Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
@BoDiddly
I know you did some rounding up and some rounding down for the sake of simplicity.
But I have no reason to believe that the equation itself, and the point you were using it to support isn't legitimate.

Or put another way, maybe in real life it would turn out to be 90,000 or 110,000 to break even. For me personally, it's still just as valid a point.

Having said that, I'm not wired to lose joy over such math. I'm having too much fun with the latest technology laden pick-up truck. This thing would have been science fiction just a few short years ago. So even if the roi for an extended EV range is.... However many years, it's still appealing to me to top off the tank while it's parked in the barn at night rather than at the ExxonMobil pump, if you know what I mean. 🤣
Sponsored

BoDiddly

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Laariat
Occupation
Scientist
Oh. I agree. I will buy the PowerBoost and probably add the plug in part from a third party vendor. The purpose of my post was mainly to show that the 50 HP motor is enough to push the truck down the road.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
You made a lot of assumptions in your math. While it may be technically possible to go that fast with the system provided (I have gone 65+ mph in full electric for a couple miles before actually), you're missing friction, gravity (uphill vs downhill), and drag/wind resistance. Friction and drivetrain losses aren't insignificant, but are likely small compared to the amount of added power needed to push what is essentially a giant box on wheels through air.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Oh. I agree. I will buy the PowerBoost and probably add the plug in part from a third party vendor. The purpose of my post was mainly to show that the 50 HP motor is enough to push the truck down the road.
So far mine will do it up to about 50 MPH in EV mode but for only about 1/3 mile +/- on flat surface before the ICE kicks back in. Anything faster and it stays in ICE mode. Ford could have easily doubled the battery size to allow it further EV driving range between ICE run cycles. They could also allow the EV portion more low end acceleration. The way it is now if a gnat farts on the gas pedal when accelerating in EV mode the ICE fires up... Kind of annoying.
Sponsored