Platinum Owners - Worth the Upcharge?

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I went with a Platinum because I liked the interior. There are some other savings with the Platinum. For example, the PowerBoost is a 2500$ option with the Platinum but 3300$ with the Lariat. More limited colors is the biggest limitation of the Platinum I think.
Sponsored

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I was set on the Lariat but the Husband wanted the Platinum. He has a 2011 Lariat and always regretted not spending the extra to step it up.

If you drive long distance, the massage seats are nice. I just got back from a 3k road trip and I used the seats quite often on the long days.

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
When I was driving my SIL's Platty and he turned on the heat and the massage I told him after a day of duck hunting I would fall asleep on the way home. Trying not to get too pumped up about it getting here on time after hearing all the horror stories on the wait times. Ordered 3/9 and according to my paperwork it was a priority 80. But I do have my fingers crossed for the 5/19-5/25 that Ford.com says it will get here.

2AActuary

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Plat, Bronco; Audi R8, S5, Q7; Cayenne
Another vote for the Platinum. For me, that was the sweet spot in the trim packages. Someone else noted that the Limited was a little over the top - and me personally, I don't care for the interior gray of the Limited. I very much enjoy the extra features that come bundled in the Platinum trim package.

I have 3,800 miles on mine already and haven't regretted the purchase one second.

I really feel for the guys having major production delays. My build took 13 weeks, which while longer than is 'normal', most people would jump at right now. I feel pretty fortunate that mine came in when it did.

Sponsored

Codge24

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Plarinum, 2019 CRV 2021 & toys galore
I had a 14 platinum and loved it, when I was pricing out trims I could have gotten every option and more in a lariat that I was used to in the 14, but after many discussions the deciding factor was the massaging seats, talked to a few people that have them and all loved them. We drive 10 1/2 hrs (1 way) to see our grandkids a few times a year and the thought of not looking like a dog humping a football when I climb out if the cab at the end of the day sealed it for us.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Massaging seats (I mean...it sounds gimmicky)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)
- Power extended running boards
- "Platinum" tailgate and badges

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)

Platinum On Lot
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)
@F150Eh -

Before making that choice, I built a spreadsheet comparing features and costs in order to do a like-for-like comparison.

The Platty does cost more than the Lariat but you do get more included for the price.
  • B&O Unleashed
  • 360 degree camera
  • CoPilot 360
  • Tow Technology pkg
  • Power Tailgate w Step
  • Deploble RB’s

Apples-to-Apples, the Platinum was $2700 more after upgrading the Lariat. Ultimately, I chose the Platinum because I felt the interior was so far superior. Is that worth the $2700 more cost? Probably not but I wanted what I wanted. It always comes dow to personal taste.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Another vote for the Platinum. For me, that was the sweet spot in the trim packages. Someone else noted that the Limited was a little over the top - and me personally, I don't care for the interior gray of the Limited. I very much enjoy the extra features that come bundled in the Platinum trim package.

I have 3,800 miles on mine already and haven't regretted the purchase one second.

I really feel for the guys having major production delays. My build took 13 weeks, which while longer than is 'normal', most people would jump at right now. I feel pretty fortunate that mine came in when it did.
(y)

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
I think it largely comes down to looks. While the interior may be nicer, if you never own the Platinum then you have no reference and that doesn't matter, as long as the Lariat is comfortable. I had a 2017 XLT, then a 2019 Lariat. The Lariat was so far and above better than the XLT that to go back to an XLT would never happen, I would rather just not have an F-150 than drive another XLT.

But when ordering my 2021, I was considering the Lariat or going up to a higher trim as I hear the massaging seats are nice, and we do a decent number of family trips (or did, hoping it resumes soon). For me, I just can't get past the looks on the Limited and Platinum. I like the blue on the... Platinum I think? But that's about it. This is all my opinion and obviously everyone is different, but there has yet to be a generation of F-150 where I liked the wheels on the Platinum or Limited, especially the 22s which are just super off-putting to me, but I have an allergy to chrome, haha.

So I stuck with Lariat again. All the stuff you mentioned except massaging seats are on my 502a, I have the B&O Unleashed, Deployable Running Boards, etc, etc. In fairness I know the 2021 Lariat Sport interior also doesn't do it for everyone, I have come to like it and think it will age well, but the Plat and Limited interiors are also super nice, and their seats definitely look better too.

For me, even if the Limited/Plat were $500 more than my Lariat and even though I want the massaging seats, I just can't get over that I would never like the look of my truck if I got it. I couldn't care less what others think of it, I have to like it. So what this all comes down to is, if you like the look of the Platinum you are considering, then the $2700 or whatever (assuming that includes incentives for each trim) would be a non-issue. When talking about a $70k truck or a $72k truck, I think long term that's basically nothing.

Good luck!

OP
OP
F150Eh

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
@Madman @Vulnox Thanks for your thoughts on this! I don't know if its a difference in pricing here in Canada compared to the US, but for the two builds the price difference is almost $10k. If it was under $3k I'd have no issues going with the Platinum, but its the bigger price gap with the main plus being only an upgraded interior (and less powerful towing based on my builds) that has me pausing.

Sponsored

Krock7360

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Let’s take it a step further...in the rare event I see a 2021 platinum on the road I nearly break my neck trying to stare it down while driving down the road..or any 2021 for that matter. Anyway, curious for you Platinum owners. Are you all getting a ton of stares and comments on your new trucks?
I get stopped weekly trying to pump gas or at the grocery store and asked about my 21 Platty. Had 2 guys at the gas pump last week that came over for a look and to ask me about it

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I get stopped a lot also. It's funny, this is the most common vehicle in the US and people really are into them.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
@Madman @Vulnox Thanks for your thoughts on this! I don't know if its a difference in pricing here in Canada compared to the US, but for the two builds the price difference is almost $10k. If it was under $3k I'd have no issues going with the Platinum, but its the bigger price gap with the main plus being only an upgraded interior (and less powerful towing based on my builds) that has me pausing.
@F150Eh -

FWIW, my math was an apples-to-apples compare between 2 loaded Powerboosts. To do so, I added all the available features to the Lariat build until was (almost) equal the mostly loaded Platinum build. Price difference was about $2700.

So the trade-off boiled down to whether or not to spend $2700 (or 3.5%) more for massage seats and (what I felt was a significantly) a better interior.

The good news is that there’s no wrong decision here. (y) Best of luck!

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
I get stopped a lot also. It's funny, this is the most common vehicle in the US and people really are into them.
If the current s
@F150Eh -

FWIW, my math was an apples-to-apples compare between 2 loaded Powerboosts. To do so, I added all the available features to the Lariat build until was (almost) equal the mostly loaded Platinum build. Price difference was about $2700.

So the trade-off boiled down to whether or not to spend $2700 (or 3.5%) more for massage seats and (what I felt was a significantly) a better interior.

The good news is that there’s no wrong decision here. (y) Best of luck!
i thought I was the only one who put together an excel file with multiple scenarios haha. I completely agree. The Platinum is a good choice for the packages/upgrades you receive. I went into the whole process wanting a King Ranch but turns out the Platinum is slightly cheaper because the platinum package includes more of the items I wanted that had to be added to the KR.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
If the current s

i thought I was the only one who put together an excel file with multiple scenarios haha. I completely agree. The Platinum is a good choice for the packages/upgrades you receive. I went into the whole process wanting a King Ranch but turns out the Platinum is slightly cheaper because the platinum package includes more of the items I wanted that had to be added to the KR.
@Lpetters84 -

Ha! I went into this adventure planning to buy an AMB Powerboost Limited. When I did the Excel scenario comparisons, adding optional features to the Platty and Lariat, the price difference was a lot less than I’d expected. Ultimately, for me anyway, it mostly came down to looks (and the fact that you can’t get FX4 on the Limited). ‘Sounds like you had a similar experience.

Best.
Sponsored