Powder Coating Platinum Wheels

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I like the shape of the Platinum wheels, but it is a bit too much chrome for me. I also don’t want to drop $$$ on all new wheels.

Can a chrome wheel be powder coated? If so, would it hold up reasonably well? Is that cost effective compared to all new wheels?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
I like the shape of the Platinum wheels, but it is a bit too much chrome for me. I also don’t want to drop $$$ on all new wheels.

Can a chrome wheel be powder coated? If so, would it hold up reasonably well? Is that cost effective compared to all new wheels?

Thanks!
Anything metal can be powder coated; depending upon the color you're choosing it's often preferable to powdercoat chrome items as some colors are transparent and the chrome provides a different end result (obviously an opaque color isn't affected)

there is an outfit in my area that charges $50 per wheel, but you have to remove the tires, valve stems, weights and tps modules so in reality it cost more than $200.00 because it's two trips to the tire shop as well as the two trips to the powder coater

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

Thanks!
They are actually polished with a clearcoat on them so you aren't having to polish them yourself every few months. I'm sure there are powdercoaters in your area. Just call them and they'll give you an idea of what it'll cost. Powdercoat is pretty durable.
I'm thinking of blacking out the spoke recesses to make them look thinner. I'd like to use a decal application but no one is doing them yet. So I'm going to try a peel able spray paint to do a mock up. I just don't think that stuff will hold up.
Sponsored