Sponsored

Platinum Owners - Worth the Upcharge?

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Massaging seats (I mean...it sounds gimmicky)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)
- Power extended running boards
- "Platinum" tailgate and badges

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order
Window Sticker (forddirect.com)

Platinum On Lot
Sponsored

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
For me it was worth it. What I wanted in a Lariat, it was only a few thousand dollars less than an identical Platinum. The upgraded leather, seats, and rims was worth it to me.

Your mileage may vary.....just my opinion. Good luck with your adventure.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I went in wanting a Platinum or Limited but found a Lariat optioned up that fit the bill. I could've gone either way. To me, the upside of the Platinum is the nicer leather, real wood, and massage seats. The downside is that I don't like the wheels, the Platinum badging, and the tailgate that screams PLATINUM. And to me, the Limited interior is way over the top. I like the look of the Lariat better. Mine was optioned up and has almost everything the Platinum does and costs about $2500-3000 less, apples to apples. Both nice trucks, I don't think you'll be sorry either way.

NickIowa

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 PB
I also went Platinum, there quite a few reasons when I was doing my search. You all mentioned some, I know the upgraded headlights was on my list as well. I had a pretty long list that made it worth it.

MR B.Kind

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Anyone here bought the Platinum trim 2021 F150? With the plant shutdown in KC my Lariat order could be delayed well into our camping season (main reason we're getting the truck, pull our new trailer), and stock is really limited in my local market. Our dealer has a Platinum 2021 on the lot which is the only inventory that comes close to our feature/engine/towing spec.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the justification on the price difference. The main difference from my Lariat build seems to be:
- Nicer leather and "custom hand stitching" (although I do actually like the carmelo colour scheme inside)
- Massaging seats (I mean...it sounds gimmicky)
- Unleashed B&O Sound System (is it that much better than the stock sound system?)
- Power extended running boards
- "Platinum" tailgate and badges

Is there something else I'm missing? To be clear - the Platinums look NICE! It definitely has a more upscale luxury aesthetic from the sportier Lariat builds. Trying to reconcile the premium from a feature/performance view though (almost $10k difference in price).

Window stickers below for comparison, would love and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Lariat Order

Platinum On Lot
Wish I had not upgraded from my 2015 Lariat to the 2021 Platinum. My 2015 seemed so much more powerful the thing would set you back in your seat. The 2021 sounds very winded up not the engine power like the 2015. The camera in the 2021 sucks it is jerky not smooth like the 2015 makes me think that with the microchip shortage they used cheaper parts. I have not tried to tow yet but am worried about the brakes being able to slow the trailer and truck down. I like the Platinum but i hate the power boards they are LOUD I could not hear them at all in the 2015 model. Also the painted bumper i would have liked the chrome model that is on the Lariat. Also all the Tech that comes with the 2021 is not all in working order yet it is "coming latter" on the auto updates...
I would save the cash and get a Lariat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
F150Eh

F150Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Wish I had not upgraded from my 2015 Lariat to the 2021 Platinum. My 2015 seemed so much more powerful the thing would set you back in your seat. The 2021 sounds very winded up not the engine power like the 2015. The camera in the 2021 sucks it is jerky not smooth like the 2015 makes me think that with the microchip shortage they used cheaper parts. I have not tried to tow yet but am worried about the brakes being able to slow the trailer and truck down. I like the Platinum but i hate the power boards they are LOUD I could not hear them at all in the 2015 model. Also the painted bumper i would have liked the chrome model that is on the Lariat. Also all the Tech that comes with the 2021 is not all in working order yet it is "coming latter" on the auto updates...
I would save the cash and get a Lariat.
Which engine did you get in your Platinum and what engine were you moving up from? This one is the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, not the 5.0L V8.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I also went Platinum, there quite a few reasons when I was doing my search. You all mentioned some, I know the upgraded headlights was on my list as well. I had a pretty long list that made it worth it.
The Lariat 502a has the same headlights as the Platinum and Limited.

Just Me

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum Powerboost sold, 2023 Tremor 5.0 now

kwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Cherokee, 2021 F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Corporate Finance
- Wireless charger is another one but it's pretty 'eh' in my opinion.
- I was comparing a 502a to a 701a and the price difference was only a few thousand (as mentioned) so I swayed upwards to avoid future regret.
- Ultimately happy with the platinum but still catch myself coveting the lariat sport from time to time.
- The other thought I find myself having is at the platinum price point, should I have waited and picked up a gen14 raptor... That's a debate I find myself in every other week.

All the other things you noted like power running boards and massage seats don't move the needle for me. The only things you can't get on a lariat that you get with platinum are: wireless charger, lay-flat seats, massage seats, and a supposed 'nicer interior'.

Sponsored

KDK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The Lariat seats lay pretty flat, haha. And honestly, the only option that is probably worth it, is massage seats.

It's in the eye of the beholder, but the Platinum badging and interior, carbon fiber...it's just not my thing at all.

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Let’s take it a step further...in the rare event I see a 2021 platinum on the road I nearly break my neck trying to stare it down while driving down the road..or any 2021 for that matter. Anyway, curious for you Platinum owners. Are you all getting a ton of stares and comments on your new trucks?

Diceman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, Rapid Red, 6.5 bed
Occupation
Retired US Navy, retired manufacturing
As a soon to be first time Ford owner It was worth it to me. I like all the tech and really like the comfort in my old age. My Platty is due in around the 25th and if it passes my inspection I'll sign the papers. SIL has one and after messing with his for a couple hours on day I went and ordered one. Get what ya want.

SuvE

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired
I went for the Platinum from the start, and I'm glad I did. No regrets.

Fredm2002

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Platinum Antimatter Blue; 2018 Edge 1984 V-65
Occupation
Education
Let’s take it a step further...in the rare event I see a 2021 platinum on the road I nearly break my neck trying to stare it down while driving down the road..or any 2021 for that matter. Anyway, curious for you Platinum owners. Are you all getting a ton of stares and comments on your new trucks?
I usually get a few comments when we go to the city and park at the mall or stores. I have had a few 21 F-150 owners stop by and they all wish they had stepped up.

With that said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What you want or value is what you will get. To each their own. There is no right or wrong build. Just my opinion.
Sponsored