Power rear window retrofit install?

Smroepe

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport SuperCrew
It’s a long story, but my 2021 XLT is going back, and is getting replaced with a new one from the dealer with a few slightly different options. Overall, I’m happy since I’m getting a 360 camera and Ford coPilot Assist, but the one option I’m losing is the rear power window.

Does anyone know how much that will cost to get installed later?
Sponsored

sglide05

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
I had one on my 2018 but not on my 2021. I don't miss it.

2016BoosteGreyGoose

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostedgreygoosedesigns.net
Vehicles
2016 XLT 302A SCREw 3.5 & 2021 XLT 301A RCSB 5.0
Occupation
Business Owner
It’s a long story, but my 2021 XLT is going back, and is getting replaced with a new one from the dealer with a few slightly different options. Overall, I’m happy since I’m getting a 360 camera and Ford coPilot Assist, but the one option I’m losing is the rear power window.

There is a 99% chance your new truck will be wired for the rear sliding window. You will only need to pin the wires that go to the switch in the overhead console, which you will have to get... a new overhead console with the rear slider switch. Im installing a rear slider in my RCSB XLT. My truck isnt wired for this upgrade so I will have to add all of the wiring from the BJB BCMB/BCMB relays. They sould be able to easily add the slider in your new truck. :)

jdesa05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB FCP Edition
There is a 99% chance your new truck will be wired for the rear sliding window. You will only need to pin the wires that go to the switch in the overhead console, which you will have to get... a new overhead console with the rear slider switch. Im installing a rear slider in my RCSB XLT. My truck isnt wired for this upgrade so I will have to add all of the wiring from the BJB BCMB/BCMB relays. They sould be able to easily add the slider in your new truck. :)
please post a write up and pics!!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4

I asked my local auto glass guy about R&Ring the rear window. He does all the glass work for the local Ford Dealerships.

You'd have thought I was asking him to defuse a bomb!

He didn't want anything to do with it.

Maybe I just need to find another glass shop but this guy seems to know his shit.

Good luck!

Sponsored

canes1

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
AIRCRAFT MECHANIC
I traded in a 2011 F150 with a rear sliding mirror! In ten years of owning, I opened it about 5 times, just to make sure it worked.
New truck doesn't have one, so I will no longer be able to do tnat.

2016BoosteGreyGoose

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
I asked my local auto glass guy about R&Ring the rear window. He does all the glass work for the local Ford Dealerships.

Maybe I just need to find another glass shop but this guy seems to know his shit.

Good luck!

Good luck!
It really isn't that bad..... especially if the truck is prewired for the motor. My single cab was not, so I added all the necessary wiring to do it as if it came from the factory.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Ford bolts their rear truck windows in place and it's a bit more of a chore than the ones that are set in place like windshields. Also, I do see mention of the two piece sliders randomly shattering for no known reason. Either temperature change or unseen defects, possibly improperly torqued bolts.

Either way, I imagine it only takes a few instances of glass installers having to eat the cost of a rear window before they decide on avoiding them or just stories passed along by the glass shops. Or it's just a case of a window installer not wanting to have to remove all the interior trim that needs to be moved aside to access the nuts on the backside.

IMO, the single cabs are in more need of the rear slider than the crew cabs. The open window helps wind buffeting when the windows are down and it's a good way to access the bed if you take a road trip and put a cooler in the back.

It really isn't that bad..... especially if the truck is prewired for the motor. My single cab was not, so I added all the necessary wiring to do it as if it came from the factory.
How long did it take to r/r the window? One thing I also was concerned about is the side curtain airbags and as above, all the associated trim that would be disturbed. Did you also install the factory button? Thanks!

2016BoosteGreyGoose

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Occupation
Business Owner
Ford bolts their rear truck windows in place and it's a bit more of a chore than the ones that are set in place like windshields. Also, I do see mention of the two piece sliders randomly shattering for no known reason. Either temperature change or unseen defects, possibly improperly torqued bolts.

Either way, I imagine it only takes a few instances of glass installers having to eat the cost of a rear window before they decide on avoiding them or just stories passed along by the glass shops. Or it's just a case of a window installer not wanting to have to remove all the interior trim that needs to be moved aside to access the nuts on the backside.

IMO, the single cabs are in more need of the rear slider than the crew cabs. The open window helps wind buffeting when the windows are down and it's a good way to access the bed if you take a road trip and put a cooler in the back.

How long did it take to r/r the window? One thing I also was concerned about is the side curtain airbags and as above, all the associated trim that would be disturbed. Did you also install the factory button? Thanks!
Side airbags are no concern as long as you follow 12v rules..... disconnect the battery and take your time removing trim parts. It's just a giant puzzle. I've had the interior of my 2016 crew cab cemetery removed to do alot of upgrading. As for the slider button, yeah, I only use oem parts so everything is oem. I bought a new overhead console with the rear slider button....

Ford F-150 Power rear window retrofit install? PCIMG_2021-05-08_13-10-02.JPG

Tecdiver

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Corporate shill

Good luck!
I had to get my moonroof class (the fixed portion) replaced after my tonneau caught some wind and whipped up and over the cab. The dealership 'glass man' felt similiarly in that Ford doesn't make replacing glass, at least the panel sheets, an easy process. He did it, but it was a tortuously involved process. Not sure if the same is for the rear window, but it could be.

Sponsored

ReactiveD

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4
It has been a few months but any progress with the rear slider project? What are the part numbers for the rear window and overhead console?

Leadfooted

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Side airbags are no concern as long as you follow 12v rules..... disconnect the battery and take your time removing trim parts. It's just a giant puzzle. I've had the interior of my 2016 crew cab cemetery removed to do alot of upgrading. As for the slider button, yeah, I only use oem parts so everything is oem. I bought a new overhead console with the rear slider button....

PCIMG_2021-05-08_13-10-02.JPG

PCIMG_2021-05-08_13-10-02.JPG
I read your post on installing a rear slider in your 2021. Thanks for good info! Wondering where you ordered the console with slider button? Thanks

Donnelly713

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
curious if anyone has ever had this done and what the cost was. fixed to rear sliding

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
curious if anyone has ever had this done and what the cost was. fixed to rear sliding
Wouldnt hold my breath waiting for info, the few who have done it either make a living from adding these features or know someone who does. The best bet will be for them to "release" kits for it most likely.

Personally I'm waiting for the 8" to 12" screen :D

Hauk

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I did this mod on my truck. Very easy mod, at least on the Super Crew. Here is what you will need:

• Overhead Console with the slider switch. Price will depend on if you can find a used one.
  • Terminals for C Pillar Plug. Part number is "WT-1000" it contains 5 terminals, but you only need 4. about $20
  • Plug for overhead console switch. Part number "WPT-1028". about $30
  • 4 conductor 22ga wire. $5
  • Rear Slider Glass. $400-$650 depending on aftermarket or OEM. Plus ~$150 or so to install if you dont go DIY.

As far as the wiring, you just need to insert the WPT-1000 pins into the 30 pin connector located in the upper passenger side C Pillar, near the headliner. you would then attach the wire to these pins and route them to the overhead console location. You would then just connect the wires y ou just ran to the pigtail to thee WPT-1028 connector.

Here are the connections you need to make between the two plugs (C pillar connector and slider switch). Four wires total:

1. Pin 24 from the C Pillar to Pin 1 on the switch. This is the power supply wire.
  2. Pin 14 from the C Pillar to Pin 2 on the switch. This is for the close relay for the slider.
  3. Pin 12 from the C Pillar to Pin 3 on the switch. This is for the open relay for the slider.
  4. Pin 11 from the C Pillar to Pin 6 on the switch. This is a ground connection.
Anyways hopes this helps anyone that is needing to go this route. You might be able to save some money by finding the raw pins and connector from a parts house but I didnt bother.
Sponsored