Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 3.5l Ecoboost 11/6/20
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Greetings all,

Truck:
2021 F-150, Crew Cab, XLT

This morning on the way to work, I hit a pothole. (I know, I found the ONLY one around to hit! :rolleyes:)

Moments after, the chimes all start going off and the error messages start popping up on the screen...and I mean lots of them. (Think of Apollo 13 movie, right after stirring the O2 tank.)

Some of the highlights:

Park Aid Fault
Reverse Brake Assist Not Available See Manual
Service AdvanceTrac
Blind Spot System Fault
Cross Traffic System Fault
Hill Start Assist Not Available
Pre-Collision Assist Not Available

After I acknowledged them all, the truck would not allow me to change the driving mode.

Now, every time I start the truck, or try to engage any of these systems, or others as I stumble on them, the chiming begins again and new error messages appear along with the above list.

Ford Pass gives me the following errors:

Hill Start Assist Warning
Blind Spot Detection With Cross Traffic (In the What is Happening section is says it received invalid data from the anti-lock brake system control module.)
AntiLock Brake Fault

And of course...the truck just started over the weekend, (without the usual warning), Oil Change Required. I don't think this has anything to do with the major alarm bells and alerts.

My hunch is a connector is loose, or worse, a computer board has an error found by the bump.

I called my dealer service dude, he tells me he can get it in some point next week. Once it is there it will take them 3 to 5 days to diagnose the problem, get approval from the extended warranty folks for them to cover the rental. (Which doesn't reimburse for the rental until they diagnose!!!)

I am quite a bit concerned that a simple pothole in the highway could potentially cause this much damage to a truck with this much quality and history. I have never had anything like this on any of my previous Fords.

I am entertaining all ideas and knowledge. Please share, I am driving a truck without all the fancy safety systems! (Feels like my first Ford, you remember, the one we all learned to drive with as a teenager!)

Thanks,
Matthew
Sponsored

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I got the service advance track warning on my mustang when I went through a huge bump filled with water last winter.

it went away after I cycled the ignition a couple of times, I was convinced that it must have been some water got in a sensor in the wheel well.

I haven't done Too much research on the ABS setup in our trucks but the first place I would look would be the sensors attached to your hubs/wheel that measures the wheel speed, I imagine if that sensor exists that it would drive an input to the safety systems, just take a look behind the wheel and see if anything looks weird, can’t hurt!

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Check your under hood fuses, most here have said they found theirs not seated well and have caused all kinds of odd problems!
Another thread about it if you look.

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
wheel speed sensor will cause all those faults. not sure where it is located in these truck but in my last car it was in or around the wheel hub. I would bet the pothole busted the sensor or loosened the connection.

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
Are these trucks so complicated that a dealership can not figure out the cause in about an hour? If they can not schedule the repair until a few days later why not give your truck back and set up a repair appointment?

It's this kind of customer service that makes me never to want to use a dealership after it is out of warranty.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Same thing happened to me with the navigation screen but I was able to reset it.

Hit a big expansion strip and it went blank and it happened again the next time I was using navigation.

Hasn't happened when I wasn't using navigation in my truck.

OP
OP
Its Not Me

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Check your under hood fuses, most here have said they found theirs not seated well and have caused all kinds of odd problems!
Another thread about it if you look.
Viper, Thanks for this suggestion...I should have considered the fuse issue. I read the other thread(s) about how they were not seated properly and told myself to check them...and then forgot.

I am heading to lift the hood now...
:)

OP
OP
Its Not Me

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
wheel speed sensor will cause all those faults. not sure where it is located in these truck but in my last car it was in or around the wheel hub. I would bet the pothole busted the sensor or loosened the connection.
Buschlatte,
Thank you for your ideas. After lifting the hood and checking the fuse block, I will be rolling around on the ground under the truck looking for obvious connection issues. I didn't realize those sensors would cause all these errors, however, it does seem likely the more I think about it.

Thanks,
Matthew

OP
OP
Its Not Me

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Are these trucks so complicated that a dealership can not figure out the cause in about an hour? If they can not schedule the repair until a few days later why not give your truck back and set up a repair appointment?

It's this kind of customer service that makes me never to want to use a dealership after it is out of warranty.
Str8Shooter,
I think the biggest problem the dealer has is staffing...finding a mechanic who knows how to read and diagnose the computer level issues is no doubt difficult.
The big bummer I get from them is they can't/won't cover the rental until after they diagnose the problem. Every other time my truck has gone in, they arrange and cover the rental immediately.

I am calling the Service Manager as I have been doing business with him for over 20 years and he may have a solution.

Thanks,

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
...I think the biggest problem the dealer has is staffing...finding a mechanic who knows how to read and diagnose the computer level issues is no doubt difficult.
The problem is finding a skilled individual who is also willing to work at the same wage as those working at Starbucks or Wendy's. Wage Deflation is a real thing and has started to impact many specialized jobs where those with enough money are willing to either retire or enter sectors where they are paid what they are worth.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Greetings all,

Truck:
2021 F-150, Crew Cab, XLT

This morning on the way to work, I hit a pothole. (I know, I found the ONLY one around to hit! :rolleyes:)

Moments after, the chimes all start going off and the error messages start popping up on the screen...and I mean lots of them. (Think of Apollo 13 movie, right after stirring the O2 tank.)

Some of the highlights:

Park Aid Fault
Reverse Brake Assist Not Available See Manual
Service AdvanceTrac
Blind Spot System Fault
Cross Traffic System Fault
Hill Start Assist Not Available

After I acknowledged them all, the truck would not allow me to change the driving mode.

Now, every time I start the truck, or try to engage any of these systems, or others as I stumble on them, the chiming begins again and new error messages appear along with the above list.

Ford Pass gives me the following errors:

Hill Start Assist Warning
Blind Spot Detection With Cross Traffic (In the What is Happening section is says it received invalid data from the anti-lock brake system control module.)
AntiLock Brake Fault

And of course...the truck just started over the weekend, (without the usual warning), Oil Change Required. I don't think this has anything to do with the major alarm bells and alerts.

My hunch is a connector is loose, or worse, a computer board has an error found by the bump.

I called my dealer service dude, he tells me he can get it in some point next week. Once it is there it will take them 3 to 5 days to diagnose the problem, get approval from the extended warranty folks for them to cover the rental. (Which doesn't reimburse for the rental until they diagnose!!!)

I am quite a bit concerned that a simple pothole in the highway could potentially cause this much damage to a truck with this much quality and history. I have never had anything like this on any of my previous Fords.

I am entertaining all ideas and knowledge. Please share, I am driving a truck without all the fancy safety systems! (Feels like my first Ford, you remember, the one we all learned to drive with as a teenager!)

Thanks,
Matthew
Hi there! Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end. Thank you!

Buschlatte

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Buschlatte,
Thank you for your ideas. After lifting the hood and checking the fuse block, I will be rolling around on the ground under the truck looking for obvious connection issues. I didn't realize those sensors would cause all these errors, however, it does seem likely the more I think about it.

Thanks,
Matthew
Glad to help. I hope it is something quick and easy, please let us know what the issue is/was

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
The warning systems in these new vehicles are so tied together that one thing starts giving off an error, you can end up get multiple system errors.

OP
OP
Its Not Me

Its Not Me

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Commercial Locksmith
Viper, Thanks for this suggestion...I should have considered the fuse issue. I read the other thread(s) about how they were not seated properly and told myself to check them...and then forgot.

I am heading to lift the hood now...
Well, not the fuses. I did find them to not be seated all the way down. Now they are.

On to rolling around under the truck...

Viper

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Avalon, 2022 F-150 Limited Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher for the Military
Good luck!
Sponsored