• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Potential future EV credit changes [NO POLITICS]

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
The government should NOT be picking good companies and bad companies. They need to make sure the playing field is level for ALL companies. The individual companies/employees should independently determine if unions are good for them.

At the end of the day the rebates should be made available to ALL companies at the same level for the same level of car. IMHO the only difference in rebates should be for US vs NonUS assembly.
I guess some people don't understand what "No politics" means.
Sponsored

Pilot2022

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m expecting delivery 2023 or 2024. Hopefully they’ll be available by then. Should have included that in original post.

Maybe sooner once information available about Gen 2 Lightning and Gen 1 reservation holders cancel.

I read a summary of The Infrastructure Bill. Among other things, money for charging stations, grid safety, reliability, and security but nothing about additional incentives for EV purchases.

Between the individuals wishing for the $12,500 incentive proposal to be included so they can flip their Lightning on eBay or needing it to afford a Lightning, likely even more reservation cancellations once the bill is signed.

Whenever I take delivery, I plan to use it as a truck, e.g., expect scratches and dings, haul things to the landfill, not flinch when a front end loader fills the bed with topsoil or mulch, loan it to family members, etc.

Mine will be a truck not a driveway queen.
same here....mine will be a driveway peasant. :)

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
during a 30 to 40 minute charging session, do you really think you will have time to get an air mattress inflated and situation and get any actual sleep in?
Possibly. I was thinking more about pulling over at a rest area and sleep for 2 hours or so. Or even all night at a campground if I arrive too late to still put up the tent.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I read a summary of The Infrastructure Bill. Among other things, money for charging stations, grid safety, reliability, and security but nothing about additional incentives for EV purchases.

Between the individuals wishing for the $12,500 incentive proposal to be included so they can flip their Lightning on eBay or needing it to afford a Lightning, likely even more reservation cancellations once the bill is signed.
The EV tax credits are included in the reconciliation bill being debated this week, NOT the infrastructure bill. To anyone interested, the proposed bill has gone to the House ways and means committee where they are voting on amendments/changes. Once the bill gets out of committee we'll see how it looks. (For reference, in Spring the same committee voted along party lines to keep the EV credit)

See pg23: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/site.../Section by Section Subtitle F, G, H, & J.pdf

It is my understanding they kept all the EV provisions in debate on Monday and are set to conclude committee today. I'm sure they'll have some sort of press release covering the issues and any amendments/changes made to original proposal.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The EV tax credits are included in the reconciliation bill being debated this week, NOT the infrastructure bill. To anyone interested, the proposed bill has gone to the House ways and means committee where they are voting on amendments/changes. Once the bill gets out of committee we'll see how it looks. (For reference, in Spring the same committee voted along party lines to keep the EV credit)

See pg23: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/Section by Section Subtitle F, G, H, & J.pdf

It is my understanding they kept all the EV provisions in debate on Monday and are set to conclude committee today. I'm sure they'll have some sort of press release covering the issues and any amendments/changes made to original proposal.
We also need to keep an eye on the debt ceiling debate. Senate Republicans have threatened to vote no on any increase which (worst case) could lead to a US Government default. I doubt it would go there, but they could get major consessions in spending reductions which would kill both the infrastructure bill and the reconciliation bill.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We also need to keep an eye on the debt ceiling debate. Senate Republicans have threatened to vote no on any increase which (worst case) could lead to a US Government default. I doubt it would go there, but they could get major consessions in spending reductions which would kill both the infrastructure bill and the reconciliation bill.
Does a debt ceiling need 60 or a simple majority to be raised? Curious...

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

See pg23: https://waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/Section by Section Subtitle F, G, H, & J.pdf

UPDATE: Proposal passed committee today with no amendments/changes. Looks like full EV credit passed first step.

House panel advances key portion of Democrats' $3.5T bill | TheHill

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Do I understand correctly that this would be eligible for a business 30% tax credit and depreciation, but provision as refundable has not been added (but can be monetized by dealer if purchaser is a non-profit)? Also, that none of the vehicle cost caps exist? If so, a huge advantage to business owners with tax liability.

Also, tit appears charging equipment is also non-refundable, but now 30% up to cap (now $3,333 residential and $100K commercial) with unlimited 20% on remaining costs with no cap?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The interesting part I found was this paragraph:

"The taxpayer may elect to transfer the credit to the vehicle dealer, provider the dealer is registered as an eligible entity with the Secretary, discloses the MSRP, credit amount, associated fees, and the amount to be paid to the taxpayer in the form of a down payment or otherwise with respect to the transfer of credit. The Secretary shall establish a program to make advance payments to any eligible dealer equal to the cumulative amount of transferred credits."

I interpret this to mean the buyer can now utilize the Tax Credit as a Point of Sale discount on the vehicle and the tax credit burden is handled by the Dealer. Meaning the full credit can be immediately utilized like cash, whether or not you actually have enough tax liability. Am I reading that correctly?

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

"The taxpayer may elect to transfer the credit to the vehicle dealer, provider the dealer is registered as an eligible entity with the Secretary, discloses the MSRP, credit amount, associated fees, and the amount to be paid to the taxpayer in the form of a down payment or otherwise with respect to the transfer of credit. The Secretary shall establish a program to make advance payments to any eligible dealer equal to the cumulative amount of transferred credits."

I interpret this to mean the buyer can now utilize the Tax Credit as a Point of Sale discount on the vehicle and the tax credit burden is handled by the Dealer. Meaning the full credit can be immediately utilized like cash, whether or not you actually have enough tax liability. Am I reading that correctly?
I believe so. There is another section that talks about setting up a system where the dealer can process credits (they don't have to use against their own tax liability).

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
The government should NOT be picking good companies and bad companies. They need to make sure the playing field is level for ALL companies. The individual companies/employees should independently determine if unions are good for them.

At the end of the day the rebates should be made available to ALL companies at the same level for the same level of car. IMHO the only difference in rebates should be for US vs NonUS assembly.
I like the way you think. All US companies should get the same incentives, after all, we all pay taxes to our Government which by the way is where the money is coming from. We should all receive the same incentives for the same size/type EV.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

BINGO. Thats exactly it. Instead of waiting until tax time, it becomes essentially a point of sale rebate...dealer goes back later at tax time and claims it. Basically you pass your credit off to the dealer for an instant rebate.

RalpL

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch, 601A, PB, 4x2, AMB/SG
Occupation
Retired
Quick question - I understand the F-150 Lightning getting the tax rebates just like the Teslas used to and when we bought my wife's plug-in hybrid (PHEV). However, I'm wondering why the F-150 PowerBoost full hybrid (HEV) doesn't qualify for anything - other than it's not a PHEV?
Sponsored