First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
I have a 2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 F150. I have literally been driving so conservative and slow that I cannot believe my license has not been revoked. First 700
Plus miles I reset fuel economy twice. Best I could get was 22 mpg at 67 mph on cruise on flat land. I had a very professional 3” lift kit and leveling with slightly larger Terra Grapplers G2 and now I’m getting 16.5. Will someone tell me how i am supposed to drive this hybrid?
Thank you in advance!
Scott.
Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
That's what to expect with lift kits. You are likely getting a bit better mpg because you are actually traveling farther than your odometer indicates.
Google lift kits and bad mpg.... You'll get pages

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Any lift or tires different from OEM will affect your overall mileage per gallon, typically not for the better either.

The PowerBoost is rated for 24mpg city and highway stock, so with such a dramatic change to the suspension (your 3” lift and new tires) I’d say 22mpg is pretty good anyhow. You’ll really notice a difference with the PowerBoost in city traffic where that lift would likely put you into the teens with any other engine in the lineup, you may be able to keep it over 20mpg in the city with the PowerBoost.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
That's what to expect with lift kits. You are likely getting a bit better mpg because you are actually traveling farther than your odometer indicates.
Google lift kits and bad mpg.... You

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
I appreciate your insight. I knew I would lose some mph. I’m just a little disappointed that the first 785 miles I was only getting 21 on average and 23 at my best. And that was driving like a senior citizen. Now I’m less then 17 mph which is not terrible with lift. I just have a suspicion I have something set wrong or need to change my driving habits to maximize the Powerboost.
Thank you

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Any lift or tires different from OEM will affect your overall mileage per gallon, typically not for the better either.

The PowerBoost is rated for 24mpg city and highway stock, so with such a dramatic change to the suspension (your 3” lift and new tires) I’d say 22mpg is pretty good anyhow. You’ll really notice a difference with the PowerBoost in city traffic where that lift would likely put you into the teens with any other engine in the lineup, you may be able to keep it over 20mpg in the city with the PowerBoost.
Thanks for you taking the time for me. Im convinced that I’m either driving this Hybrid wrong or something. Remember, I got 23mpg one time going 67 mph in 10th gear with cruise and factory tires and wheels. That was just one time. I’m hoping I have a setting wrong or firmware update or change my driving. Idk? Scott.

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Is it a level lift or do you still have rake ?

Which size did you go with and LT or P type ?
Oh boy. I just sold my home and not remembering everything. Lol. I hate moving. I think I did 295/60/20? Terra Grappler G2. The 4x4 shop has a great reputation for quality. To be honest I struggled to get over 21-22 with factory set up. Now, I’m at 17 and still dropping. Any chance it’s my driving style or a specific setting? I don’t drive my truck hard. At least not yet....

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Oh boy. I just sold my home and not remembering everything. Lol. I hate moving. I think I did 295/60/20? Terra Grappler G2. The 4x4 shop has a great reputation for quality. To be honest I struggled to get over 21-22 with factory set up. Now, I’m at 17 and still dropping. Any chance it’s my driving style or a specific setting? I don’t drive my truck hard. At least not yet....
I apologize but I do not know what a rake is? I just went to the best 4x4 shop in the area and did 3” lift and leveling kit and of course beefed up the tires and wheels. If I was getting 24mpg with factory setup then I would not even be asking. I’m not very close to what Ford says....?

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
Most likely has nothing to do with the shop being professional or not. Just as the other posters have mentioned, adding 3" of lift, leveling, and adding about 20lbs per tire have all attributed to losing 3-4mpgs.

Sponsored

Trashman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Just for added comment (no lift kit or tire change) I too have been driving like Grandma and getting overall 19 mpg. It has been getting better after 1000 miles plus and found that the sweet spot is a mix of city highway miles between 45- 65 mph and get 23 mpg and just driving normal. My worst are short trips to store (unless all downhill )and 75 mph

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
Most likely has nothing to do with the shop being professional or not. Just as the other posters have mentioned, adding 3" of lift, leveling, and adding about 20lbs per tire have all attributed to losing 3-4mpgs.
Ok, I understand. And thank you. I do wonder why I never saw 24 with factory set up. Unless I drove in the right lane going below the speed limit. Maybe I just need to drive it more normal. I “rarely” see the hybrid electric motor kick on so I’m possibly attributing that to my driving style I guess?

OP
OP
ScottyD

ScottyD

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost
Occupation
CEO
It's like eating 2 cheeseburgers 3 times a day for a week and asking why the scale shows 20lbs gained. ;)
Lol, true. Fortunately I am allergic to cheese! ?

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Thanks for you taking the time for me. Im convinced that I’m either driving this Hybrid wrong or something. Remember, I got 23mpg one time going 67 mph in 10th gear with cruise and factory tires and wheels. That was just one time. I’m hoping I have a setting wrong or firmware update or change my driving. Idk? Scott.

No problem. If I got you correctly, you were getting 23mpg stock and now 22mpg with the lift and upgrades? That’s pretty good overall! Again the PowerBoost’s strength is city driving because of that battery and it saves the gas as you constantly have to accelerate from stop and go. I think I’ve seen a few sources it on some occasions gets less on the highway than city driving.
Sponsored