First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
The standard tires were rated at 40psi. So,,now I’m wondering what PSI I should stop at? Should I go to 60? 65? 70? I’m gonna stay at 55psi for a little longer and see if anyone has any input before I change it.
you can take this with a grain of salt, but this is my take on the air pressure.

I have run 8ply rated tires on my 98 Chev K1500 since I bought it and maintained 50-55psi in them all the time unless I plan to really tax the payload of the pickup. And it has been ridiculously loaded more than once.
When I bought new tires for it a couple of years ago, the tire people only filled to 35-40, and even unladen the ride seemed too mushy for me.
I have filled them to 65+ just to see what it would feel like and unladen it was not pleasant at all, and this truck rides real nice and absorbs bumps nicely.
However, 50-55 seems to be the sweet spot for ride comfort and normal type filling up the truck.
Rides nice without being mushy, will carry a reasonable load, tires stay round for less drag, and I actually get better fuel mileage than with then filled to 40 and under.
anything over 55 will likely affect ride/comfort, two items that are important to me.
Have to say tho, this new truck rides nice, but not nearly as nice as the older one. But it does feel a lot more responsive and positive in it‘s footing.
Sponsored

Last edited:

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
The Tire Pressure Calculator directed me to change my factory recommended 35psi on my original factory tires, to 45psi on my new larger size. I noticed an immediate increase in fuel economy.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Watch your tire wear when increasing pressure. Also check the contact patch of the tire. You may get better fuel economy, but it'll start wearing faster in the center versus evenly across the tread. It will also reduce the amount of rubber on the road affecting braking distance and handling.
Any suggestions on tire pressure?
Factory was 40 PSI Max
Nitto Terra G2 80 PSI Max
Recently I added air from 40 psi to 52psi. Thoughts or suggestions? Thx!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I don't have a good suggestion for you unfortunately. I did read a great article previously on how to pick a good time pressure, but I don't remember when or where it was.

Best thing I could recommend is too get a paint pen and draw a line maybe ½-1" wide, square across the tread. Drive around a few miles and see if it's wearing away evenly. If it's favoring the middle, you're over-inflated. If it's worn more on the outsides, under-inflated. Repeat the process as you increase or decrease the pressure based on how it wears the paint. Ideally, it will disappear relatively evenly across the tread. Given the weight distribution in the truck, the front tires may need a different pressure than the rears as well.

DonF

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost Hybrid F150
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 F150. I have literally been driving so conservative and slow that I cannot believe my license has not been revoked. First 700
Plus miles I reset fuel economy twice. Best I could get was 22 mpg at 67 mph on cruise on flat land. I had a very professional 3” lift kit and leveling with slightly larger Terra Grapplers G2 and now I’m getting 16.5. Will someone tell me how i am supposed to drive this hybrid?
Thank you in advance!
Scott.
No modifications from my factory delivered Powerboost F150.
I was initially driving cautiously to learn what worked best for the hybrid efficiency. Now at around 1200 miles I am driving my normal ways. My average is around 19.9mpg. I got my best a couple nights ago on a 12 minute ride in a rural town...38.9mpg! I will likely never see that again but it was satisfying to see. I was getting 17.7 average with my 2016 F1-5 EcoBoost so I feel like getting 12%-15% better on average is a good start for Ford. Remember, no plug in so the improvement is really self produced. I was expecting to get 22 - 24 mpg average. Maybe I'll get to that point. Also, I have noticed that at around 7 minutes into a ride I surpass the 17.7mpg that I used to get. Maybe over time they will push some software updates to improve the efficiency. Maybe I'm dreaming.
Sponsored