First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
21 Lariat with 1200 miles now. I'm not at all happy with its gas mileage. My best mpg is 19.8 driving like grandma. I would love to know how they got 24 city and highway. Maybe I need hybrid driving lessons.
Sponsored

LTDXLT

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT
Actually my ride quality is good. Noise is acceptable. I’ve been told to put more air in my tires to match what Nitto says and not Ford. Honestly, I’m still trying to figure this all out. I can say to anyone who is reading this. When my truck was 100% stock, I did not get anywhere near 24mpg consistently. If I went into Eco-mode and went 57 mph with the cruise on it was close. If I drove the truck anywhere near normal my fuel economy (stock) was not very good.
How do you like the 3" lift? Got any pics?

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
21 Lariat with 1200 miles now. I'm not at all happy with its gas mileage. My best mpg is 19.8 driving like grandma. I would love to know how they got 24 city and highway. Maybe I need hybrid driving lessons.
100% same for me. I totally understand putting a 3” lift would hurt my mpg, but this Powerboost as far as fuel economy is a joke. Total joke. Great truck! My 2019 Raptor did about the same. I did add air to my tires just today. They were set at 40 psi (manufacture) and these Nitto Terra Grappler G2 says 80 psi max load. I set them at 52 from 40. So I added 12 pounds of air. A Ford Rep told me see how 52 goes and after another tank of gas go to 57 psi. No idea if he knows what he is talking about but I’m trying. Let me know if Ford offers instructions on how to drive the Powerboost. Love the truck. Love the power. Smooth. Fuel economy is a joke.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I think at 55 MPH with 91-93 octane non ethanol gas you’d get 24. Speed up and lose efficiency, proportional to the square of speed. 10% ethanol will lower your mileage 1-2 MPG. 87 also would lower your mileage another 1-2 mpg. This is about what I observe: roughly 21 MPG with crappy CA 87 ethanol at 65-72 MPG. And this is for an entirely stock Powerboost on stock tires.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
I think at 55 MPH with 91-93 octane non ethanol gas you’d get 24. Speed up and lose efficiency, proportional to the square of speed. 10% ethanol will lower your mileage 1-2 MPG. 87 also would lower your mileage another 1-2 mpg. This is about what I observe: roughly 21 MPG with crappy CA 87 ethanol at 65-72 MPG. And this is for an entirely stock Powerboost on stock tires.
I agree. I actually drive relatively conservatively. Basically just the speed limit or a little over. With that being said I feel deceived by Ford that I have to drive on cruise at 55 mph in Eco mode to get “decent” fuel economy. I cannot believe Ford is not aware of this. My 19 Raptor would be in 10th gear at 43 mph. On my Powerboost at 43 mph I’m in 8th gear. I’m praying there is a major firmware update coming to address some of these issues. Like I said, I love the truck. I’m just so stupid that I actually thought I would be getting better fuel economy. Not...?

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
The fuel economy numbers did not come from Ford.

They came from the EPA.

They are estimated numbers, derived from standard tests that the EPA performs on the factory supplied vehicle(s).

Your Mileage May Vary.

DavidB

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I have the 2021 Platinum f150 Powerboost and I am getting 22 city and 21.5 highway.
it’s possible that the mileage will increase as it breaks in.
I am also curious if we can upgrade the batteries as they become more powerful,
for added mileage.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO

They came from the EPA.

They are estimated numbers, derived from standard tests that the EPA performs on the factory supplied vehicle(s).

Your Mileage May Vary.
True. And very good point.

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist
100% same for me. I totally understand putting a 3” lift would hurt my mpg, but this Powerboost as far as fuel economy is a joke. Total joke. Great truck! My 2019 Raptor did about the same. I did add air to my tires just today. They were set at 40 psi (manufacture) and these Nitto Terra Grappler G2 says 80 psi max load. I set them at 52 from 40. So I added 12 pounds of air. A Ford Rep told me see how 52 goes and after another tank of gas go to 57 psi. No idea if he knows what he is talking about but I’m trying. Let me know if Ford offers instructions on how to drive the Powerboost. Love the truck. Love the power. Smooth. Fuel economy is a joke.
This is not true. In order to get the 24/24 with the stock car you need to be gentle on the throttle and brake and as has been mentioned coax into electric only as much as possible. At highway speeds the rake is important and works in conjunction with the front active spoiler. Drag force increases as speed squared so wind and speed all play a role. A 3 inch lift and large tires... forget about it. And hook up a 8000 pound trailer with 1000 pounds of cargo your nose will be in the air! There is at least one thread devoted toPB MPG it has lots of good stuff in it. Here’s my stats at first fill all normal mode. My overall now is 24.2 with 2000 miles just as tested by the feds. King ranch FX4 with Max tow package etc.

Ford F-150 PLEASE HELP! 58C8FA62-532C-479D-A9C0-6B9392993789

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
This is not true. In order to get the 24/24 with the stock car you need to be gentle on the throttle and brake and as has been mentioned coax into electric only as much as possible. At highway speeds the rake is important and works in conjunction with the front active spoiler. Drag force increases as speed squared so wind and speed all play a role. A 3 inch lift and large tires... forget about it. And hook up a 8000 pound trailer with 1000 pounds of cargo your nose will be in the air! There is at least one thread devoted toPB MPG it has lots of good stuff in it. Here’s my stats at first fill all normal mode. My overall now is 24.2 with 2000 miles just as tested by the feds. King ranch FX4 with Max tow package etc.

58C8FA62-532C-479D-A9C0-6B9392993789.jpeg
Thank you for this information sir!

ryken

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Sport; '19 Honda Odyssey
I’ve found that coaxing it into ev only is more important than driving like a total grandma. I’m not saying floor it at every light, but I get about the same mileage driving like a grandma as I do using average acceleration to get up to speed and then coaxing it into ev. Also, getting 100% braking regeneration at every stop (turn on the brake coach alert) really helps too because you get ev only mode for longer.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired

They came from the EPA.

Your Mileage May Vary.
This is not correct. EPA only spot-checks vehicle efficiency numbers after the fact, and only on a small subset of cars and trucks that are produced. They actually test very few vehicles. The manufacturers do the tests themselves using the EPA cycle parameters and put the numbers on the window stickers (called the Monroney sticker) with no input from the EPA whatsoever (other than using the required testing protocols specified by the EPA to arrive at the numbers).

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
This is not correct. EPA only spot-checks vehicle efficiency numbers after the fact, and only on a small subset of cars and trucks that are produced. They actually test very few vehicles. The manufacturers do the tests themselves using the EPA cycle parameters and put the numbers on the window stickers (called the Monroney sticker) with no input from the EPA whatsoever (other than using the required testing protocols specified by the EPA to arrive at the numbers).
Thank you! Excellent information. On a side note I aired up my tires from 40psi to 55psi and my fuel economy jumped up. The Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 say they can go 80psi max. The standard tires were rated at 40psi. So,,now I’m wondering what PSI I should stop at? Should I go to 60? 65? 70? I’m gonna stay at 55psi for a little longer and see if anyone has any input before I change it.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Thank you! Excellent information. On a side note I aired up my tires from 40psi to 55psi and my fuel economy jumped up. The Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 say they can go 80psi max. The standard tires were rated at 40psi. So,,now I’m wondering what PSI I should stop at? Should I go to 60? 65? 70? I’m gonna stay at 55psi for a little longer and see if anyone has any input before I change it.
Watch your tire wear when increasing pressure. Also check the contact patch of the tire. You may get better fuel economy, but it'll start wearing faster in the center versus evenly across the tread. It will also reduce the amount of rubber on the road affecting braking distance and handling.
Sponsored