Sponsored

Possible issue with ford performance leveling kit.

TXjweav96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 lariat
Occupation
Construction
Hey yall,

I just received my Ford performance leveling kit from stage 3. The box was visibly saturated on one side. When I opened it up, on of the boxes containing one of the rear shocks was oily. I took the shock out and didn't see or feel any oil on it.

Just wondering if i need to have that one replaced before I do my install. I sent stage 3 an email last night but after hours so no reply yet.

Ford F-150 Possible issue with ford performance leveling kit. 20230810_181718

Ford F-150 Possible issue with ford performance leveling kit. 20230810_181725
Sponsored

RobertD

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 King Ranch
The oil could have come from somewhere else. Do a little investigation on the packaging. Can you determine if the oil(?) came from the outside of the package? Did it have a plastic sleeve over the shock? Was it oily on the inside?

The shocks are gas pre-charged if it is leaking oil it would leak all the gas as well. Compare the stiffness of the two shocks it would be a dramatic difference if the gas charge has bled off. Is the one in the bad box react the same when pushed on?

Hopefully it is just oil from somewhere else and not a bad shock

OP
OP
TXjweav96

TXjweav96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 lariat
Occupation
Construction
The oil could have come from somewhere else. Do a little investigation on the packaging. Can you determine if the oil(?) came from the outside of the package? Did it have a plastic sleeve over the shock? Was it oily on the inside?

The shocks are gas pre-charged if it is leaking oil it would leak all the gas as well. Compare the stiffness of the two shocks it would be a dramatic difference if the gas charge has bled off. Is the one in the bad box react the same when pushed on?

Hopefully it is just oil from somewhere else and not a bad shock
Thanks for your reply. I noticed the box was only "wet" on the one side of the shock but the shock itself seemed to be dry and still firm. It was late when I got home and I didn't have too much time to look into it. I'll do further investigation when I get home today.

GIjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 f250
Oil likes to stick to and coat whatever it touches. If the shocks were dry/clean I’d be pretty confident that’s not where it came from and I’d just compare stiffness like said above. You could use something like a tissue on the shock and see if it picks up something your fingers aren’t if you’re really not sure.

jasonistaken

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 1973 F-350 SCS, 2011 E92 M3
This happened to me with the kit I got last week. One of the rear shocks was toast. Had leaked all its oil out. It had no rebound at all.

Summit sent me a replacement 5160, which is supposed to be the same spec, but has a different finish and no Ford branding.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
This happened to me with the kit I got last week. One of the rear shocks was toast. Had leaked all its oil out. It had no rebound at all.

Summit sent me a replacement 5160, which is supposed to be the same spec, but has a different finish and no Ford branding.
Why did you make a claim with Summit and not Ford? Do they make you go back to the retailer?

jasonistaken

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, 1973 F-350 SCS, 2011 E92 M3
Ford hasn’t responded to me in weeks. Summit resolved the issue pretty much immediately.

Jdelgado1991

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150
Occupation
Operator
So how did it turn out were you able to get them instanlled and how was the ride?

OP
OP
TXjweav96

TXjweav96

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 lariat
Occupation
Construction
So how did it turn out were you able to get them instanlled and how was the ride?
Better than factory. Had it set for 2" and got about 2.75". Install was fairly easy.

Jdelgado1991

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150
Occupation
Operator
Oh wow yes I’m still considering that setup I want a better ride than stock strut and a puck
Sponsored