First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PB, 4X4, LB, Iconic Silver
Occupation
LE
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Massaging seats (I mean...it sounds gimmicky)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)
- Power extended running boards
- "Platinum" tailgate and badges

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)

Platinum On Lot
Yes. I have a 2016 Platinum and ordered a 2021 Platinum. It’s worth it. I love it myself, it has every option and is a tank on the outside.
Sponsored

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LE
The B&O Unleashed sound system is drop-dead awesome. I am a bit of an audiophile and this is better than any vehicle i've heard. Because music is so important to me, it tipped me over. Plus i like the nice look and feel of the leather. Just an upscale touch which i enjoy. don't care what anyone else thinks... i love this truck.
I can’t wait for my 2021 Plat to hear the stereo.

john.noonan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150, VW GTI
Occupation
IT Project Manager
I am happy about my choice for the Platty. The upgraded interior would be enough for me to justify it alone. I have read mixed reviews regarding the wireless charging pad, but I am excited to have that too. I also think that the Platty has the best looking grill.

Markl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Cabinet maker
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order

Platinum On Lot
I have ordered the platinum which should be here on the 21st. It was my first choice as the interior is a huge step up from the lariat trim. I am also not a fan of a lot of chrome, so with the body color bumpers and 95% satin chrome grille it was the way to go for me, plus by the time I was done building a lariat to spec, the price difference was minimal. Toss a coin, and if you are disappointed with the outcome, go for the other one! They are all pretty cool trucks and you will win either way!

kenpitt

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150
Occupation
retired
I also went Platinum, there quite a few reasons when I was doing my search. You all mentioned some, I know the upgraded headlights was on my list as well. I had a pretty long list that made it worth it.
I ordered a Lariet on oct. 2 and when i had no word on it by nov.18th i changed it to a platinum, well i'm now told i may have my truck by july 16th. So I don't know I can't get my truck.

Sponsored

Hudnut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Auto industry
I just got my Platinum 2 weeks ago. I just did a 4 hour trip with the kids and it was a fantastic drive. my initial impressions are that the copilot 360 is a gamechanger even in its current form. stop and go traffic turns into nothing as the truck basically drives itself. It sounds like there will be some updates soon that lets the truck drive without touching the wheel every min or so. I will say I was skeptical of the massaging seats but after some use I can see the benefit. long stints driving usually require lots of moving around and adjusting to keep your ass from falling asleep. the massaging makes it more tolerable.

pierowman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer Titanium 2016, F150 Platinum 2021
For me its about the active motion seats, love these for long road trips. I actually like the look of the blacked out lariats but no active motion seats not even as an option :(

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
4 pages into your question I am sure you don't need any more advice, but...get the Platinum. The tailgate is polarizing for some, I get it. Some folks don't like the wheels, but I love mine; especially with the bigger tires. The interior is really well done and very comfortable. The wireless charger is...well don't buy it for that. I have seen a few Platinum's on the road (or perhaps the same two guys in a black and white truck over and over) and it catches my attention every single time. They just look more 'upmarket' compared to the Lariat inside and out.

RB82

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
LE
When I was driving my SIL's Platty and he turned on the heat and the massage I told him after a day of duck hunting I would fall asleep on the way home. Trying not to get too pumped up about it getting here on time after hearing all the horror stories on the wait times. Ordered 3/9 and according to my paperwork it was a priority 80. But I do have my fingers crossed for the 5/19-5/25 that Ford.com says it will get here.
Did it show up?

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
Did it show up?
ETA shifted to 6/6, neither tracker showed it shipping. I looked on Palsapp on the 24th and it changed from pending to dispatched. Checked it again on the 25th and it showed delivered, went to the two trackers and they showed delivered. Went to my dealership and my truck was there but in the back. They said the truck driver had a blowout and the tread hit my truck. They are replacing the front air dam and drivers side headlight glass and repainting the bumper. A week to get parts, I was hoping to drive it to NC to see family but cutting it close may have to wait until I get back to pick it up. If it was raining $100 bills I would get hit with a penny.

Sponsored

ejosterberg

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F-150 Platinum, 17 Explorer Limited, 11 Edge
Occupation
Engineer
Platinum with massaging seats! Well worth it on my 30 hour drive this past weekend. I waited a long time for BlueCruise and learned on the trip that it's disabled when you have a trailer attached, but the trip was still a dream. So much easier than in my old Chevy. I did catch 3 hours of sleep in the lay flat seats, but they could be more comfortable. But holy cow I love the massage. I can go much further before taking a break and I can walk easily when I get up after 6 hours behind the wheel. In the old truck I was sore and breaking every 3 hours to stretch. Old truck needed fuel every 3 hours too. My platinum can go much further between stops! Just turned over 10k pulling up in the driveway at home.
PS: Cheated after 15 hours of the 30 hour trip. Bought a 2 pound wrist weight and hung that on the steering wheel. Worked great. Lane centering and adaptive cruise control, speed limit sign recognition, I was able to coast right through small towns without ever lifting my feet off the floor.
So worth it!

RJL1400

First Name
Big Red
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
formerly had 2008 Toyota Tundra
Occupation
retired

Lariat Order

Platinum On Lot
Doesn’t seem worth the extra money so depends on how desperate you are. 10k is an awful lot of money.

jiggadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Series
had a plat 350, waiting on a lariat f-150. for me i think most of the changes are aesthetic rather than an upgrade. massage seats are nice, but not worth it to me.

if i could have got an xlt with led lights, memory seat function and adaptive cruise (not sure if that is available on xlt, but didn't think so) i would have because i prefer the cloth seats to leather. it'd be nice if ford was more flexible with the options instead of going with packages.
Sponsored