First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
No problem. If I got you correctly, you were getting 23mpg stock and now 22mpg with the lift and upgrades? That’s pretty good overall! Again the PowerBoost’s strength is city driving because of that battery and it saves the gas as you constantly have to accelerate from stop and go. I think I’ve seen a few sources it on some occasions gets less on the highway than city driving.
Sorry, lack of sleep...
23 factory ( 1 time )
21 most of the time
17 or less now.
And I drive very delicately to see what MPG I could get. Sorry for poor explanation. Worked night shift last night.
Sponsored

john.noonan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, VW GTI
Occupation
IT Project Manager
I assume that you just got your truck and you won't see the best MPG you could see for often at least 1000 miles. Also, besides flat vs hilly surfaces, wind also affects MPG. However, it is rare in any car to get exactly what the sticker says, your numbers look similar to other numbers that I have seen for the trucks. I look forward to my Platinum with PowerBoost, and if I average 21 to 23 MPG I will be thrilled. My 2019 with EcoBoost 3.5 averages about 16.5.

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The lift and leveling are going to hurt, as are larger/heavier tires. If you want the best mileage , don't lift/level, and stick with the factory tires.

jabrego

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4X4 Lariat 501A Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry, lack of sleep...
23 factory ( 1 time )
21 most of the time
17 or less now.
And I drive very delicately to see what MPG I could get. Sorry for poor explanation. Worked night shift last night.
What mode are you driving? ECO? I was using ECO to try to get the best MPG's, but was only getting around 18MPGs around Los Angeles area. I was being careful to maximize electric mode. THen I decided to go back to Normal mode and not focus on getting good mileage. Guess what! i'm getting 21-24MPGs.

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
I was getting 21 mpg before my level and larger tires. I live in rural VA so I didn't expect to get 24 mpg. I hardly drive in the city and hardly any highway/interstate driving. After the level and tires I can get 18-19 mpg if I try, but got tired of trying so I just drive like I want to and get about 17 mpg. If the speedo was calibrated I imagine it would be a bit better.

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I assume that you just got your truck and you won't see the best MPG you could see for often at least 1000 miles. Also, besides flat vs hilly surfaces, wind also affects MPG. However, it is rare in any car to get exactly what the sticker says, your numbers look similar to other numbers that I have seen for the trucks. I look forward to my Platinum with PowerBoost, and if I average 21 to 23 MPG I will be thrilled. My 2019 with EcoBoost 3.5 averages about 16.5.
Possibly this too. ? I’ve only got about 250 miles on mine so far. Was averaging 5mpgs the first week/100 miles now I’m up around 11-12mpg.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Possibly this too. ? I’ve only got about 250 miles on mine so far. Was averaging 5mpgs the first week/100 miles now I’m up around 11-12mpg.
Thank you

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Also, I know it hasn't been mentioned, but did you/technician reprogram the new tire sizing into the computer? Also, you might want to manually calculate your MPG on your own between your fill-ups.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Also, I know it hasn't been mentioned, but did you/technician reprogram the new tire sizing into the computer? Also, you might want to manually calculate your MPG on your own between your fill-ups.
I never thought about that. Great idea.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
To get 24 you would have had to do all city driving, 45-50 mph, which is the sweet spot for hybrids, staying as much as possible in pure electric mode. Use the eco-coach. Adding lift is like driving around with a parachute all the time, defeats any PB benefit except the P (power) part.

Sponsored

Rich1982

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT/302A
Occupation
Semi retired
I apologize but I do not know what a rake is? I just went to the best 4x4 shop in the area and did 3” lift and leveling kit and of course beefed up the tires and wheels. If I was getting 24mpg with factory setup then I would not even be asking. I’m not very close to what Ford says....?
I think the 24mpg is under perfect conditions on a base F150 (which model do you have? taller wider tires of the higher trims will reduce mpg, then adding even bigger/heavier will reduce more).
On the new tires what inflation pressure are they set to? I added 275/65r20 Terra G2's (no lift/level) and the Ford dealer set them at 35 psi - I increased to 46 PSI (based on specs from talking to Nitto rep) and my mpg on the 3.5ECO is averaging about 21mpg (at lower psi I was getting ~ 20mpg although only about 80 miles)

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
I think the 24mpg is under perfect conditions on a base F150 (which model do you have? taller wider tires of the higher trims will reduce mpg, then adding even bigger/heavier will reduce more).
On the new tires what inflation pressure are they set to? I added 275/65r20 Terra G2's (no lift/level) and the Ford dealer set them at 35 psi - I increased to 46 PSI (based on specs from talking to Nitto rep) and my mpg on the 3.5ECO is averaging about 21mpg (at lower psi I was getting ~ 20mpg although only about 80 miles)
I have a Platinum FX4. Not sure on tire pressure? I’ll look. I guess my main complaint is when the truck was 100% stock it was getting 21 mpg with Powerboost. I did get 23 mpg once going slow in right lane. My mpg keeps dropping. I’m at 17.0 as of this morning

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
I have a 2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 F150. I have literally been driving so conservative and slow that I cannot believe my license has not been revoked. First 700
Plus miles I reset fuel economy twice. Best I could get was 22 mpg at 67 mph on cruise on flat land. I had a very professional 3” lift kit and leveling with slightly larger Terra Grapplers G2 and now I’m getting 16.5. Will someone tell me how i am supposed to drive this hybrid?
Thank you in advance!
Scott.
You also need to put 1500-2000 miles on any vehicle to start getting the higher MPG. It seems like that amount of miles is the sweet spot for MPG gains. Also don't ever expect to get the MPG listed that number is always BEST case scenario.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Ford considers efficiency to be a bonus, not necessarily a feature of the Powerboost. Remember that without Electric-Only mode, you are basically driving a 3.5L Ecoboost with a couple of hundred pounds of ballast mounted to it (via the battery). And it's on a 3.73 gearing as well, which is opposite of what you want for efficiency.

Your truck also has the aerodynamics of a billboard. When you raise the truck up, you're making it less aerodynamic and increasing the overall drag on the truck, which it has to fight against.
When you put on larger wheels on the truck, you are also increasing the torque required to spin the wheels, which the engine has to work harder to spin.

In order for this truck to get the advertised MPG, it absolutely relies on you getting it into Electric Only mode as much as you possibly can. Because the electric motors generate only about 50 HP by themselves, they need as much help as you can give them so they can move the truck. Unfortunately, I suspect that this means that mods that hurt efficiency are probably felt more on the Powerboost than on non-PB models. Especially for heavier versions of this truck, like Platinum trims with all the goodies weighing it down.

Here's some quick tips on how to try to improve your MPG:

• Charging the battery as much as you can (light braking as early as possible, coasting as much as possible)
  • Staying out of headwinds
  • Keeping your tires aired up (air them to their manufacturer's spec, not to Ford's specs)
  • Not driving over 70 MPH. Sweet spot seems to be 55 - 60 MPH

I've found that on straightaways, it's more efficient to burst speed and then try to invoke electric mode with a light brake tap and coast with that. This works well when the battery is near a full charge...but if it's not there then the engine is going to come on more often than not. Ford doesn't show you the charge of the battery...just something you gotta get a feel for.

Also, breaking in the truck seems to improve MPG. Most people are seeing the best results I think after about 1500 miles.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Ford considers efficiency to be a bonus, not necessarily a feature of the Powerboost. Remember that without Electric-Only mode, you are basically driving a 3.5L Ecoboost with a couple of hundred pounds of ballast mounted to it (via the battery). And it's on a 3.73 gearing as well, which is opposite of what you want for efficiency.

Your truck also has the aerodynamics of a billboard. When you raise the truck up, you're making it less aerodynamic and increasing the overall drag on the truck, which it has to fight against.
When you put on larger wheels on the truck, you are also increasing the torque required to spin the wheels, which the engine has to work harder to spin.

In order for this truck to get the advertised MPG, it absolutely relies on you getting it into Electric Only mode as much as you possibly can. Because the electric motors generate only about 50 HP by themselves, they need as much help as you can give them so they can move the truck. Unfortunately, I suspect that this means that mods that hurt efficiency are probably felt more on the Powerboost than on non-PB models. Especially for heavier versions of this truck, like Platinum trims with all the goodies weighing it down.

Here's some quick tips on how to try to improve your MPG:

• Charging the battery as much as you can (light braking as early as possible, coasting as much as possible)
  • Staying out of headwinds
  • Keeping your tires aired up (air them to their manufacturer's spec, not to Ford's specs)
  • Not driving over 70 MPH. Sweet spot seems to be 55 - 60 MPH

I've found that on straightaways, it's more efficient to burst speed and then try to invoke electric mode with a light brake tap and coast with that. This works well when the battery is near a full charge...but if it's not there then the engine is going to come on more often than not. Ford doesn't show you the charge of the battery...just something you gotta get a feel for.

Also, breaking in the truck seems to improve MPG. Most people are seeing the best results I think after about 1500 miles.
Awesome stuff. Thx!
Sponsored