power boost and skil saw

wayne

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum loaded, 2013 raptor
Does anyone have trouble plugging in a Skil Saw and not getting enough power to actual cut a piece of wood. I am talking about a real skil Saw not a cheap homeowners, Home depot piece of garbage, but one a real carpenter would you.

I read of people complaining there is not enough power to start these running due to the amperage they draw. I find it hard to believe since ford advertises it will run a welder, 27 refrigerators air compressors etc
If anyone has a skil saw that they can plug in I would appreciate hearing the results and if you have a 7.2 or 2.4 generator
Thanks
Sponsored

kdkool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 F150
I don't have a gen14 but I have experience with a 3kW inverter gas generator that'd do something similar on a high powered air compressor. Some motors have excessive current draw at power on (lock rotor current). It practically looks like a short circuit to the inverter and will cause a safety shutdown. Slightly less gradual draws will be fine. If your saw causes an issue like this, get a soft starter device to lessen the "shock" (impulse response) on the inverter and it'll work out just fine.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
There's a few of us powerboost peeps here that have found that some tools won't work without a little help. The inrush current is what causes the issue. It's not uncommon to see over 30 amps pulled while starting up a 15 amp saw. I know there was one person with the same issue as you, a skil saw wouldn't start. Mine (7.2 kWh) wouldn't run my handheld concrete core drill even though it's only rated at 12 amps.

Ford doesn't have a solution, but I've fixed my issue with a soft starter. I use it on every big current draw tool now, the smooth startup is nice, and I haven't had a breaker trip since.
Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw 20210525_064814
Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw 20210525_064803

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
Does anyone have trouble plugging in a Skil Saw and not getting enough power to actual cut a piece of wood. I am talking about a real skil Saw not a cheap homeowners, Home depot piece of garbage, but one a real carpenter would you.

I read of people complaining there is not enough power to start these running due to the amperage they draw. I find it hard to believe since ford advertises it will run a welder, 27 refrigerators air compressors etc
If anyone has a skil saw that they can plug in I would appreciate hearing the results and if you have a 7.2 or 2.4 generator
Thanks
I have the Pro Power 2KW onboard and was running Table Top Sterilizers (1 at a time all day the other day) with no issues. These draw 1400-1500 watts during heat up. No issues.

Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw image_206

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Something I discovered even in my garage. OLD outdoor orange type 3 prong extension cords that are not rated right or again, just OLD, will cause a breaker to blow. When I replaced the extension cords, all was well. Just an FYI.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Yeah either extension cord or soft start is the likely answer. That surge draw is rough. It can happen with household outlets also, but they generally don't trip as readily as an inverter system will as the house has a lot more power to give to handle that surge, for the milliseconds it's needed. The inverter has a ceiling. The same issue happens with TTs and the air conditioner. The start up draw on those can sometimes even take down a 30 Amp, so many come with a soft start already installed.

I expect a later addition to ProPower will be a built in soft start system. For a Gen1 option it's great, but that's an area they definitely can improve on if they want to really appeal to job site work.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost

BaySide1

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Super Crew 5.5Ft Bed
Occupation
Medical Equipment Repair
I run tabletop autoclaves on my 2K Pro Power system. This smaller one uses about 1100 to 1200 Watts. The Larger ones run 1400 + /- watts

Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw 1100

Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw back

Ford F-150 power boost and skil saw runnin
Sponsored