• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power bank possible???

tsmith60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
70 Maverick
Hello. Been lurking here for a while.

now, I don’t have any knowledge or education on how electric vehicles actually work beyond the obvious and basic.

that being said, would it be possible to buy other batteries and setting them up like a power bank like you would for your cell phone? I know these are wildly different pieces of tech, but I’m just curious if there is anything there?
Sponsored

OP
OP

tsmith60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
70 Maverick
I saw that camper with the battery pack in it, and if that can be made, maybe with a little homework, there could be a way to recreate that?

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I'm not sure what the advantage would be. Batteries are heavy and it would take a while to charge. You'd probably be better off just charging at a charging station. It would be much faster.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I saw that camper with the battery pack in it, and if that can be made, maybe with a little homework, there could be a way to recreate that?
Definitely wouldn't recommend playing with large banks of batteries at home unless you have a lot of experience. One wrong wire and you just burnt up your truck and house. Not to mention forgoing your warranty. I don't think it would be worth the risk.

Zoomzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning f150
I'm not sure what the advantage would be. Batteries are heavy and it would take a while to charge. You'd probably be better off just charging at a charging station. It would be much faster.
Two immediate advantages come to mind:
1. Towing: range will probably be cut in half (or more) when towing, so avoiding charging every 100 miles would be nice
2.Boondocking/remote camping: I was looking at places around Glacier Nat park that I camped at this summer. Some of thos spots need about 250 miles of EV range to pull off. That’s stressful for a 300 range Lightning, impossible with lower spec.

Sponsored
OP
OP

tsmith60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
70 Maverick
See that’s kinda what I was thinking. Just to add 50-100 miles to offset the expense of light towing. While also acting as a safety net just in case.

there have been a several “Tesla swaps” nowadays for classic cars. This just gave me the thought to investigate further. Figured I would run it by the group.

I would imagine finding a Tesla battery and the electronics to regulate it would be the “easy” part lol. Whether or not I could convert it over to the truck in a safe manner? I don’t know.

Anyway. Just letting the imagination run a little bit.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Two immediate advantages come to mind:
1. Towing: range will probably be cut in half (or more) when towing, so avoiding charging every 100 miles would be nice
2.Boondocking/remote camping: I was looking at places around Glacier Nat park that I camped at this summer. Some of thos spots need about 250 miles of EV range to pull off. That’s stressful for a 300 range Lightning, impossible with lower spec.
You just named the reasons I didn't go electric. If it wasn't for pulling a camper I would have went for the Lightening.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Tech
See that’s kinda what I was thinking. Just to add 50-100 miles to offset the expense of light towing. While also acting as a safety net just in case.

there have been a several “Tesla swaps” nowadays for classic cars. This just gave me the thought to investigate further. Figured I would run it by the group.

I would imagine finding a Tesla battery and the electronics to regulate it would be the “easy” part lol. Whether or not I could convert it over to the truck in a safe manner? I don’t know.

Definitely a neat idea. Have you ever watched Rich Rebuilds on YouTube? I used to have a lot of Tesla content about rebuilding batteries and so on. Now he's been doing more gas powered stuff. You could search some of his older videos.

Morinvok

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 f150 xlt, 2021 f150 lariat powerstroke (soon,

Keep in mind that at a certain point you lose efficiency because of battery weight. With just the pickup you would get diminishing returns on adding a larger (and heavier) battery. Combine the extra battery with trailer weight when towing and the weight of more battery may just give you less range, or very little added range

Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E, 2016 Leaf, 2003 Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
retired oceanographer
Possible, sure. Economical, probably not. You'd be better off just stopping at a slow speed charger for one night on the way to the park. To make sense financially you'd need to do this quite frequently. That's part of the argument for sticking with the standard range battery for most folks.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Possible, sure. Economical, probably not. You'd be better off just stopping at a slow speed charger for one night on the way to the park. To make sense financially you'd need to do this quite frequently. That's part of the argument for sticking with the standard range battery for most folks.
The only way I could see something like this working is it make it an item you can rent. So instead of buying the extra (installed in bed?) battery, you rent one when you need it for a long range trip - like a uhaul trailer!

OP
OP

tsmith60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
70 Maverick
If money were no object I guess right?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The only way I could see something like this working is it make it an item you can rent. So instead of buying the extra (installed in bed?) battery, you rent one when you need it for a long range trip - like a uhaul trailer!
The toolbox range extender that Ford has patented (but no word on if it will be produced) would be a perfect item to rent in this fashion. It makes much more sense financially and weight wise. If you need the additional range on a regular basis, the hybrid truck is probably a better option for you. If it's just a couple of times a year, renting a gas powered range extender for those trips makes sense at least until the charging station network becomes much more robust.

precab

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Fiber infrastructure
My concern centers on having to drop the trailer on a RV TT trip needing to park into a single charger parking spot. Don't mind the trip taking longer since I remove office, that is the fun part
Sponsored