out the power running boards on a 2022 Lincoln Navigator and they were perfectly quiet. I guess you need to spend $100K+ to get decent sounding running boards?
Sponsored