Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
@Lpetters84 -

Ha! I went into this adventure planning to buy an AMB Powerboost Limited. When I did the Excel scenario comparisons, adding optional features to the Platty and Lariat, the price difference was a lot less than I’d expected. Ultimately, for me anyway, it mostly came down to looks (and the fact that you can’t get FX4 on the Limited). ‘Sounds like you had a similar experience.

Best.
Yes sir. Drove my wife nuts. Now she gets mad because all I do is watch F150 YouTube videos haha.
Sponsored

narumysore

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Went with Platinum because my better half didn’t want me to buy a truck in the first place! I showed her a Carmelo Interior on the dealer lot and she agreed. have to keep the truck away from her when it finally arrives???!!

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I just have a Lariat and my teenage kids give me sh*t for buying a “fancy” truck. Imagine if I had a Platinum or Limited.

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
If the current s

i thought I was the only one who put together an excel file with multiple scenarios haha. I completely agree. The Platinum is a good choice for the packages/upgrades you receive. I went into the whole process wanting a King Ranch but turns out the Platinum is slightly cheaper because the platinum package includes more of the items I wanted that had to be added to the KR.
Hell - I build a multi-variate regression analysis when I shop for used cars so that I can find the best value. Embrace the nerd.

Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Hell - I build a multi-variate regression analysis when I shop for used cars so that I can find the best value. Embrace the nerd.
@2AActuary - of course you do - you are a trained professional, an actuary! I’m just an engineer, so linear equations work just fine. ?

narumysore

First Name
Naren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The owners manual says we cannot remove the front seat headrest if equipped with B&O unleashed. Has anybody tried removing theirs? Is it easy? Will the audio system still play if it is removed?

OP
OP
F150Eh

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
The owners manual says we cannot remove the front seat headrest if equipped with B&O unleashed. Has anybody tried removing theirs? Is it easy? Will the audio system still play if it is removed?
I don't know for sure, but its likely because there's a speaker *in* the headrest, so might be an issue with how its wired that prevents the removal.

OP
OP
F150Eh

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Thanks for all the replies to this thread everyone! So in the end, we ended up going with a 21 F150 XLT. It's not as fancy as the Platinum but I'm still REALLY impressed at what it comes with. No leather but it definitely doesn't feel cheap, and it looks great! Love all the passion people have here about their trucks! :)
Ford F-150 Platinum Owners - Worth the Upcharge? XLTSideSmall

7cbreeze

First Name
Cass
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Lincoln mkz , Sold 2011 King Ranch F350 ,6.7
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Platinum Here also , Of course the 6.5 bed and a wait to build ,, At my age and the miles { hours } I drive still the seats made it for me , plus the overall materials upgrade they use..

Sponsored

Mnfirechief

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Fire Chief
I received my new Platinum F150 from the dealer at the end of March here in Iowa. I drove the Limited that the owner of the dealership claimed for himself, but I did'nt think it was worth the extra money. The Lariat would have worked for me as well, but I am glad I waited for the Platinum. All these trucks are overpriced, but they are in such demand that I dont think you will be able to find a good deal or extra rebates anytime soon. I love the truck and I do use the massaging seats on long drives. I do get lots of comments from people when I park the truck at the grocery store. I have the Powerboost with the 7.2KW generator option, which was important to me for off the grid camping.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Platinum here. Two other considerations not mentioned so far:

1) Adaptive steering... Really like this feature. Easy parking lot maneuvering and great highway feel. 2) Resale. Look at KBB.COM for a 5 year old Lariat vs Platinum.. Same miles. $3-4K more. Even with the options on the Lariat added in (some dealers won't count when you trade) there is still a big difference.

So for me the Platinum is free since I get the $ back upon sale/trade. And get to enjoy all these features while I have it.

Jim

Sadram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, BMW 135 I cab, Ford fiesta
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Massaging seats (I mean...it sounds gimmicky)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)
- Power extended running boards
- "Platinum" tailgate and badges

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)

Platinum On Lot
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)
Same here, ordered the platinum because with the options there was only two grand difference and I’m getting a much nicer truck . . . For some it’s not but for me it is

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Platinum here. Two other considerations not mentioned so far:

1) Adaptive steering... Really like this feature. Easy parking lot maneuvering and great highway feel. 2) Resale. Look at KBB.COM for a 5 year old Lariat vs Platinum.. Same miles. $3-4K more. Even with the options on the Lariat added in (some dealers won't count when you trade) there is still a big difference.

So for me the Platinum is free since I get the $ back upon sale/trade. And get to enjoy all these features while I have it.

Jim
Brilliant rationalization! (y)

RWATE

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
The B&O Unleashed sound system is drop-dead awesome. I am a bit of an audiophile and this is better than any vehicle i've heard. Because music is so important to me, it tipped me over. Plus i like the nice look and feel of the leather. Just an upscale touch which i enjoy. don't care what anyone else thinks... i love this truck.
Sponsored